Sponsored by:

How good are our cars ?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2011, 03:43 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good are our cars ?

Ok so i got my o7 WRX and its a hoot but how good are they in the snow?

I dont mean the few flakes the south of the uk gets i mean the proper snow in the north and north east of the uk. Can you still use the car to get to work without ending up in ditch?

Im not talking winter tyres just your bog std scoob, whats other users experince using them safley in the snow.
I realise you can drive almost anycar safely in the snow but coming from a skyline we know thats Bull lol
Old 23 March 2011, 04:07 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Imprezas are like a sledge in the snow.
Old 23 March 2011, 04:13 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i was stuck in Chesterfiled this year with snow up to middle of my door, or nearly upto boot and i managed to get home, was only 1 in carpark that did.

Saying that, it would have been much better with snow tyres.

Its not a Land Rover if thats what your after, But its better than a BMW and MERC, youll get more places than a 2wheel drive anyway
Old 23 March 2011, 04:21 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Thanks no not looking for land rover i guess what im asking is can i give the keys to the wife in bad weather and be happy in the mindset that it 4wd and safe or should i make her take the good old honda accord lol

p.s yes a know it 22c and winter has only just gone lol
Old 23 March 2011, 04:22 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well my missus got home in the sti with no issues in the SE when all others were stopping.

I have also had to park a crappy 1.x piece of **** at the bottom of the hill up to our house and walk the rest because it would not go any further. Scoob made it up with out an issue.

So I say pretty good but would not even rate it on the roads in sweden without proper tyres
Old 23 March 2011, 05:36 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem with the Impreza is that people think they're invincible because they see the cars being flung about in the snow on TV.

Basically getting going is no problem.
Gettting stopped or round bends with big fat low profile tyres is a whole different ballgame
Old 23 March 2011, 05:52 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

i got rid of my wrx just before winter for an m3 lol biggest mistake i have ever made . last year in snow it took me 20 mins to get home in the wrx. this year in 20 mins in the m3 i was just about getting off the car park

Trending Topics

Old 23 March 2011, 05:58 PM
macmac
Scooby Regular

winter gone , my area got the worst ice and snow in a long time and i simply smiled while gettin up slants and slopes the beemers and mercs were sat at the bottom , wheels spinning , .

awd > anything else
Old 23 March 2011, 06:21 PM
beastgtir
Scooby Regular

They do cope well in the snow,
Old 23 March 2011, 06:47 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great for moving. Same as any car for stopping and turning in the snow. E.g. only as good as the tyres!
Old 23 March 2011, 06:59 PM
ScoobyYau
Scooby Regular

Default Floaty feeling driving on slushy ice or snow.

hi guys, i have a 2006 impreza sti hawkeye model. i was wondering if any of you hawkeye drivers experienced like a floaty feeling whilst driving on slushy snow ? I see like audi and bmw's like hammering past me down a dual carriage way, but when i stick my foot down feels like the car is floating and about to spin out im not talking about whilst accelerating now its like when im cruising along at just 60mph!!! I experienced this just this winter that was one as i have only owned the vehicle for 3 months. Im currently running Bridgestone 050 tyres not the semi slick ones orginally from factory. Any you guys be able to point out the problem ? Appriciate very much.
Old 23 March 2011, 06:59 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

I'll sling my two pence worth in, as Snow driving is very important to me as i live in the Highlands and have to travel a good distance to work all year round on small b roads.
They are good and better than 2wd in snow. But its all about the tyres in snow. This is by far the most important factor. I have ran the same roads in bad snow for the past 4 years. I only got proper snow tyres for this winter..Doh!(Nokian wr). It was a huge difference. Way better at slower speads and cornering was improved massively. My missus then put Snow tyres on her Micra and same result, a huge improvement making it useable up here. When it was useless most winters.

If you really need to get hardcore you want some more clearance and low range gearing, a Forester,Land Rover,Mitsi suv etc is way better in snow and safer. But for a nomall car that copes very well in Snow the Impreza is tip top.
Sorry for length of this btw!
Old 23 March 2011, 07:17 PM
beastgtir
Scooby Regular

bridgestone tyres are only decent in dry weather,
try a different brand.

and try having the diff on lock
Old 23 March 2011, 07:43 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Went from a wrx wagon to a 335d,but made sure i bought some winter wheels (none staggered 18" MV3's) and vredestein wintrac extremes.
Have never experienced the scoob with winter tyres,but on 18's,with falken 452's,stopping was always a big issue.
The Beemer however,was a revelation.never went wrong and i tried,on various terrain and gradients.
I think that the tyres were a brilliant investment.I can only imagine that a scoob with winters on would be in a different league.
Old 23 March 2011, 07:56 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Awesome in the snow, past 2 winters have had so much fun, FWD is fun, RWD your going nowhere but AWD when the back steps out just step on the gas and it snaps back in line, also been using P zero Nero's excellent tyres in dry/rain, but snow & ice as well
Old 23 March 2011, 08:49 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyYau
hi guys, i have a 2006 impreza sti hawkeye model. i was wondering if any of you hawkeye drivers experienced like a floaty feeling whilst driving on slushy snow ? I see like audi and bmw's like hammering past me down a dual carriage way, but when i stick my foot down feels like the car is floating and about to spin out im not talking about whilst accelerating now its like when im cruising along at just 60mph!!! I experienced this just this winter that was one as i have only owned the vehicle for 3 months. Im currently running Bridgestone 050 tyres not the semi slick ones orginally from factory. Any you guys be able to point out the problem ? Appriciate very much.
Almost sounds like you need to go out and play somewhere safe... gain some confidence in the car and how it behaves in varying grip conditions.

I overtook a Mitsi 4x4 in the snow last winter at 60 mph... it was doing 35. So she flashed her lights at me in disgust.

dunx

P.S. Mine was delivered new on 050's horrid noisy "concrete" things...
Old 23 March 2011, 08:52 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

didnt get stuck once in the snow this year
Old 23 March 2011, 09:12 PM
BlobEyedRex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyYau
but when i stick my foot down feels like the car is floating and about to spin out im not talking about whilst accelerating now its like when im cruising along at just 60mph!!!

Need to check your tyre pressures as well, you'll want them nice and high but looking at the 050 tread pattern it looks summer only but as recommended earlier Nokian you can't get better but any soft tyre compound with good block and sipping and +6/+8 psi pressure will perform well.
Old 23 March 2011, 09:16 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I got around when no one else did, but 9inch wheels with big low profile tyres made it interesting at times
Old 23 March 2011, 09:16 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

The slush clogs up the tread and you are basically aquaplaning.

60mph in slush with summer tires = asking to write off your car.
Get proper tires.
Old 23 March 2011, 09:31 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

I never got stuck in the SE, solid snow fall here......4WD is only any good when your accelerating, when your off the throttle an Impreza is the same (if your running low profile tyres...i use RE070 for example, and they suck in snow) as any other car...accelerating = 4WD, off the throttle = 0WD; just like every other car......you will notice the dfference on inclines hugely, when all other CARS are struggling, you wont be.....
Old 23 March 2011, 09:31 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

I almost ended up in a ditch twice during the winter cos my classic wagon is running 18's with low profile tyres. I only got the car just before the snow arrived so wasn't prepared. I have now acquired a set of 17's for cheap cheap and will have them refurbed with new winter tyres during the summer (winter tyres will be cheaper then )

Moral of my story is to prepare before the bad weather comes.
Old 23 March 2011, 09:37 PM
bigbruiseral
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for the input guys think ill smoke the tyres on the car this summer, refit good winter tyres and buy some nice 18" alloy wrapped in summer rubber for the summer again