ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   cheap front pads (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/888977-cheap-front-pads.html)

gtisid 17 May 2011 04:28 PM

cheap front pads

Being newish to the scooby scene i purchased a set of mintex 1144 pads for my gb270 last year and they have to be the worst pads i have ever used in my life, the noise they make when stopping from 80 is unreal and i honestly thought something was broken. turns out they just need some heat in them.

thank god they are wearing out now.i came across a set of delphi pads on ebay that state they conform to O/E standard. made an offer of 18 quid and got them + 6 quid postage. They have turned up and i am pleasantly surprised as they even have the shims needed.
someone tell me i am a fool and they are **** as i cant believe they cost me 18 quid

SkydiveMacca 17 May 2011 04:50 PM

You want to scrimp on something that could save your life?

Odd.

dark_angel 17 May 2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SkydiveMacca (Post 10044067)
You want to scrimp on something that could save your life?

Odd.

Total agreement - why would you want to put cheap pads on a scoob - or indeed any car ?

I have Mintex 1155 and 1144 (front and rear respectivly) on my Sport - never had any problems with them at all - my Mrs. has Pagid RS 4-2 (the blue ones) on hers - a little noisey but great !

Please don't fit the cheap rubbish - they are really bad news, man.

Andy

Anders_WR1 17 May 2011 05:33 PM

Agree with the above. Bear in mind your gb270 is not OE spec, it's running more power than a stock WRX and that means the 'conform to OE spec' is irrelevant IMO.

Anders

ALi-B 17 May 2011 05:38 PM

If they are genuine Delphi and not fake replicas/copies they are probably fine for driviong within the confines of the UK legal speed limits...probably better than the mintex in as they work 100% from cold (unlike many fast road pads, I hasten to add). Remeber that when making a fast motorway stop (brakes will be cold) or when a kid runs out in front when driving in town when using fast road/track pads on the road..even at 20mph FR pads can be inferior to OE. :nono:

Obviously it goes without saying take it easy when driving hard and fast, as they may not be as heat tolerant (and probably need to gas off a bit before they bed in fuly). As soon as they fade..slow down and call it a day with your dose of adrenalin in the twisties. ;).

My Scoob ran Unipart pads along with EBC, Ferrodo DS something and Jurid. I found the Uniparts to be the best performing for my style of driving, and they were only £25 a pair.

gtisid 17 May 2011 08:10 PM

Well thing is i am driving the car like a nun at the moment as times is hard. The pads it came with from new were not anything special but subaru want 152 for a set.
I have tried all sorts of different pads in different cars over the years and never had a problem with any of them apart from ebc ones not fitting very well in a highly strung gti6 a few years back.
I dont get the point of 'skrimping with something that can save your life' a brake pad will stop you unless it is made of cheese. Why would anyone copy pads? the process of making a pad would be the same amount of work regardless of what materials are used.
I used to be a big fan of ferodo ds pads but i have recently found out that what used to cost 75 quid 2-3 years ago now costs around the 180 mark. Traders cant get a decent discount on ferodo ds pads now and they can only be sourced from one supplier and the mark up for traders is peanuts. All a bit of a swizz really just because ds pads have become the new buzz word in motoring circles.
There is no way on earth these mintex 1144 i currently have could be any worse than these delphi ones, but only time will tell, for 18 quid i will give them a go, never had a problem personally with the O/E pads that were in there from new i just replaced them with what i thought was a superior part.
i can als tell you that the ebay listing had my car listed as the correct pad for these delphi pads.
I also noticed a few posts regarding pagid pads being bought out by a big pattern supplier company ....maybe motorsport world but they are being knocked out at 49 quid a set, does that make them **** pads now? i dont know. will keep you posted on what these delphi ones are like, never know they might be the next ds2500?

greatgonzo 17 May 2011 10:51 PM

This is a no brainer if you ask me :Whatever_ contact Aztec Performance on here and he can supply you with some pads for £40.00 which are very good I'm running a sti with 333bhp and using the Brembo calliper and they are fine for every day use.

gtisid 18 May 2011 04:16 AM

It is euro car parts that have bought the name pagid. pagid are now made in india and sell O/E typre pads at around 49 quid . does that make them crap?

dark_angel 18 May 2011 09:21 AM

Won't bother next time - maybe I'll just laugh and let 'em get on with it - at least I didn't take the piss like most would (and do) on here !

Cheers
Andy

ALi-B 18 May 2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gtisid (Post 10044434)
Why would anyone copy pads? the process of making a pad would be the same amount of work regardless of what materials are used.

I understand the point. But honestly, they do exist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-10846035

If there is money to be made, they will make knock-offs of anything.

Although I think the main issue here is if they really are OEM quality (as advertised) or not, rather than being counterfeit.