Cool

Top Bloke that Tiff
Knows his cars....
Old 22 April 2002, 08:43 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

unless of course he had fancied the Evo, then he would have been an old has been who does'nt know his oversteer from his understeer
Old 22 April 2002, 08:51 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry wrong
I'm a Tiff fan. Best was when Clarkson and Tiff went Head to Head with the Jag and M5 on Mira test track absolutly awesome.

Anyway Tiff did not slag either Car he just said the STI7 was easier to live with on an every day basis. If you are heavily into track days then you might prefer the EVO
Old 22 April 2002, 08:51 PM
Trucker Ted
Scooby Regular

What a difference from that dizzy Penny Mallory oooohhing and aaahhhing about this being so fast on Drivel.(N)

Keep up the good work Tiff.
Old 22 April 2002, 08:52 PM
NumptyScrub
Scooby Regular

Very true, since when Driven did a comparison they were "obviously talking out of their a$$" because they liked the Evo better.

Btw, I have always (and will always) say that there's f**k all in it between scoobies and evo's, since anyone who wants the "perfect" car will be spending money on mods anyway.

And we all know what the difference between a modded scooby and a modded evo is, don't we... that's right, the badge on the front

Derek (Evo owner who reckons scoobies are the bollox too... )
Old 22 April 2002, 09:07 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Nice to see an actual comparison of the cars good (& bad? - didn't seem to find many with either, which is about right ) points rather than drivel followed by "I didn't find it very easy to park, so lets give it a 6" method.
Old 22 April 2002, 11:08 PM
my2009
Scooby Regular

unless of course he had fancied the Evo, then he would have been an old has been who does'nt know his oversteer from his understeer

Well, the fact is that in that case he really would have been a has been... why do some people always think that we are _biased_ if some car journalist does not like WRX/Sti and we disagree with that? I'm tired of that BS... we are right about the car and if someone disagrees with that, they are WRONG! Wrong! it's that simple and no fekkin _bias_ ...
Old 22 April 2002, 11:18 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Is 5th gear repeated as I missed it?

Andy
Old 22 April 2002, 11:23 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's repeated tomorrow night at 7.00 apparently.

I missed it aswell cos the missus was watchin Eastenders.

Den
Old 23 April 2002, 07:41 AM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Blimey! ... i wouldnt have admitted to that one!

Rich
Old 23 April 2002, 07:51 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Look how many people missed the winky smiley at the end of my post
Old 23 April 2002, 08:13 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

While I haven't driven the STI and EVO myself it seems that Tiff got it right in terms of media consistency. The EVO is the better drivers car for sheer speed and raw appeal but it would appear to be just too comprimised for most people in day to day use. As Tiff said the STI is the better all round package.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:43 AM
George W Bush
BANNED

Here we go again.....
Old 23 April 2002, 08:45 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

Yeah, finally someone in the media gets the point. The Evo is clearly more extreme, the great thing about the Impreza is it's all-round ability.

If you REALLY want an extreme performance car then lets face it, we wouldn't buy a 4-door saloon would we. We'd be after a proper lightweight mid-engined car.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:47 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Have to say though, the Evo looked more fun on track with its sliding ability. The Scoob just seemed to understeer a lot.

DW
Old 23 April 2002, 08:48 AM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Evo was 2 seconds quicker on the track with 40bhp more.....will a PPP STi 7 be faster than the Evo?

I think it will and it will still be cheaper than an Evo, especially if you get a non prodrive...

But they are so close, if you forget the sensible angle (servicing costs/mpg etc) then it is just down to which one feels *you*, for me its the STi7, IMHO its got more character.....
Old 23 April 2002, 08:55 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I'm a Tiff fan. Best was when Clarkson and Tiff went Head to Head with the Jag and M5 on Mira test track absolutly awesome.
Definitely, I was surprised how well the Jag did (given the M5 was being driven by Tiff)..

Both cars got some excellent "air" over the crests too.
Old 23 April 2002, 08:56 AM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

" Yeah, finally someone in the media gets the point. The Evo is clearly more extreme, the great thing about the Impreza is it's all-round ability. "

He did however say it was a real pain changing gears all the time in normal driving, as opposed to the track where it came into its own.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:25 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

"He did however say it was a real pain changing gears all the time in normal driving, as opposed to the track where it came into its own."

Which is why a standard quiet un-modded WRX is my choice over the hard-riding frantic STi. Also why I wouldn't want an Evo. Got an Exige for the frantic stuff.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:30 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I find my new STI better around town than my old standard MY00. However the low down torque of my MY00 when it was prodrived made it ideal and better than the STI. When the PPP comes out for the STI then it should make it better than the PPP'd MY00.

