Hello!! I'm new!

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2011, 11:24 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello!! I'm new!

Hello!
I'm Rab, I'm an engineer from the deepest most inbred part of Argyll in Scotland. I've been a Ford person since birth basically, but as there's nothing in my price range that interests me any more, I've had to start looking elsewhere for my next car. I'm sure all you Passionford lot who lurk about here will recognise me now....
I've been out of the car game for 3 years, as my wife started a pregnancy epidemic! I now have 2 kids and it's just chaos... But a recent redundancy and new job have changed everything. I have sold my Toyota Avensis 1.8 Colour Collection (I have no idea why they called it that, it's metallic beige) which I never drove anyways, the wife used it exclusively, and bought her a car of her own! So, I now have budget for something of my own.

I've spent the last week or 2 looking at Evolutions, mainly 5's and 6's while I wait for my money to arrive from wherever the MOD are screwing up the paperwork, but I'm put off by AYC issues, and stories of rods flying through blocks, and 'crankwalk' which I am convinced should be called crankshaft end float and not some dumbed down yank word... Anyways, waffling here. I have been eyeing up wagons. I am really quite fond of the shape of them, plus all that SPACE... It's just what I need with wifey and her obsession with taking every single possesion that we own on even the shortest of journeys... However, the bug/blobeye Wagons don't get my pulse up, and a hawkeye is way out my price range. The classic however, is my favourite shape. Downside to this, classics are getting on a bit.... And the Turbo 2000's don't seem to have the greatest power figures.

But, I'm sure I could fashion a decent engine and slip it into the UK Turbo 2000. Now, what are the options for engines? My entire budget is around 6 or 7k, and this will include buying the car. I realise I can get an STi Wagon's from Japan, where they sold that model, but they seem very pricey and all look a tad rough...

So, what kind of engine options do I have here? Please factor in the cost of some bigger brakes though, I don't wish to die

Last edited by RabRS; 22 July 2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: speeling arn grarmatical erross :D
Old 22 July 2011, 11:26 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Rab. Someone who has good experience with the Wagons will be along soon. In the meantime the search function will throw up a few good thread I'm sure
Old 22 July 2011, 11:46 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there hello and welcome here.

About the classic shape Impreza,i would go for STi wagon if its possible,depends how much bhp you are want,you have all ready good budget for future mods.

If you are looking for 350bhp,i would recommend VF30,VF34 or VF35 turbo,550cc injectors and FMIC,this will set you back around £600-£1000,350bhp classic will be nice to drive.

But still not sure if its your gearbox will hold this power,6 speed will set you back at £2-£2.6k.

And about the brakes i would suggest K-sport 6pots with DS2500 pads or used Brembo,both are sometimes in for sale section for good money.

And don't forget for good suspension,ARB,Droplinks

I'm owner of Bugeye wagon,which i'm modding...

Jura
Old 22 July 2011, 11:53 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the welcome!

Jura, an STi wagon does seem nice! However, they are 5 or 6k. And they look rough as... Does the STi wagon come with the DCCD? I was also hoping for a managment change to eliminate the MAF sensor as I know these are prone to failure.... It's all so confusing with Jap cars lol, so many different models!! I'll go for a nosey at your project then!

Cheers!!
Old 23 July 2011, 12:04 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RabRS
Thanks for the welcome!

Jura, an STi wagon does seem nice! However, they are 5 or 6k. And they look rough as... Does the STi wagon come with the DCCD? I was also hoping for a managment change to eliminate the MAF sensor as I know these are prone to failure.... It's all so confusing with Jap cars lol, so many different models!! I'll go for a nosey at your project then!

Cheers!!
Hi there

Here is few on eBay,maybe will help

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1994-Subar...3#ht_806wt_905

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-SUBAR...#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...#ht_997wt_1139

As for DCCD,not sure,but i think on classic this function has been available on WRX STi Type RA,someone will correct me for sure..

About the new ECU,i would recommend have look for SimTek which is very popular,if its budget little bit better Syvecs without the doubt is best for money.

