ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

OMG, speed limiter !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2011, 12:26 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Default OMG, speed limiter !!!!!

Got my new work van this week. It's a bloody Renault Kangoo thing.
And the worst thing is it's got a sodding speed limiter.

68 MPH !!!!!!!!!

Yes you read it right, 68. I can't even meet the national speed limit on the motorway. What a joke, it's driving me crazy sat in the slow lane of the M11 being overtaken by every Tom Dick and Harry.

The company reckons it's gonna save them fortunes in diesel cost. I can assure you it's not though as I'm driving it on the rev limiter in third everywhere.
Old 25 March 2011, 03:38 PM
Megaman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once up to 68mph try and knock it into neutral down the hills, might free wheel quicker to let you overtake something
Old 25 March 2011, 03:45 PM
Mr Windscreen
Scooby Regular

Join the club mate, transit connect limited to 68 as well!
Old 25 March 2011, 04:37 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Disconnect it!
Old 25 March 2011, 04:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

AFAIK it's one fuse.

BUT: it DOES consitute gross misconduct and, as such, instant dismissal if caught
Old 25 March 2011, 05:04 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

Originally Posted by alcazar
AFAIK it's one fuse.

BUT: it DOES consitute gross misconduct and, as such, instant dismissal if caught
what if it were to "blow" of it's own accord ???

windyboy
Old 25 March 2011, 05:09 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983

68 MPH !!!!!!!!!

Yes you read it right, 68. I can't even meet the national speed limit on the motorway. What a joke, it's driving me crazy sat in the slow lane of the M11 being overtaken by every Tom Dick and Harry.

The company reckons it's gonna save them fortunes in diesel cost. I can assure you it's not though as I'm driving it on the rev limiter in third everywhere.
They're just looking after your licence matey as the national speed limit on the motorway for vans is in fact 60mph so you do meet it! By driving it on the limiter you're actually 8mph over

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety...vanspeedlimits
Old 25 March 2011, 05:28 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
They're just looking after your licence matey as the national speed limit on the motorway for vans is in fact 60mph so you do meet it! By driving it on the limiter you're actually 8mph over

You learn something everyday!
Old 25 March 2011, 05:29 PM
gdaines
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

I've been driving for 25 years, many vans in that time, and I never knew that! I've always travelled at 70(ish) so I guess I've been lucky.
Old 25 March 2011, 06:16 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Speed limit on motorway for small van (like mine) is actually 70 buddy.

Tried free wheeling on the way home, still bloody 68.

Rang my pal who works for the company who supply the vans to my company and he reckons it's limited within the ECU. Needs plugging in and turning off, but my bosses will know I've done this as they also fitted a fooking tracker.
Old 25 March 2011, 06:31 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Sorry I made a mistake,,,
Any van under 7.5 tons can travel at 70 on the motorway.

http://www.smartdriving.co.uk/Drivin...ed_limits.html
Old 25 March 2011, 08:11 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

just recently got a new ford transit limit on that is set at 72!
worst thing of all is the bloody light beeper (work at night) wish i could turn that off.
Old 25 March 2011, 08:29 PM
mike h
Scooby Regular

Count yourself lucky, try doing 56mph for hours on end
Old 21 July 2013, 08:05 PM
timmeh1975
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by alcazar
AFAIK it's one fuse.

i just got a van that is capped at 68mph too, so frutrating

please does any one know how to remove limit

is it just a fuse ??? if so which one.......please help !!!
Old 21 July 2013, 09:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

No on new vans its not a fuse. Its built into the ecu program. Ive only tried a fiat doblo. My diagnostics kit allows me to adjust the limiter on them. Havent had the need or been asked to try it on anything different yet
Old 21 July 2013, 09:44 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry but good, way over due, we professionals (hgv) drivers are limited to 56 but most van drivers run about like loonies with no limiters, had to happen at some point.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:22 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Well I've since had another new van since the thread started. Now have a 62 plate short wheel base transit, 100bhp and no limiter :-)
She absolutely flies !!!!
Old 21 July 2013, 10:22 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **jay**
Sorry but good, way over due, we professionals (hgv) drivers are limited to 56 but most van drivers run about like loonies with no limiters, had to happen at some point.
Professionals? you must be one of a select few that actually sticks to 40mph on single carriageway roads
Old 21 July 2013, 10:26 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Well I've since had another new van since the thread started. Now have a 62 plate short wheel base transit, 100bhp and no limiter :-)
She absolutely flies !!!!
I also have a 62 plate Transit but with limiter and she flies..........up to 72mph. Overtaking is a bit scary sometimes as because it is quite quick acceleration wise, you hit 72 in 4th so change into 5th then 6th with no speed increase
Old 21 July 2013, 10:32 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Answer me this....

