Sponsored by:

Newage to Type R

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2011, 11:35 PM
tgp_motorsport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage to Type R

I have recently converted my 2002 WRX Bugeye to a Blobeye front end but am now wondering if I should sell it or not.

The car originally was a WRX on a 5 speed box but has since had a number of modifications including

VF34 Turbo
600cc injectors
FMIC
Cone Filter
Full 3" decat
Brembo Front brake conversion
BC Coilovers
Turbo Timer
Full STI Interior
STI bodywork
Rota 18" wheels on Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tyres
Remap

Currently running around 320 - 330 bhp

I am considering selling it and maybe buying a 1998 Type R

I'm a bit concerned about the creature comforts of the newage cars and lack of them on the classics. But thats not why you own a type r I know...

As I have never owned a Classic before I was wondering if i could have some opinions on the idea of going for a typr r for my next car.

Pros and cons would be helpful. Is there anything I should be looking out for on the Type R's?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by tgp_motorsport; 13 July 2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12 July 2011, 11:56 PM
band_wagon
Scooby Regular

1 under power who mapped it 2 new age is totaly different to classic i moved up and thought i was in a 4wd vectra lol no real postiveness unless cash chucked into it ... sell wrx buy new age sti i own a 640hp cosworth built gt35r motor bes car ive ever owned and its a hawk eye
Old 13 July 2011, 07:55 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After owning all manner of classic/new age JDM/UK Sti Scooby's, I'm settled with a 96 STi Wagon and a V4 Type R.

The later cars drive too fast too well. Boring is too much a word, however it's getting there. The Wagon I've owned for 4 years and I love it.

The R however is the most fun, and most involving and totally organic feel to the drive of all the Scooby's. It's lightweight shines. It still leaves alot to the driver, where the later cars can leave you cold. Yes, it feels stripped out inside, but I love this.

One word though. I sold a V4 STi a few years ago due its manic gearing. My current R is a WRX V-Ltd (330bhp) which has RA gearing so will top out at ~145mph instead of the 125 of the STi.
Old 13 July 2011, 10:56 AM
tgp_motorsport
Scooby Regular

I'm really keen for the stripped out feeling of the type R.

Does the close ratio gearbox on the type R's occasionally feel impractical or not?

Just out of interest, what kind of money should I be looking to part with for a decent type R?

I'm not too concerned about carrying out a bit of work here or there as eventually i'd be planning a full engine rebuild. Just need to sell my 2.0 litre VXR engined classic mini to fund it.

Thanks
Tom
Old 13 July 2011, 04:17 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

The gearing was why I sold. Longish blats were tiring. Pretty much always in 5th with high revs. Fuel economy was terrible with this sort of driving (although tbf blats in any scoob drinks fuel)

I would say a nicely mod'd Type R - 8-9K. Or 5-6 and expect to spend
Old 15 July 2011, 12:46 AM
tgp_motorsport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
The gearing was why I sold. Longish blats were tiring. Pretty much always in 5th with high revs. Fuel economy was terrible with this sort of driving (although tbf blats in any scoob drinks fuel)

I would say a nicely mod'd Type R - 8-9K. Or 5-6 and expect to spend
Now my search begins for a TYPE R
Old 16 July 2011, 07:46 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Here's one
Old 16 July 2011, 08:57 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

One word though. I sold a V4 STi a few years ago due its manic gearing. My current R is a WRX V-Ltd (330bhp) which has RA gearing so will top out at ~145mph instead of the 125 of the STi.
When you say V4 STI - was that an RA?

Only I had an MY00 Type RA and one of the reasons I sold that on so quickly was it's gearing. Really was a chore on anything other than short trips.

I thought the STIs had longer gears?
Old 16 July 2011, 09:12 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

I thought the STIs had longer gears?
They have Edd, im not sure what he means by the gearing was manic..