Jura
Old 23 July 2011, 12:09 AM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Actually, they're alot less than on Pistonheads, where the cheapest was around 4k IIRC. Whats the STi bottom end good for?
Old 23 July 2011, 12:12 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Actually, they're alot less than on Pistonheads, where the cheapest was around 4k IIRC. Whats the STi bottom end good for?
Newage 400 or so, classic Jura will know
Old 23 July 2011, 12:13 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

STi bottom end will be good for around 350bhp,maybe little more,but this depends on more than one factor,how has been treated etc.

Jura
Old 23 July 2011, 12:19 AM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

I see, so for more power a rebuild is the only way? Hmmm....
Old 23 July 2011, 12:23 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I see, so for more power a rebuild is the only way? Hmmm....
Or fitting second hand New age JDM STi engine is reliable to 500bhp without the problem.

Rebuilding is second option,for who i went on mine for 2.1 stroker,price from £3k to £4,5k..

But on classic if you will have 350bhp,this is absolutely something different like have 350bhp on New age,classic is different league,because weight less(around 200kg) etc and is more raw than New age.

Jura
Old 23 July 2011, 12:26 AM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

I see. So, 350bhp. I'm assuming breathing, turbo, managment and injectors?
Old 23 July 2011, 12:32 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I see. So, 350bhp. I'm assuming breathing, turbo, managment and injectors?
Yes something like this.

550c injectors,Ported headers with Harvey Up pipe,HDi FMIC,SimTek ECU and VF34,VF30,VF35 or TD05-18G,fully decatted exhaust is recommended and you will have from 330-360bhp.

Jura
Old 23 July 2011, 12:36 AM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Okay. Thanks for the info! I will also keep my eye out for 2nd hand complete engines, ha ha, or maybe even a wagon that someone else has already sorted out with a decent engine, brakes, suspension and gearbox
Old 23 July 2011, 08:22 AM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Welcome Rab

Wagons are a nice car (others will lie and tell you different ) and I have had both wagon and saloon (drive another wagon now). Its a nice feeling when you leave some nice cars behind and see the look of wtf, an estate! lol

If you buy one modded already, you could be looking at one that's been thrashed to an inch of its life, but some are still well looked after.
Like everything you pay your money and take your chances

Classics are a great looking car even though they are getting on a bit now, but they can still shift.

Good luck with finding a top car
Old 23 July 2011, 09:50 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Hello!
I'm Rab, I'm an engineer from the deepest most inbred part of Argyll in Scotland. I've been a Ford person since birth basically, but as there's nothing in my price range that interests me any more, I've had to start looking elsewhere for my next car. I'm sure all you Passionford lot who lurk about here will recognise me now....
I've been out of the car game for 3 years, as my wife started a pregnancy epidemic! I now have 2 kids and it's just chaos... But a recent redundancy and new job have changed everything. I have sold my Toyota Avensis 1.8 Colour Collection (I have no idea why they called it that, it's metallic beige) which I never drove anyways, the wife used it exclusively, and bought her a car of her own! So, I now have budget for something of my own.

I've spent the last week or 2 looking at Evolutions, mainly 5's and 6's while I wait for my money to arrive from wherever the MOD are screwing up the paperwork, but I'm put off by AYC issues, and stories of rods flying through blocks, and 'crankwalk' which I am convinced should be called crankshaft end float and not some dumbed down yank word... Anyways, waffling here. I have been eyeing up wagons. I am really quite fond of the shape of them, plus all that SPACE... It's just what I need with wifey and her obsession with taking every single possesion that we own on even the shortest of journeys... However, the bug/blobeye Wagons don't get my pulse up, and a hawkeye is way out my price range. The classic however, is my favourite shape. Downside to this, classics are getting on a bit.... And the Turbo 2000's don't seem to have the greatest power figures.

But, I'm sure I could fashion a decent engine and slip it into the UK Turbo 2000. Now, what are the options for engines? My entire budget is around 6 or 7k, and this will include buying the car. I realise I can get an STi Wagon's from Japan, where they sold that model, but they seem very pricey and all look a tad rough...

