is prodrive listed on the LSE??

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 1999, 12:01 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

hi there
I always wondered. most of the time there is so much research and enthusiasm on this BBS that we no the news before most other people.

also any one here into stocks? it has been really exciting over the last couple of months
Old 17 December 1999, 02:30 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dave Richard has just sold 49% of Prodrive to a company callaed APAX.

Rumours abound that this is a precursor to flotation.

As for stocks the only ones I know about are ... Less said the better

Hope the above helps though
Old 17 December 1999, 06:16 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

cool
i will check APAX OUT??

thanks
i take this will be this thread finished!!
Old 18 December 1999, 06:21 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

i suppose your referring to the frenzied "buy anything with dot com?".

Old 19 December 1999, 01:10 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

yep sunilp
right now there is very few stcks that won't make you money. i mean you rally have to be pretty unlucky lo get it wrong

sam
Old 19 December 1999, 06:44 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Is anyone on this BBS interested in starting a share club?

Everyone can make money in a climate like this but you still can mess up...be careful and dont get greedy...thats the usual cause of loss!

Anyhow, about the share club anyone?
Old 19 December 1999, 06:58 PM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not a bad idea Sunil.

Using this forum you could end up with the largest share club in the world.

Hey who knows, one day we may even be able to buy that 20pct stake that GM bought in FHI.

I'm definately interested.

Dave
Old 19 December 1999, 07:13 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi sunilp
a share club is a good idea that is what I had in mind when I posted this thread. I have been in stocks for almost a year now and I have to say, if you do your research right it is not as risky as it looks.

which broker are you using (I have been having loads of delay with mine-cs)

Sam
Old 19 December 1999, 09:23 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

I am in the process of registering with DLJ and ETrade. I used to be a strict pooled investment person (i.e. unit trusts etc) but i now have enough "safe" capital to spice things up a bit.

Mail me offline and we can sort this out asap if you want.
Old 20 December 1999, 11:03 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Hi sunilp,sam, dave,
I too do alot of online dealing,i started with virtually nothing-building society give aways, and have just bought my brand new scoob from my all my profits over the last 30 months.

I use stocktrade,brearley,etrade,cs and halifax,it pays to have at least 2 as you sometimes experience problems accessing the sites.

Etrade's research,info and bb are very good,i've picked up a few tips on the bb and after research and good timing these have paid off.i don't rate there actual dealing system as myself and many others have experienced regular problems with it when other systems have been ok.

stocktrade has been the best system and it has just reduced its commission,only problem is no limit orders taken but very reliable.15 live prices on screen with instant dealing to mm's.very fast.

brearley is just about the same as above but with telephone limits taken.

CS commission abit steep but online limits and margin dealing,only one price on screen.

halifax only £5 per deal until jan 12th odd,reasonable commission after that.settlement t+5 from your own bank acc and 10k dealing limit.

I think a share club is a great idea. three years ago i didn't even know what a share was ,today i trade whenever i can , it is such a buzz when you get it right abit like driving your scoob!(i haven't got it wrong yet-i know it will happen one day big style, just waiting for that bad day, it catches everyone out at some point.but watch out this hobby will soon turn into an obsession-believe me.

REMEMBER

'the value of shares can FALL as well as rise' do your own research and don't get greedy, leave some for the next bloke,it could be you.

how about posting what areas were in on a share club thread to see if theres enough interest.

paul northants
Old 20 December 1999, 11:35 PM
Colin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Interesting to see others into share dealing. Made some comments recently on this BBS about the Trafficmaster open day I went to (invited as I am a shareholder) - so some peripheral useful benefits. I use Etrade extensively for research and their BBS (40,000 members) is IMHO currently the best investment BBS. Also advfn.co.uk is an up and coming share investment site with some good discussion on their Premium BBS but lacks the cut and thrust of the Etrade one. There's loads of other sites and BBSs, but most are rubbish - especially the free ones. Also beware the rampers - people that post false information under various pseudonyms to all the BBSs in order to push up the share price. Lots of first time investors have been taken for a ride recently.
Old 21 December 1999, 08:04 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

So, whoever is SERIOUSLY interested in pooling into a share clube please EMAIL me.

Regards
Old 21 December 1999, 01:41 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Sunil, sell this for what it is: an attempt to get enough people together to buy out Bell & Colvill...
Old 21 December 1999, 02:00 PM
Sheridan
Scooby Regular

I use and have been very satisfied with e-trade so far, today is the real test sold some stock last night, how long do they take to wire funds?????????????????
Old 21 December 1999, 02:09 PM
Sanity
Scooby Newbie

You should get your funds in between 2 and 3 days. I phoned them yesterday to wire some cash back and they said they were very busy with the holiday season and all!! Still, she was confident of 3 days max.

However, there is a settlement period too!! This is regulatory and 3 days long. So if you sold yesterday I don't think you'll see your funds this side of Xmas.

[This message has been edited by Sanity (edited 21-12-1999).]
Old 21 December 1999, 02:20 PM
Sheridan
Scooby Regular

That would be good I wasn't expecting anything before mid Jan based on previous brokers I have dealt with, mind you these were options so I only have 30 days to pay the tax AAARRRGGGHHH
Old 21 December 1999, 06:39 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

very interesting.
i have not used ETRADE, but it looks like i am going to still have not got my money for a share deal in NOV. DEALING with CS.
just out of interest.
what is every body holding right now.?

sam
SEG,RGE,DLG. AND MAY BE GLFA soon
Old 21 December 1999, 09:14 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

I have only recently been thinking of toying with a flurry on the stockmarket. And feel a share club would be a good way forward.

Because of my line of work I have to do quite a bit of research in to new technologies and their business applications and have a few hot numbers in mind - but they're american companies. If we had a share club would we be able to trade american stocks. For that matter - if a share club does not get off the ground, what's the easiest/cheapest way for an individual to trade in american stocks?

It would be a laugh to do a risk profile of the SIDC share club - what with us all owning super cars

Regards
James
Old 21 December 1999, 09:20 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

James
American stocks are fine if you know the companies. so you can be of great help. DLJ and E trade and CHARLES SCHWAB all allow you to deal with American and UK stock in the same exact fashion. the only thing is you can't have them in a ISA and therefore you would need to pay some sort of tax on them in the US. so the are not as cost effective unless the profit margins are big.

cheers

Sam

[This message has been edited by Sam Elassar (edited 21-12-1999).]
Old 21 December 1999, 09:50 PM
ChrisB

Hi Folks,

Sunil - I've mailed you off-line.

I'm certainly interested in the share club idea. I've got the forms for Charles Schwab on my desk at the moment, but keep forgetting about them!

It's worth visiting the Motley Fool website for some news & advice but with a light hearted slant -
Old 15 May 2007, 01:45 AM
renny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Biggsy
Long live oik

Tw@t