Last edited by jayallen; 16 July 2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 16 July 2011, 09:15 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally I'd try out a newage jdm sti before going back to a classic, I think you'd be impressed. They feel pretty sharp and it'd have to be a very special type r for me to go bavk (ie full newage engine and 6 speed, full chassis mods, brakes etc)

Trouble with the type r's is they are so old now you'll struggle to find a nice one. I'd certainly never want one with the old engine in that's for sure.
Old 16 July 2011, 09:43 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gearing on an STI (well a version 5 anyway) is 155mph at circa 8k rpm in 5th, though it is more high revving than a uk turbo etc its still livable, most of your family petrol hatchbacks will rev similary at similar speeds (though not as many revs in their range )
Owning both, the Type R is a great car, my Spec C is just better in every department though, it shows you how well subaru have come on from the classics, but you cannot compare a UK STI against a JDM one, 2 different beasts so im with James, try a JDM new age twin scroll car, they dont "feel" as quick but when you look down at your speedo you know they are quicker

Tony
Old 16 July 2011, 10:09 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I was driving to work in my type r this morning just thinking to myself how much I love my car

I love the gearing myself, sure it isnt brilliant for long motorway runs but I can live with it, the cars seems to be in its element crusing along at high revs and with an 8250 redline, sitting at 4K is a piece of cake for it

I've not driven a newage myself but cant see it would be anywhere near as fun, plus I really dislike 4 door cars
Old 16 July 2011, 11:00 AM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

I bought a 99 Type R "Limited" (known as the "V-Limited" on the version 4 and 6) as they have simular low gearing but the 5th is a little longer, not revving quite so high when your on the motorway at cruise speeds. they still have a low 1-4th so it was the best of both worlds for me. Being a 1999-on car also means the standard ECU can be remapped so you don't have to fork out for an aftermarket ECU unless you want to. The Limited's also have the rally style roof flap and full Lamco guage set and are only available in Sonic Blue.

Weaknesses are the MAF which is supposedly quite fragile compared to other years, although you can now get a conversion kit to convert the car to the later MAF. This can only be fitted however when being mapped.

Having come from a 93 wrx i can't compare too much in detail to a newage car, but they feel a lot more raw than any newage i've been in. Also with the DCCD they are a lot more lively (oversteer biased) compared to my WRX.

Hope this helps.
Old 16 July 2011, 11:22 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
I've not driven a newage myself but cant see it would be anywhere near as fun, plus I really dislike 4 door cars
Your loss
Pick the right new age JDM and you wont look back from a classic, worlds apart in quality and performance, though both are quoted 280ps (prior to 2005 on the JDM's) the in gear and through gear speed is better in the heavier JDM, plus all the good bits like not wanting to change up to 6th in the "R" and remembering you only have a 5 speed box

Tony
Old 16 July 2011, 11:29 AM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I'll take your word for it, one day I will try one

But the reason I bought this car is because I dont particularly like refined cars, with ABS, traction control and not even feeling like I'm driving the car

If its got 4 wheels, a seat and an engine thats perfect for me

For now I'll stick with my Type R, I enjoy wiping the floor with newage cars that have an extra 60-70 bhp

Unless youd like to loan me your spec C

Last edited by stef_2010; 16 July 2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 16 July 2011, 11:45 AM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had a 1993 wrx at about 320 bhp and now got a type r 1997 at about 300bhp and its a complete loon compared to my wrx and feels so much more raw i explain why but it does lol
Old 16 July 2011, 02:39 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

The MY04 twin scroll JDM I sold this time last year was a truly extraordinary Scooby. The engineering was a sublime synergy.

It had been reampped by Andy Forest to 370BHP. I tricked up the suspension so the limits of the car could easily and confidently be explored. The engine felt unbrakeable, the gearbox a joy. Telepathic intuitive input blah and more blah
Here's the suspension/handling thread

The other thing about the JDM (and all new age Scooby's) is their weight. Scooby's (and for that matter all contemporary cars) have become quite lardy. Stand next to a Focus, or drive one and it's plain to see. The JDM is 1495Kg's and the Type R ~1170. For me that's nearly an extra 3 big blokes in the car with you, and it's the Type R's lightweight which shines through when driving it, certainly on B-roads. I have a bike engined Westfield style kit car, corner weighted at just 523Kg's. Having tasted this almost mass-free acceleration (and deceleration), I will always seek the lighter weight option, for it's here where nibleness and ultimately fun lies. Not to say the JDM makes a bad job of things, it certainly does not, but it is there.

As for the drive itself, the JDM was nothing like the fun of the Type R. At the risk of being facetious, a monkey could drive the JDM fast. In fact there was the rub, at least for B-road use. You HAD to drive The car very fast to get to get to feel anything happening and by this time you were asking to be arrested

The JDM went too fast, too well, and without any real character.