So, what kind of engine options do I have here? Please factor in the cost of some bigger brakes though, I don't wish to die
Just to let you know the Evo IV suffered crankwalk; it was cured on the V and VI. And yes, I would be concerned about AYC (don't last long)...although I only managed to engage it three or four times during ownership.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:00 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Is Tony De Wonderful still selling his STI Wagon? It was going for a steal if I remember correctly.

Here you go............https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...n-3-000-a.html

Last edited by Myles; 23 July 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:56 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Hi Rab and welcome to the madhouse.

As you have 6 or 7K to spend and are obviously a handy lad wth the mechanics you could just find the very best UK wagon around which will be cheaper than any STI import and more likely to have history and then plonk in any motor you want.

A build from a newage STI block would probably be a good way to go as then you can add more power over time but you will also need to look at putting a newage six speed box in as otherwise the 5 speed will just get eaten when you go up power wise.

You can budget around £2-2.5K for the car, £2K for the box leaving you £2.5K for an engine which should get you a very nice car. You also want to think about brakes and suspension of course.

The only thing is it is still a classic wagon and market forces being what they are you won't get all of your 6-7K investment back when you sell it unless you keep the original engine and box and put her back to standard when you sell.

You could have a lot of fun with that sort of budget though particularly as you probably do a lot of the work yourself. The search function on here is your friend. There are also some amazing 'own garage builders' on here who would relish giving you any advice you need. Second hand parts are plentiful in the for sale section too.
Old 23 July 2011, 05:56 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by EOEUMC
Welcome Rab

Wagons are a nice car (others will lie and tell you different ) and I have had both wagon and saloon (drive another wagon now). Its a nice feeling when you leave some nice cars behind and see the look of wtf, an estate! lol

If you buy one modded already, you could be looking at one that's been thrashed to an inch of its life, but some are still well looked after.
Like everything you pay your money and take your chances

Classics are a great looking car even though they are getting on a bit now, but they can still shift.

Good luck with finding a top car
Hi mate, thanks for the advice. I see where you're coming from with buying a second hand modified car, but it does save alot of time and money, and more importantly time, as I have the patience of a small child in a sweetie shop with 50 quid in my hand I could live with a nice Blobeye I suppose, but could I get an STi for less than 7k? And more importantly, a blobeye 'looks' more expensive than a classic to the usual people who know nothing about cars, a demographic which includes the wife And the less she thinks I'm spending the better Besides, the classic was the Impreza that really made an impression on me when I was a teenager watching the Lombard RAC Rally! A pal of mine had an RB5 some years back, and it was a lovely car!

Originally Posted by andy.downes
Just to let you know the Evo IV suffered crankwalk; it was cured on the V and VI. And yes, I would be concerned about AYC (don't last long)...although I only managed to engage it three or four times during ownership.
I know mate, cheers. I did alot of research. Got some opinions from some people I know who work in the tuning indusrty that tell me some horror stories concerning EVO's... The other thing thats putting me off is the money. They are alot more expensive than scoobs, but you get the same levels of performance more or less. I know the engine on the non STi scoobs is a weak point when you compare it with the EVO, but year by year you're paying about 2 or 3k less for a Scoob! I can consturct a much faster and more reliable car for the money I'm spending. Or, I could spend the lot on a near factory but slightly rough 6 and hoping the AYC or Rear suspension arms don't fail and cost me big dollar.... Besides, they didn't do an estate EVO 6

Originally Posted by Myles
Is Tony De Wonderful still selling his STI Wagon? It was going for a steal if I remember correctly.

Here you go............https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...n-3-000-a.html
Thanks! That looks really nice! Sadly the MOD are dragging their paper-shredding ***** and haven't given me my money yet.... And by the time they do, every car that I like will be long long sold ha ha...
Old 23 July 2011, 06:01 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Op allowance?
Old 23 July 2011, 06:16 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Hi Rab and welcome to the madhouse.

As you have 6 or 7K to spend and are obviously a handy lad wth the mechanics you could just find the very best UK wagon around which will be cheaper than any STI import and more likely to have history and then plonk in any motor you want.

