Sponsored by:

Build quality, MY00 vs new shape

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2002, 05:54 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My car (MY00 UK spec) is just over two years old and has covered 33000 miles.

On a good day, it feels solid as a rock, planted to the road and is hugely entertaining and satisfying to drive.

On a bad day, the interior squeaks and rattles like a car ten years older. There are noises from the dashboard, speakers, seats and windows, and the car sounds like it's shaking itself to bits. Any pleasure I might have derived from driving it is ruined by the desire just to make all the noises stop.

Most days are bad days.

What I'd like to know is:

- are there any common interior squeaks and rattles that dealers know about and can fix? I really can't be arsed going back every week while they guess at where the noises might be coming from.

- is the new shape car any better? I'm tempted by the new STI, but couldn't bring myself to buy one if it'll be just as bad.

All suggestions gratefully received,

Andy.
Old 23 April 2002, 06:11 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i was on the motorway on sunday, mate in the passenger seat. im on the phone and i can hear a whistling noise- after i finsihed the call i shut the passenger window which was slightly open causeing the noise. ahhhhhhh, says my mate, the last subaru i was in was the old shape and it made that noise as standard! i didnt realise the window was open!

Tiggs
Old 23 April 2002, 07:18 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That's one noise that thankfully I don't have, although the back windows sometimes rattle when they're open. The other noises seem to come from various bits of loose trim, but since they come and go on a daily basis I can't easily track them down or demonstrate them to a mechanic

A.
Old 23 April 2002, 07:42 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andy you got a standard exhaust by any chance . You should try STI suspension to find out the rattles . Heard all the stories MY01 better build quieter better fit cabin (fair enough) and goes like stink with "I cant hear myself think" full Decat .
Old 23 April 2002, 07:51 PM
JonM
Scooby Regular

I have an MY99 and it is just as bad as described above. It is far worse than my friend's 1997 STI Type 3. The Japanese import is far more solid, no rattles, and definitely a better build quality. I have been in a friends MY01 and this also seems of a better quality finish - however, I think the turbo has been tamed too much!

Jon.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:15 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Have a look in the interior section on MY01/02 rattle. I think your problem may be due to same thing. My MY99 covered 34,000 miles and on average I had to cure a trim creak or rattle every month or so after it was 18 months old. If you spray silicone based trim cleaner down the rear armrests and at every trim junction you may cure them (I did:) After all, trim creaks in the majority of cases are caused by chafing of dry components. Lubricate em !

I think the MY02 is better built and the quality of the plastics is better (no more Fisher-Price plastic)

Yorkie
Old 23 April 2002, 08:25 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Had a MY99 and now a MY02. Could point out 5-6 sources of noise on the old car without thinking about it but the new module is almost squeak free.

Both the MY99 and MY02 had rattles/squeaks coming from the steering column surround. A little clear silicon sealent did the trick on both modules.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:31 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

I took the door panels off, taped the polythene 'membrane' back to the door around the edges with gaffa tape, and then stuck foam draft excluder on the door to 'bed' the panel back on. Takes about 20-30 mins per door and produces a rattle/squeek free zone . I also did a bit of 'padding' around the stereo and refitted it.

Sorted. Sounds like a new 'un . Worked on my last 3 Scoobies everytime.

Otis.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:44 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

All the media seem to harp on about German build quality. Do BMW's/ VW's/ Audi's rattle creak or buzz ? I only know of an ex colleague who bought an Audi A3 1.8T a few years back and after 2 days there was an annoying rattle from behind dash.He had to have dash taken out to find it, then there was a cacophony of creaks because the fitter at the dealer didn't put it back right many trips to dealer followed.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:37 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hm... maybe a trip to a DIY shop for draught excluder and a new can of WD40 then. A few hours' worth of hassle, but cheaper than a new car

Yorkie: I have friends and colleagures with BMWs and Audis. They don't rattle, even slightly. My noisy and flimsy Impreza is almost an embarrassment - until they feel the turbo kick in and then they can't talk about anything else

Andy.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:51 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

My 99my is nowhere near as bad as some here. Sure there are a few small creaks on occasions but generally I find it quite good in this respect. TIP Don`t fill the glove locker up with too much junk such as pens, bottle openers, coins etc. Conversly, deliberatly put "rattly" things in it then explain any rattle you hear by saying "It`s only something in the locker"
In terms of build quality my sons STi-uk is way ahead on fits and finish, only time will tell if it remains rattle free(ish) The tyre noise on the std. Bridgestones however, is awfull (as Tiff said on 5th gear)
JohnD
Old 23 April 2002, 09:58 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Our MY02 5 door is virtually a rattle free zone.

In fact, the only untoward noise (apart from passenger's screams, that is) is the third centre seat belt buckle. This occasionally 'clunks' when going over a rough road (plenty of 'em in Yorkshire), as with the 5 door, it hangs from the C-pillar unless it's in use.

Used th have an Audi A6 Avant. That was beautifully built, but still had the odd bit of squeaky trim. In fact, the rear door used to 'zizz' all the time. The dealer managed to fix them, but put the interior releases back upside down, so they fell out when you tried to open the door from the inside......

Also had a Corrado. The door windows used to drop slightly over a rough road (must move...), until they rattled. So, every half hour or so, you had to lift them back up with the electric switches.

Also had a 16V Golf. That warped two clutch plates inside 15,000 miles - and it's not my driving. They came out virtually unworn! 'It's a known characteristic, Sir' said the dealer. At least I got a goodwill claim from VAG both times.

And don't get me started on Fords. Used to have a Ka as a second car. Most disgusting pile of c**p ever..... Fell to bits after 25,000 miles - but that's another story.
Old 23 April 2002, 11:54 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

My MY01 is totally rattle free after 14k miles.

But so was my MY99 up to the day it was killed with 25k on the clock.

Whereas every VW Golf I have been in has rattled somewhere including a recent hire car with 2k on the clock

The build quality is definitely far better on the New Age tho.

Cheers

Simon
Old 24 April 2002, 09:19 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Otis: thanks for the advice. This evening I fitted draught excluder round the edge of my front passenger door skin, where the most annoying buzz comes from - the one that's caused by the stereo and gets louder as you try to drown it out [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Turns out that a few mm of foam was nowhere near enough. I've now stuck a fat sponge to the door trim next to the speaker, so that it fills the space between the trim and the speaker mounting, and presses firmly on the trim all the time. It seems to have cured the problem (and I can't think what else do to if it hasn't!).

This weekend I'll get the missus to drive a few miles on the motorway while I poke and prod various other bits of trim and spray them with WD40

Thanks to everyone for your advice,

Andy.