Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Hawkeye wrx sti - ppp, exhaust and tyres??

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2011, 09:59 PM
alb-scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawkeye wrx sti - ppp, exhaust and tyres??

Hi Guys, I've just purchased a 07 sti ppp on the advice of some of you on here (was thinking maybe a gb270) and what a machine, i cant stop smiling everytime i drive it. The last scooby i owned a few years ago was a R reg. turbo 2000, this one is a different kettle of fish, absolutely awesome.
Anyway, was thinking of putting a blitz nur spec s back box on, not the full system because it already has the prodrive sports cat axhaust, they sound pretty good on youtube. Your thoughts on that please??
Also the tyres need changing soon, it has the bridgestone potenza RE070 on at the moment which are very good, not sure what they will be like in the wet though. suggestions on a good all round tyre would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Old 19 June 2011, 01:01 AM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Hi there. I've got exactly the same car as you. The PPP only includes backbox and the 2nd smaller cat (the one just after downpipe) is replaced with a straight through pipe. No sports cat on the hawkeye. The earlier blob STI ppp had sports cat.

I've personally replaced the centre section which comes just before the backbox, and has a large resonator/silencer on it, and replaced it with a straight through pipe, thereby removing the resonator. Releases a bit more sound while retaining the Prodrive backbox. It is still quiet but releases more of the burble without just being loud. Sounds full of character. I personally like it but to get more sound you only need to replace just the Prodrive backbox. I've heard the Blitz Nur Spec R and it is very loud. I assume the "S" is quieter and would be just right. Another very good quality make is Hayward and Scott which I used for the centre straight through section, and are very popular on this forum. They can do a full exhaust or sections as required.

The Re070 work well in the wet. I can vouch for that. Most torrential downpour today and they didn't miss a beat. However they are better in the dry but quite pricey and don't last too well. A very good alternative are Vredestein Sessantas. Good all round in both wet and dry and fair bit cheaper than the Bridgestones. I'm going for them next.
Old 19 June 2011, 11:34 AM
zayd
Scooby Regular

I bought my 2005 STi only 4 weeks ago and put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric 2 all round. They are a fantastic tyre in both dry and wet conditions, also have low road noise. My last car, WRX, had Asymetric 1 and I got 23,000 miles out of them!
Old 19 June 2011, 12:31 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

personally i did not have the confidence in a worn set of re070 compared to new, imo a world of diffrence, and dont even consider them in snow/sleet (thankfully some time away yet). i have just bought a set of falken fk452 off camskill. £300. good reviews, cant speak for them myself yet but the people that recommended them i trust. my other choice was the vreddies btw.

Last edited by my06 ppp silver; 19 June 2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spell
Old 19 June 2011, 02:00 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hayward and Scott and worth looking at. I have not heard them back to back with PPP system but from what I understand the H&S system has a lot more 'character'

If you are quick you might be able to pick up some H&S bits on the group buy in the sales section
Old 19 June 2011, 06:07 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

i put on a de-resonated centre section with my prodrive backbox and it does make it sound significantly better.
Old 21 June 2011, 05:33 PM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

I have the afterburner vortex (it sounds amaizing) tyre wize been using Good year F1, as the potenzas were aweful in the snow. but awesome everywhere else. had the F1 for 6 months and front have worn quite alot compared to the 070. HTH
Old 22 June 2011, 09:32 AM
GIB
Scooby Newbie

On my Hawk I've got a fully decatted afterburner with a Blitz Nurspec backbox. The sound is superb.
Old 24 June 2011, 08:56 PM
alb-scooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by matth76
Hi there. I've got exactly the same car as you. The PPP only includes backbox and the 2nd smaller cat (the one just after downpipe) is replaced with a straight through pipe. No sports cat on the hawkeye. The earlier blob STI ppp had sports cat.

I've personally replaced the centre section which comes just before the backbox, and has a large resonator/silencer on it, and replaced it with a straight through pipe, thereby removing the resonator. Releases a bit more sound while retaining the Prodrive backbox. It is still quiet but releases more of the burble without just being loud. Sounds full of character. I personally like it but to get more sound you only need to replace just the Prodrive backbox. I've heard the Blitz Nur Spec R and it is very loud. I assume the "S" is quieter and would be just right. Another very good quality make is Hayward and Scott which I used for the centre straight through section, and are very popular on this forum. They can do a full exhaust or sections as required.

The Re070 work well in the wet. I can vouch for that. Most torrential downpour today and they didn't miss a beat. However they are better in the dry but quite pricey and don't last too well. A very good alternative are Vredestein Sessantas. Good all round in both wet and dry and fair bit cheaper than the Bridgestones. I'm going for them next.
That sounds like a good idea mate i think i might do that first and see what its like. Could you tell me what part it was as there is a 2.5" or 3" centre pipe on the h&s website, and is it a staight swap/easy to fit? cheers now.

Last edited by alb-scooby; 24 June 2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 24 June 2011, 09:21 PM
alb-scooby
Scooby Newbie

I have gone for the goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2 tyres, look to have very good reviews. Time will tell!!
Old 05 July 2011, 02:42 PM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

In terms of the prodrive system on the blobeye sti's is it the same set up as the hawkeye, ie resonated centre and backbox with a sports cat on the downpipe? was gonna remove the centre section and to give mine a bit more burble, but i dont want it to be too loud

cheers

Barry
Old 05 July 2011, 02:54 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burt2000
In terms of the prodrive system on the blobeye sti's is it the same set up as the hawkeye, ie resonated centre and backbox with a sports cat on the downpipe? was gonna remove the centre section and to give mine a bit more burble, but i dont want it to be too loud

cheers

Barry
No sports cat on the hawkeye only 2nd cat bypass!
Swop resonated section for straight through makes a big difference!
Old 05 July 2011, 02:56 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alb-scooby
That sounds like a good idea mate i think i might do that first and see what its like. Could you tell me what part it was as there is a 2.5" or 3" centre pipe on the h&s website, and is it a staight swap/easy to fit? cheers now.
2.5" is the standard size!
Old 05 July 2011, 03:45 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

The Blitz Nur Spec R is an awesome sounding exhaust, it's pretty loud but it's not what I'd call ASBO loud, it sounds awesome with the Subaru flat four engine.

As for tyres, I've been running Toyo T1R's for the past three years and I have to say I've been pretty impressed with them, they're a good all round tyre and have always stood up well against the elements.
Old 05 July 2011, 07:01 PM
matth76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burt2000

cheers

Barry
As Greatgonzo said no sports cat on the hawkeye. I'd recommend replacing the centre section with a straight through section. It will make a difference but IMO it won't be too loud at all - it's more subtle. The backbox makes the biggest difference but I wanted to keep my Prodrive backbox as it's very free flowing and wanted to retain some of the Prodrive bits.
Old 05 July 2011, 08:56 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matth76
As Greatgonzo said no sports cat on the hawkeye. I'd recommend replacing the centre section with a straight through section. It will make a difference but IMO it won't be too loud at all - it's more subtle. The backbox makes the biggest difference but I wanted to keep my Prodrive backbox as it's very free flowing and wanted to retain some of the Prodrive bits.
+1
Old 05 July 2011, 10:36 PM
alb-scooby
Scooby Newbie

Got the h&s centre pipe on advise of matth76 and am very pleased with it. It was good quality and a perfect fit, with fast delivery. It is still quiet when idleing but sounds lovely when accelerating up through the gears, without being over the top.