Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo nightmare, Impreza advice appreciated ; )

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2011, 09:22 PM
lenny_st8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo nightmare, Impreza advice appreciated ; )

Hi all, thought id sign up here as im looking to buy a subaru in the next week. I currently own a evo iv and its been nothing but trouble, absolutely appauling reliability!

I was looking for some advice on buying a Impreza, ive got 3k tops and im not clued up on the models wrx, sti, ra etc etc. Im hoping someone could point me in the right direction as to which model is the best to go for and how reliable they generally are, if im honest I havent got a great deal of knowledge on them. The last thing i want is to breaking all the time so reliability is extremely important, maybe they arent the best option? If anyone could help me out would really appreciate it.

Many thanks, len
Old 24 March 2011, 09:27 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Version 3 or 4 STi are reliable specially if taken care of. IMO all Impreza's are reliable if tuned sensibly & serviced regular.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 24 March 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:28 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

hi mate, if you want reliability, then you should buy a newage instead of a classic, i would go for a 2001 wrx, if its a prodrive performance pack then thats good, but if not then don't worry about it, remap or so later and it will be fine. great cars to learn about subarus on.

Last edited by Billet; 24 March 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:30 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My advice is to buy from here. Buy from an enthusiast who has really looked after the car.
If it is modified how well thought through have they been. Has the car been mapped ect ect. Loads of modified cars out there that are time bombs.

Classic - is the raw subaru experience.
New age - is the more refined.

Read and search and seach again on here. To get a real feel for what the weak points are and what to look out for.

Steve
Old 24 March 2011, 09:35 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

STI engines are more robust than the wrx or RA. if you go for a classic (93-2000, check the gearbox code on the vin plate. a TY754 is more robust than a TY752.
apart from that, its the same as buying any other car. poor service history and signs of abuse are to be avoided.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:41 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

anything you buy must have full service history and must be well looked after i bought mine with 113k miles on it but was looked after by subaru only and runs like a dream never misses a beat a bug eye wrx for 3k is possible but if you want the best for your money its gotta be a sti classic they have stronger engines as standard but some have been abused so if it just doesnt seem right dont buy it and if your not sure take a few looks at it and come on here and check it out before you part with cash.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:44 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Early STI buddy with your budget. Version 2 or maybe version 3 if you can find a good one within your budget.
Buy from an enthusiast who has serviced regulary etc.
Other than that it's just as with any other car, listen for knocks on start up etc and crunchy boxes. STI boxes are pretty strong though at standard(ish) power to be honest, anything above 350 an they start breaking.
As said above, best to buy one from here if you can, there are plenty to choose from.
In my opinion, don't bother with a UK car, start with a classic STI, you'll never look back.
Old 24 March 2011, 09:46 PM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

Hi Lenny,

Sorry to hear you have had car troubles!

I have owned 1 Impreza Sport, 2 Impreza Turbo 2000 (UK classic) and currently own a WRX STi Type UK.

The only problem I have had out of all of these cars is a sticky idle control valve which made the throttle jam open on the M3 Was interesting.

So my experience is one of nigh-on utter reliability. No breakdowns ever - I made it all the way home with the throttle jammed open by turning the ignition off when I needed to stop at traffic lights etc.. and pulling away whilst redlining. Probably looked like a tool but hey..

On to models,

You have the UK classics which cover several "facelifts" along the way. These go up to 2001 X reg I think.. They are called the Impreza Turbo 2000.

Then you have the first of the newage cars - the WRX and for the first time in a UK model the WRX STi Type UK. These are most easily identified by their headlights, round Porschesq also called the "Bug eye". These were made between 2001 and 2002 Y reg to 52, again, I think...

Next up was the newages first facelift, the "Blob eye" to name but one, again identified easiest by headlight - a tear-drop/peanut looking affair. Again in the WRX and STi guises. 2003 03 to 2006 06 I think!

Next up is the "Hawk eye" - the one with mean looking headlights and a triple grill affair. Again WRX/STi etc. 2006 56 to ... 2008 sometime hehe

On the flip side to these UK cars you have the JDM models. The classics were the WRX and the WRX STi. There were a few variants of these such as the STi Type R, the Type RA and the V-LTDs. All slightly better than the UK cars - more power etc.

The Newage cars is the same story - JDM offerings of souped up models like the Spec C.

