Advise on making insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2011, 04:27 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on making insurance claim

Guys,

I have never had to make a claim before, but earlier on while I was waiting at a red light some gayboy in a mini went straight into the back of me.

The police refused to come out and breathalyse (if thats how it's spelt) him, saying they only come out if people are injured.

He has claimed full responsibility, and I took some photo's on my phone, but he didnt have his insurance details, we have exchanged numbers though.

The car still drives, but the back bumper is cracked and hanging off on the right, the light is cracked, the boot dosent line properly and wont close.

The car is a 2000 bug sti jdm, my worry is the insurance might write off the car because of its age.

Could somebody please explain the insurance process to me and if I should call my insurance right now without the other drivers details?

Thanks
Old 21 July 2011, 04:32 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Yes call them now, get it logged and then you can always fill in the details later. I assume you at least have his registration number and address as well as his phone number. Give all this to you insurance company and they'll start chasing him. Fairly sure insurance companies will have access to this new database the DVLA use so will be able to tell you if the car is insured from the reg number.

And most of all don't worry it's only a car and it can be fixed. Even if they do write it off and you think it repairable you can buy back the car from the insurers at a reasonable rate and sort it yourself.
Old 21 July 2011, 04:37 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, yes I have his name address and reg no. Just wondering what happens to my no claims discount?

Last edited by TylerDurden; 21 July 2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 21 July 2011, 04:46 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

Run his reg number through this just to be sure.

http://www.askmid.com/
Old 21 July 2011, 04:59 PM
pjarvis6666
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A guy in a mini is def gay
Old 21 July 2011, 05:01 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TylerDurden
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated, yes I have his name address and reg no. Just wondering what happens to my no claims discount?
If liability lies with the person who hit you then your no claims stays in tact as the cost is bourne by the person who hit you ( the 'third party'). Being he hit you from behind you should be fine. What usually happens is the dipsh*t is so shocked due to the accident that they admit liability then after a few beers with friends changes the story, in a rear end shunt this is not so easy as if you run into the back of someone then it is deemed your fault - unless thy can prove you changed lanes and left them no room and have an credible witness or clear cctv footage and even so they still hit you.

call your insurance and report it asap. If the boot is not closing properly then chances are the boot floor is creased unless the bootlid is stoved in close to the striker mechanism. if your light is cracked and showing white light then get it covered or you could get busted.

If i was you i would be looking for a hire car until yours is fixed as you car cannot be made secure by the sound of it! usually your insurance will sort a car and claim it back from the third parties insurance as it is not your fault/liability.

Speak to your insurance ASAP!

Last edited by The Zohan; 21 July 2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 21 July 2011, 05:11 PM
Dougmy06wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phone insurance ASAP, hope you declared all/any Mods??

Doug
Old 21 July 2011, 10:12 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the replies guys, I have been on the phone to the insurance company, the mini driver was insured by Direct Line, all they needed was his reg no, like the website mentioned above, and I will contacted in the morning regarding a courtesy car, with no loss of no claims discount, and the excess will be claimed from the prat in the mini too.

However, they want to take my car to a Ford garage to have an estimate and do the work, the nearest Subaru garage that accepts insurance work is 60 miles away, I would rather Subaru do any work, rather than Ford, am able to have my own choice of garage do the work?

Thanks

Last edited by TylerDurden; 21 July 2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 21 July 2011, 10:22 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are not tied in to the Ford Garage and can get quotes from your bodyshop of choice .......as long as in the end the insurance OK's it as being reasonable. The Ford Garage is likely involved financially with the insurance company and get ready for the deluge of phone calls from PI lawyers and ambulance chasers in general

Shaun
Old 21 July 2011, 10:34 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Although you may/will not lose your NCB be prepared for an increase (possibly hefty) in your premium next renewal. Although you may be totally innocent, you are now (according to the insurance industry) more likely to make another claim! It'll take 3 years to get rid of the stigma.
If you don't take it to one of their approved repairers, you may not get a courtesy car while yours is being repaired.

JohnD
Old 21 July 2011, 11:01 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Although you may/will not lose your NCB be prepared for an increase (possibly hefty) in your premium next renewal. Although you may be totally innocent, you are now (according to the insurance industry) more likely to make another claim! It'll take 3 years to get rid of the stigma.
If you don't take it to one of their approved repairers, you may not get a courtesy car while yours is being repaired.

JohnD
Sadly, as John has said this is the case. They always ask for any accidents regardless of blame and take them into account.

I've always been of the opinion it's better to forfeit the courtesy car and have it repaired where you want. Most of the insurance 'repair factories' turn out poor work in the main.
Old 22 July 2011, 09:09 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ooopps......forgot about the free car angle, As Pink Floyd says it's often better to get the car properly repaired at your choice of bodyshop.

Have the PI / Ambulance chasers started yet

Shaun