All you chaps are limited to 56mph yes. So why the **** do you try and overtake another lorry doing, yes, 56mph on a two lane A road. I travel on the A14 quite alot and see this all the time. The lorry being overtaken actually has to slow down to let the other one past but this takes an absolute age.
Drives me ******* wild !!!
One time while being stuck behind a bell end taking 3 hours to overtake I called the number on the guys trailer. I asked the bloke on the other end of the phone why he employs retarded bell ends to drive his HGV's and why his drivers overtook other lorries traveling at the same exact speed. He couldn't give me an answer so maybe you can.
Old 21 July 2013, 10:33 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaron1978
I also have a 62 plate Transit but with limiter and she flies..........up to 72mph. Overtaking is a bit scary sometimes as because it is quite quick acceleration wise, you hit 72 in 4th so change into 5th then 6th with no speed increase
Lol... mine does 85 in 4th....... and quite a bit more in 5th and 6th

On private roads ofcourse
Old 21 July 2013, 10:51 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Answer me this....

All you chaps are limited to 56mph yes. So why the **** do you try and overtake another lorry doing, yes, 56mph on a two lane A road. I travel on the A14 quite alot and see this all the time. The lorry being overtaken actually has to slow down to let the other one past but this takes an absolute age.
Drives me ******* wild !!!
One time while being stuck behind a bell end taking 3 hours to overtake I called the number on the guys trailer. I asked the bloke on the other end of the phone why he employs retarded bell ends to drive his HGV's and why his drivers overtook other lorries traveling at the same exact speed. He couldn't give me an answer so maybe you can.
Because no 2 trucks are the same, ie weight and speed, being stuck behind a loaded vehicle that slows down on hills when your empty is a nightmare and loses drivers time, we are very tight on legal driving hours and every minute counts for some folk making it home on a friday or having to stay out another night if im being overtaken by a truck thats taking ages then i back off a touch, sometimes you cant as your pulling 44ton up a hill the minute you back off a slight bit its like hitting a brake, and your down to 10mph on a motorway which is not very safe,
We are out doing a job with very tight driving hours could say the same about car driver that overtake a truck then slow down, start over taking them and they speed up leaving you like an idiot.
and when cars start paying £1200 quid road tax like i have to put on the truck then maybe then will they have a bit more right to moan.
Jay
Old 21 July 2013, 10:54 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Bit of an exaggeration that? did you have to wait behind him while he took his 45 break lol
Old 21 July 2013, 10:55 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Mines limited to 54MPH beacuase we mainly use dual carriageways, single carriageways and back roads where the speed limit is only 50MPh for vans
Poop when I have to use the M11 and M25 though
Old 21 July 2013, 10:57 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

There is a way to disable some systems
Won't work on all but quite a few
BR warned tho if you are comercial & you are stopped by vosa , & they discover .
You will be prosecuted
Like I said it may / may not work for you
PM me OP if you wish to give this a try
No paper or scissors involved
Old 21 July 2013, 11:54 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

None of this advice works for me.

I've a highly non-changeable speed limiter, aka the wife.
Old 22 July 2013, 02:11 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

68 MPH !!!!!!!!!

I suggest you revise your driving style, as with the tracker they will be able to see what speed your doing in each gear.

I used to install vehicle asset management systems, (trackers) and I can tell you they are used to lose dead weight/slackers, if I fit one to your car / van I can tell you when you turn on the radio close any door or press the cig lighter as well as what speed your doing in any given gear and the throttle position.
so consider yourself well and truly warned they know EXACTLY what your doing every moment your in the van.
Old 22 July 2013, 04:06 AM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

My caddy is limited to 115. No tracker either....
Old 22 July 2013, 08:36 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I suggest you revise your driving style, as with the tracker they will be able to see what speed your doing in each gear.

I used to install vehicle asset management systems, (trackers) and I can tell you they are used to lose dead weight/slackers, if I fit one to your car / van I can tell you when you turn on the radio close any door or press the cig lighter as well as what speed your doing in any given gear and the throttle position.
so consider yourself well and truly warned they know EXACTLY what your doing every moment your in the van.

See recent post above ditch, no limiter or tracker in my new ride :-)

The company know my 'driving style' by now, had trackered motors for years with no issues.
Old 22 July 2013, 08:41 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Because no 2 trucks are the same, ie weight and speed, being stuck behind a loaded vehicle that slows down on hills when your empty is a nightmare and loses drivers time, we are very tight on legal driving hours and every minute counts for some folk making it home on a friday or having to stay out another night if im being overtaken by a truck thats taking ages then i back off a touch, sometimes you cant as your pulling 44ton up a hill the minute you back off a slight bit its like hitting a brake, and your down to 10mph on a motorway which is not very safe,
We are out doing a job with very tight driving hours could say the same about car driver that overtake a truck then slow down, start over taking them and they speed up leaving you like an idiot.
and when cars start paying £1200 quid road tax like i have to put on the truck then maybe then will they have a bit more right to moan.
Jay

Lol, admittedly the '3 hour overtake' was slightly exaggerated, however it bloody feels like 3 hours sometimes..lol..
Countless times I've sat behind a lorry in the fast lane while he attempts to pass another lorry doing the same speed as him. Then, after a good 5 mins of trying, he pulls back in behind after realizing its pointless.

With regard to the road tax, I think its more than fair you guys pay alot more. Many cars are £400+ to tax and take up far less room on the road and spend an awful lot less time on the road too.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 22 July 2013 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: OMG, speed limiter !!!!!