ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

cheap front pads

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2011, 04:28 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheap front pads

Being newish to the scooby scene i purchased a set of mintex 1144 pads for my gb270 last year and they have to be the worst pads i have ever used in my life, the noise they make when stopping from 80 is unreal and i honestly thought something was broken. turns out they just need some heat in them.

thank god they are wearing out now.i came across a set of delphi pads on ebay that state they conform to O/E standard. made an offer of 18 quid and got them + 6 quid postage. They have turned up and i am pleasantly surprised as they even have the shims needed.
someone tell me i am a fool and they are **** as i cant believe they cost me 18 quid
Old 17 May 2011, 04:50 PM
SkydiveMacca
Scooby Regular

You want to scrimp on something that could save your life?

Odd.
Old 17 May 2011, 05:02 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkydiveMacca
You want to scrimp on something that could save your life?

Odd.
Total agreement - why would you want to put cheap pads on a scoob - or indeed any car ?

I have Mintex 1155 and 1144 (front and rear respectivly) on my Sport - never had any problems with them at all - my Mrs. has Pagid RS 4-2 (the blue ones) on hers - a little noisey but great !

Please don't fit the cheap rubbish - they are really bad news, man.

Andy
Old 17 May 2011, 05:33 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above. Bear in mind your gb270 is not OE spec, it's running more power than a stock WRX and that means the 'conform to OE spec' is irrelevant IMO.

Anders
Old 17 May 2011, 05:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If they are genuine Delphi and not fake replicas/copies they are probably fine for driviong within the confines of the UK legal speed limits...probably better than the mintex in as they work 100% from cold (unlike many fast road pads, I hasten to add). Remeber that when making a fast motorway stop (brakes will be cold) or when a kid runs out in front when driving in town when using fast road/track pads on the road..even at 20mph FR pads can be inferior to OE.

Obviously it goes without saying take it easy when driving hard and fast, as they may not be as heat tolerant (and probably need to gas off a bit before they bed in fuly). As soon as they fade..slow down and call it a day with your dose of adrenalin in the twisties. .

My Scoob ran Unipart pads along with EBC, Ferrodo DS something and Jurid. I found the Uniparts to be the best performing for my style of driving, and they were only £25 a pair.

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 May 2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:10 PM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

Well thing is i am driving the car like a nun at the moment as times is hard. The pads it came with from new were not anything special but subaru want 152 for a set.
I have tried all sorts of different pads in different cars over the years and never had a problem with any of them apart from ebc ones not fitting very well in a highly strung gti6 a few years back.
I dont get the point of 'skrimping with something that can save your life' a brake pad will stop you unless it is made of cheese. Why would anyone copy pads? the process of making a pad would be the same amount of work regardless of what materials are used.
I used to be a big fan of ferodo ds pads but i have recently found out that what used to cost 75 quid 2-3 years ago now costs around the 180 mark. Traders cant get a decent discount on ferodo ds pads now and they can only be sourced from one supplier and the mark up for traders is peanuts. All a bit of a swizz really just because ds pads have become the new buzz word in motoring circles.
There is no way on earth these mintex 1144 i currently have could be any worse than these delphi ones, but only time will tell, for 18 quid i will give them a go, never had a problem personally with the O/E pads that were in there from new i just replaced them with what i thought was a superior part.
i can als tell you that the ebay listing had my car listed as the correct pad for these delphi pads.
I also noticed a few posts regarding pagid pads being bought out by a big pattern supplier company ....maybe motorsport world but they are being knocked out at 49 quid a set, does that make them **** pads now? i dont know. will keep you posted on what these delphi ones are like, never know they might be the next ds2500?
Old 17 May 2011, 10:51 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

This is a no brainer if you ask me contact Aztec Performance on here and he can supply you with some pads for £40.00 which are very good I'm running a sti with 333bhp and using the Brembo calliper and they are fine for every day use.
Old 18 May 2011, 04:16 AM
gtisid
Scooby Regular

It is euro car parts that have bought the name pagid. pagid are now made in india and sell O/E typre pads at around 49 quid . does that make them crap?
Old 18 May 2011, 09:21 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Won't bother next time - maybe I'll just laugh and let 'em get on with it - at least I didn't take the **** like most would (and do) on here !

Cheers
Andy
Old 18 May 2011, 10:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by gtisid
Why would anyone copy pads? the process of making a pad would be the same amount of work regardless of what materials are used.
I understand the point. But honestly, they do exist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035

If there is money to be made, they will make knock-offs of anything.

Although I think the main issue here is if they really are OEM quality (as advertised) or not, rather than being counterfeit.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 May 2011 at 10:06 AM.