The Type R is rear wheel biased, loves to be ragged and is the real thing as far as fun in a car is concerned. For a visual on what I'm saying see this video at 15.43 on, and how the driver compares the Type R STi V3 to the V5. This is what I mean Type R to JDM and indeed to new age (I haven't driven a Spec C)

So, there you are, here's one scooby fan who has indeed gone back to a classic - a Type R, from a JDM and in fact from ALL MANNER of classics and new age scooby STi's.

I don't want this to be a which is 'better', I'm sure it's a preference thing too, but when I see blanket statements rolled out whenever JDM is mentioned it's good to report what my time has been like with these cars.

My Type R has 330bhp which IMO is a sweet spot for road use. Before its last upgrade power was mapped at 313. This was nice, but the extra from a bigger turbo and front mount has made the subtle, but nice difference.

Last edited by bonesetter; 16 July 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 16 July 2011, 03:27 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

The JDM is 1495Kg's and the Type R ~1170. For me that's nearly an extra 3 big blokes in the car with younce.
I dont know where you read that the Type R is 1170kg but its not true fella, its not far off a 100kgs more than you state.....The RA is quoted at 1170kg but i know for a fact both my RA's weighed over just over 1200kg.
Old 16 July 2011, 04:03 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

The
The part of that video you quoted is exactly why I bought my V3 Type R

Mega fun !
Old 17 July 2011, 09:00 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
I dont know where you read that the Type R is 1170kg but its not true fella, its not far off a 100kgs more than you state.....The RA is quoted at 1170kg but i know for a fact both my RA's weighed over just over 1200kg.
'Also, there was a WRX STI type RA (4-door) available in Version III. These have the same motor, gearbox and R180 diff as the Version III WRX STI Type R, including DCCD, aluminium bonnet and front guards, no sound deadening and thinner glass. The ECU is also an exclusive tune. The Type R tends to be a bit stiffer and weighs 1,190 kg (2,600 lb).'

Wikipedia - Subaru Impreza WRX STI
Old 17 July 2011, 09:45 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

................and wiki is the source of all things correct.....
Old 17 July 2011, 10:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
................and wiki is the source of all things correct.....
have to agree there, not the best source of information

On a version 3 STI type R your looking at atleast 1250kg, a version 5 is (depends if its a limited or not) 1270-1280kg, the P1 is quoted at 1295kg (official book figure), the 22B with its weight saving is 1270kg, there isnt going to be a 80kg difference, especially when the type R's are reknown for being the heaviest of the classics.

Tony
Old 17 July 2011, 10:14 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

My classic was corner weighted at 1231kg with the only weight mod being an ally bonnet. Had 3/4 a tank of fuel too

TX.
Old 17 July 2011, 10:16 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony....
Old 17 July 2011, 10:16 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
My classic was corner weighted at 1231kg with the only weight mod being an ally bonnet. Had 3/4 a tank of fuel too

TX.
UK cars are one of the lightest as they dont have all the added extras that weigh them down

Tony
Old 17 July 2011, 10:26 AM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
UK cars are one of the lightest as they dont have all the added extras that weigh them down

Tony
you probably are correct but my type r 98 feels much lighter than my old 99 uk wagon.
Old 17 July 2011, 10:46 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stef_2010
The part of that video you quoted is exactly why I bought my V3 Type R

Mega fun !
But they put a type R up against a standard 4 door STI (which was 2 secs quicker btw ) but if you look at the comments on the MY02 Spec C, well that sums the lot up really, "there is nothing I dont like about this car" or words to that effect

Tony
Old 17 July 2011, 11:08 AM
tgp_motorsport
Scooby Regular

I'm now having a crisis as I'm more desperate than ever to move to the Type R after everyone's comments. The stripped out feeling is really what I'm after and although the cars are getting on a bit in age now, there still seems to be a large amount of well kept ones which is a bonus.
Old 17 July 2011, 11:12 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

If you want a stripped out feeling then buy an RA, the R comes fully loaded, it definately doesnt feel stripped out (my first Spec C did, no electric anything, no central locking etc, you had to adjust the mirrors by manually pushing them from the outside )

Tony
Old 17 July 2011, 11:25 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I went from a 450bhp stripped RA to a 450bhp Newage STi... only time i miss the RA is on the drag strip, on track i prefer the newage

Quick Reply: Newage to Type R