The biggest hassle about changing gears on the STI is the running in period where 4000 revs is the limit. 1St gear 3,900 revs - A second later, Beep goes the warning buzzer, 2nd gear - 3200 revs - A second later Beep goes the warning buzzer, 3rd gear 3300 revs A second later Beep goes the warning buzzer etc etc.

Now it's run in.
Old 23 April 2002, 09:46 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

on the jag v m5 note, I hate to be pedantic but it was milbrook proving ground not mira, sorry peteuk300. :$

I actually did wonder how much of the 2 secs the extra 40bhp would account for. I personally reckon it wouldnt be much at all. The sti 7 did seem to just understeer and understeer.

The evo on the other hand, WOW, I thought it was about to spin completely a few times, but he brought it back every time (that we saw at least). Have to say of the two its the evo for me.

I agree it doesnt have much character, but then the sti 7 is still fugly (regardless of how many on this site now own one).

the only character the 7 has in my opinion comes from the boxer engine note, apart from that, it is confused, bulbous, and overweight.

Sorry guys, just my opinion.
Old 23 April 2002, 10:26 AM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with Adam,
The Evo looked awesome on the track, the Scooby did not.
Under steer, under steer and more under steer.
It looked pretty sloppy when one would expect it to be sharp and focused.

This type of car is all about extremes.
If not, we'd all be driving cooking models from the mainstream.
Whether we admit it or not, to be labelled as an all rounder means compromises have been made somewhere.
Old 23 April 2002, 10:48 AM
u r a bus
Scooby Regular

wasnt it a bit unfair to use these two cars as they had different bhp output, surely they should have had them at the same to get a better view.

if you want the real scoob then you have to import from japan..

people say this takes a while but it takes 6 weeks and you get a genuine 280bhp, the same as the evo
Old 23 April 2002, 10:49 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

"compromises have been made somewhere"

They are 4 door front engined saloons. Compromised from day 1. You want a proper performance car you go for a lightweight 2 seater surely?
Otherwise it's just a choice of how compromised you want it to be.

[Edited by BT52b - 4/23/2002 10:50:10 AM]
Old 23 April 2002, 11:08 AM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

I dont know about you lot, but I bought my car coz of its rally breed.. My car is an EVO6 i never bought it to have a dandy nandy comfy ride in. Its a rally replica, hard, fast and uncompromising and I love it.. Thats why I drive a car of this type, I love rally I love cars..

If you lot wonted an everyday car, why buy a rally replica? Thats just silly..

Old 23 April 2002, 11:08 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

a proper performance car you go for a lightweight 2 seater
TWO seats ? That's compromised too
Old 23 April 2002, 11:20 AM
JGRIFF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Reality check please guys, these are ROAD cars, they are not designed for circuit racing, track days, etc. Both are the basis for RALLY cars, but again there is no comparison, as a properly prepared Group N (Standard production!!, you know active centre diff, dog box, etc,etc) car is going to cost you circa £85K, without spares, for either car. I've driven both and own an STi, and as a high performance ROAD car, it's MY choice, yes, its slightly softer / less focused. that however makes it an easier and less tyring car to do long journeys in. The driving position is slightly better for me (Evo has the better steering wheel). Finally it has a fuel tank that will let me drive to Cornwall without refueling - something you would have to do twice in the Evo assuming that you left with a full tank. Tiff got it just about right in my estimation.

On a final note the crest where the M5 / Jag got airborne at Millbrook, is followed very shortly by a 90 left, so if you spend a long time in the air off the crest you haven't got the time or distance to get the speed off, ooops!!
Old 23 April 2002, 11:34 AM
BT52b
Scooby Regular

"TWO seats ? That's compromised too "

This is true, which is why when I was at the customer clinic preview of the Exige and I was asked how many seats the ideal Lotus should have I said 'one, like the Rocket'.
But it turned out they wanted opinions for the M250...and anyway, the other people there wanted 2 seats/air-con/cd players etc...
Pah!

[Edited by BT52b - 4/23/2002 11:36:40 AM]
Old 23 April 2002, 12:22 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Stiff Noodle knows his stuff.....currently. However, I seem to recall that phrases along the lines of 'failed race driver and talentless w4nker' seem to appear when he's not on our side.

Truth is, he seems like a good lad, and he has a job the rest of us can only dream of. You can't like someone like that.

Josh

Quick Reply: TIFF KNOWS HIS STUFF