For now I will stop, if you need anything else just shout and I am sure others will be along rapidly to a) offer more info and b) correct any errors I may have made Probably lots hehe
Old 24 March 2011, 09:58 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

A good write up there Foz...
Old 24 March 2011, 10:00 PM
alanh p1
Scooby Newbie

hey lenny i had a evo 5 for bout four years it was reliable and i loved it dearly sold it year ago and was goin to stick with the range rovers but got bored and seen a cheap impreza p1 and fell in love with it its the best car ive had better than the evo and i nvr thought that was possible i wish id had a shot of the p1 years ago cos id have ditched the evo quicker i wouldnt advise you to do what i done i took a punt on a car i knew had history but for the money went for it and got lucky
Old 24 March 2011, 10:26 PM
SPORTWAGONROY
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hi there lenny

i bought a version 2 sti its been great no problems

nice low miles

and my cousin bought a high mile uk2000 with full history sweet as

there great cars enjoy which ever you decide to buy good luck
Old 24 March 2011, 10:32 PM
lenny_st8
Scooby Newbie

Blood hell what an awsome response, just what i needed i think ive been convinced! Thanks to everyone, really really appreciate it. Il keep you posted when i find something, havent got alot of time though to be honest could really do with something by Sunday, better get cracking.
Old 24 March 2011, 10:44 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Len, there are a lot of imprezas out there which are not what they are described as....If you see something you like then maybe best posting up here asking opinions..
Old 24 March 2011, 10:45 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

gonna post some adds up for ya

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2254158.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2582560.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2608892.htm

hope these help
Old 24 March 2011, 11:42 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Just had a look through piston heads myself and there are loads to choose from. Just click on 'Impreza STI' and filter the price to £2500/3500.

Please please avoid crap like this though
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2587406.htm
Old 24 March 2011, 11:55 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

"Come in from the dark side boy!" The Scooby's seem to be very reliable what with picking up the title of second most reliable car manufacturer used in the UK over the last ten years by whatcar.com.

Remember though, they are bulletproof, not idiot proof. Even omething small could blow a motor no problem.
Old 25 March 2011, 12:51 AM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Hi there matey, Firstly welcome along!!

There are plenty of cars out there to choose from, my advise would be look, look & look again. there a alot of cars claiming to be sti's. Which there not.

some make me laugh and some get me annoyed!! cos some poor sod will buy it as an sti!
here's a link to all the chassis codes.
http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/wrx.html

Use it to work out what exactly what model it is. Also note that ive come across cars advertised as wrx and under further inspection they turned out to be sti's. Reason being is alot are imported/registered as just subaru or subaru wrx on log books for insurance.
Here's a little example, its a very nice car IMO.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2610538.htm

Good Luck whatever you choose
Old 25 March 2011, 09:53 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lenny_st8
Blood hell what an awsome response, just what i needed i think ive been convinced! Thanks to everyone, really really appreciate it. Il keep you posted when i find something, havent got alot of time though to be honest could really do with something by Sunday, better get cracking.
Hi Lenny,
How long have you had the Evo...I had an Evo IV that had loads of problems. Had to chop it in in the end to get any value out of it.
Cheers,
Old 25 March 2011, 10:15 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Welcome..

As pointed out, they can be extremely reliable if well maintained properly.

However, my opinion is against the majority of that above about going for an STI etc. STI's fetch a premium and at 3k, you will be sacrificing condition and how well it has been kept to get the model. I would suggest finding the best kept, low mileage UK Turbo 2000. If you can get one with PPP or well executed modifications then that would be a bonus. I had one of these (albeit back in 2004/5) and was fantastically reliable.

Don't get me wrong, the STI's are a better car and worth the extra money if you can afford a good example. But when buying at 3k, you're entering a potential world of expense with potential problems.

Wagons are available at a discount over a saloon so you should be able to find an even better one for your money.

I do agree with Steve Whitehorn about buying from an enthusiast. There have been some absolute bargain, well maintained UK examples sold on here at bargain prices. With a 3k budget you will need to be wary...

good luck!
Old 25 March 2011, 10:59 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2589738.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2559328.htm

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2600017.htm

That's just a few. Good early STI Imprezas can be had with your budget. It's a buyers Market for these cars at the minute so bargains are a plenty.
My personal opinion, go with a jap car and not a UK one.
Old 25 March 2011, 11:45 AM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

do it mate, you wont look back (ive had both)