A build from a newage STI block would probably be a good way to go as then you can add more power over time but you will also need to look at putting a newage six speed box in as otherwise the 5 speed will just get eaten when you go up power wise.

You can budget around £2-2.5K for the car, £2K for the box leaving you £2.5K for an engine which should get you a very nice car. You also want to think about brakes and suspension of course.

The only thing is it is still a classic wagon and market forces being what they are you won't get all of your 6-7K investment back when you sell it unless you keep the original engine and box and put her back to standard when you sell.

You could have a lot of fun with that sort of budget though particularly as you probably do a lot of the work yourself. The search function on here is your friend. There are also some amazing 'own garage builders' on here who would relish giving you any advice you need. Second hand parts are plentiful in the for sale section too.

Thanks fella. I do plan on doing most jobs myself, but when I'm on leave, I have to be honest I kind of lose interest in oil, grease and cut hands...

Mind you, I am Scottish and have a serious allergy to actually spending money. So, I expect alot of jobs I will do myself. I have no garage so major work is something I can't do on the street, my neighbors would get upset. And as they're all in Yoda's highschool yearbook, that would be bad. Can't have all the old dears getting stressed and popping clogs

I hope to buy a new house sometime next year, and a garage is high on the prioritys list. Infact it's top. I've told the wife, garage is a MUST... She seems to reckon it's a nice kitchen, I ask her why as she's a hopeless cook... My patience will never stretch to next year for engine work so a new plan will need to be formulated

Anyways, thanks for the big welcome
Old 23 July 2011, 06:17 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Op allowance?
Come again?

Old 23 July 2011, 07:44 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Come again?

You said MOD, I automatically thought military..........
Old 23 July 2011, 08:04 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

You said MOD, I automatically thought military..........

Ahhhh, I see! Not completely military. I was in the RFA, it's the Merchant Marine part of the Navy. They made me redundant, and I'm waiting on my payout from the PPPA. Taking their sweet time too!
Old 23 July 2011, 08:12 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

welcome along rab from another scottish guy, to be honest for your 6k budget unless you actually want the fun of doing a re-build i would be alot more tempted by a newage sti probably bug or if you were lucky and got a steal maybe an early blob, yes the classic are more agile and some say thats where it's at!!.

but the newage engines are far superior, strnger built with forged internals sti, and also the 6 speed gearbox can take alot of abuse where as that would be one of the many limiting factors in a classic if you wanted to get say 360+bhp

Grant
Old 23 July 2011, 10:07 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Hello Grant, it's not so much the fun of the rebuild, it's the raw performance. Or something....

To be honest, I'm not keen on the looks of the bug. But I really do appriciate how good a car it is! I've not seen many STi wagons for sale though....
Old 23 July 2011, 10:12 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hello Grant, it's not so much the fun of the rebuild, it's the raw performance. Or something....

To be honest, I'm not keen on the looks of the bug. But I really do appriciate how good a car it is! I've not seen many STi wagons for sale though....
Last STi wagon has been Bugeye and few months ago one guy sold this for £5.5k,which is perfect price for Bugeye STi Wagon.

Jura
Old 23 July 2011, 10:18 PM
Scooby Parts
Former Sponsor

Buy the best classic wagon you can for 3k and a bug STi for 4k, swap the engine, box, brakes and interior and sell the rest.

Youll have an MY00 engine and box to sell plus STi suspension, panels, lights, spoilers, bumpers, doorcards, etc. Should be able to recoup 3k at least.

So youll have a great condition wagon with an STi7 engine, 6 speed box and Brembos for less than 4k.
Old 23 July 2011, 10:20 PM
RabRS
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooby Parts
Buy the best classic wagon you can for 3k and a bug STi for 4k, swap the engine, box, brakes and interior and sell the rest.

Youll have an MY00 engine and box to sell plus STi suspension, panels, lights, spoilers, bumpers, doorcards, etc. Should be able to recoup 3k at least.

So youll have a great condition wagon with an STi7 engine, 6 speed box and Brembos for less than 4k.
I like the way you think!