Sponsored by:

which engine?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2011, 09:05 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which engine?

hi,just weighing up more options as to what to do with my car,(v4 98 type r).
Are there any engines that will drop straight into my car (long engines/short)
apart from the obvious 98 sti engine.newage sti complete with heads etc?
what is a straight swap and which ones would would require lots of labour to mix/match heads etc?
will an sti8 complete engines with heads etc go straight in with my 5 speed box?
or am i just being being stupid?
Old 28 March 2011, 09:25 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm running JDM STI V9 Spec C coupled with my STI V3 heads and 5 speed.
Old 28 March 2011, 09:29 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
did powerstation do all the work mate?sounds nice btw!
Old 28 March 2011, 09:29 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Sti8 Wont fit due to avcs heads. Your ecu won't run the variable valve timing. A 2.5 short motor from a later car with your heads or sti heads off the same year of car as yours will work and is a fairly straight forward swap and will be fairly reliable depending on how hard you push the car. With the 2.5 you will still be able to run your 5 speed fly wheel, gearbox and clutch again depending on how hard you push the car.
Old 28 March 2011, 09:32 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
That's good power figures on a 5 speed box! Mine lasted 2 weeks at 385 bhp on my 2 ltr!
Old 28 March 2011, 09:34 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by biggazvr6
Sti8 Wont fit due to avcs heads. Your ecu won't run the variable valve timing. A 2.5 short motor from a later car with your heads or sti heads off the same year of car as yours will work and is a fairly straight forward swap and will be fairly reliable depending on how hard you push the car. With the 2.5 you will still be able to run your 5 speed fly wheel, gearbox and clutch again depending on how hard you push the car.
thanks,i will be running an apexi power fc,but wont be pushing over 300bhp as i want the gearbox to stay good.so will the apexi work with the avcs heads?
is there not loads of machineing/labour to get the heads matched etc?thanks.
Old 28 March 2011, 09:44 PM
newby
Scooby Regular

hi mate i am in the same position as you with my 05 blob.i was considering an sti8 short motor with my heads,would i still be able to run a 5 speeb gearbox if i did?would i need a remap because of the different compression?its an absolute minefield,so many different options and advice.
Old 28 March 2011, 09:45 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

As far as I'm aware, I think the only ecu that can run avcs is the motec but I may be wrong. Either the heads you have or the sti ones you get will need a light planing by a machine shop. You will need new head gaskets and head bolts, timing belt kit and may aswell do water pump at same time. Not sure on labour costs tbh, as they all vary. Advanced automotives in Bristol are cheap for the parts with free advice.......
Old 28 March 2011, 09:54 PM
biggazvr6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newby
hi mate i am in the same position as you with my 05 blob.i was considering an sti8 short motor with my heads,would i still be able to run a 5 speeb gearbox if i did?would i need a remap because of the different compression?its an absolute minefield,so many different options and advice.
05 sti will fit with your heads. Shouldn't need a remap as it's virtually the same but maybe worth having it checked on the lap top when it's done to make sure everythings hunky doary!!!!
Old 28 March 2011, 10:03 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newby
the options are endless,im not bothered about a BIG build as my budget is hideous and i dont want to run any more than about 300bhp as i dont need the expense of a fooked gearbox.
ive got to shed out a load of cash and i would like to know what all the options are and what is involved(more labour,less labour etc),i cant even get the fookin engine out myself as i havent got a clue!
it would be nice to know which way to go as regards cost and less risk of the bottom end going after its been fixed.if it happened again it would be devastating.i would probably lose my mrs for starters!
it would **** my finances totally.....it dosent bere thinking about!
Old 28 March 2011, 10:28 PM
andy66
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, i'm going down the stiv8 scd, but using my own v4 uk heads.
I'm no expert, so i have looked at all the options, took me ages .
The main problem is the fuel delivery to number 3 cylinder, same as you, be running apexi, which does reduce possible lean running, it wont erradicate it, so im going for paralell fuel rails,fuel pressure regulator and 3 port boost solenoid and fmic.
Your gearbox and clutch should be ok upto the 300 mark, after that, you're looking at upgrading i'm affraid.
Get intouch with some tuners, and state your budget and needs, and take it from there mate
Old 28 March 2011, 10:40 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
did powerstation do all the work mate?sounds nice btw!
Yep, all done at powerstation.
Yea its a really good car, thanks..
Old 28 March 2011, 10:42 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

That's good power figures on a 5 speed box! Mine lasted 2 weeks at 385 bhp on my 2 ltr!
Yea running 382 with my 5 speed. So far so good, im just considerate with it, lol.
Paul has told me that im just about at the limit so if i want more power then got to fork out for a 6 speed. More bloody money, lol.
Old 28 March 2011, 11:04 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

thanks guys.
Old 28 March 2011, 11:18 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
the options are endless,im not bothered about a BIG build as my budget is hideous and i dont want to run any more than about 300bhp as i dont need the expense of a fooked gearbox.
ive got to shed out a load of cash and i would like to know what all the options are and what is involved(more labour,less labour etc),i cant even get the fookin engine out myself as i havent got a clue!
it would be nice to know which way to go as regards cost and less risk of the bottom end going after its been fixed.if it happened again it would be devastating.i would probably lose my mrs for starters!
it would **** my finances totally.....it dosent bere thinking about!
As said on your earlier thread speak to someone like David at API or Alan at enginetuner they will.give you all your options and the best / safest way within your budget. Remember they will fit an engine you have sourced if need be but more importantly how many blocks have they removed to fit bigger and better engines and have the old ones kicking around that they may be willing to offer a deal on.

You can spend as much time asking on here but if I were you I would get on the phone to see what they can do

And again good luck with it all,
Old 28 March 2011, 11:46 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I'm aware, I think the only ecu that can run avcs is the motec but I may be wrong. Either the heads you have or the sti ones you get will need a light planing by a machine shop. You will need new head gaskets and head bolts, timing belt kit and may aswell do water pump at same time. Not sure on labour costs tbh, as they all vary. Advanced automotives in Bristol are cheap for the parts with free advice.......
No matey you can run AVCS on more ECU like is Motec,you have several option like is Simtek,Syvecs or Autronics,Link,Gems or even JDM new age WRX ECU.

Jura
Old 28 March 2011, 11:57 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
No matey you can run AVCS on more ECU like is Motec,you have several option like is Simtek,Syvecs or Autronics,Link,Gems or even JDM new age WRX ECU.

Jura
its all good mate,i will be using my heads.ive decided to go the sti8 route.
apexi will do the trick nicely.