2 Grand to spend!!!

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2011, 01:55 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Grand to spend!!!

Hi Fellas,
Ive had my '97 classic wagon for a couple of years now and have come to the point where, after buying a house and all that goes with it, i've got a few quid to spend on my beloved Scoob.

My motor is totally standard apart from HKS ssqv, Do-luck panel filter and a cheap Scorpion back box I managed to get off someone.

I've decided I'm gonna spend about 2K, so just wanted some of your thoughts on what to spend it on. I'll be getting a garage to do the work as it would take me forever to do the work myself.
Concentrating on engine and drivetrain any ideas/advice would be apprieciated as my head starts to spin when I start reading threads about turbos, front, side, back entry, 2, 3 port solenoids etc etc

At the end of the day I just want more power but to be strong and reliable as well.

Thanks guys
Old 22 March 2011, 02:03 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Go with good second hand parts, much cheaper.

Are you sure you want more power, you could concentrate on handling and stopping power. It's all very well having a faster car but personally, the way it goes round corners provides a much more enjoyable drive.
Old 22 March 2011, 02:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there depends how much you want form your car,if you want reliable 320-350bhp car you will need turbo(VF34,VF35 or TD05 16G),Decated exhaust will be perfect,3 port solenoid,possibly FMIC(or STI 7 or 8 TMIC),and from this depend if its your car have mappable ECU,if not you will need at least ESL Daughter board,Apexi power FC or Simtek,Syvecs..

Jura
Old 22 March 2011, 02:32 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

350 ?????

On a Standard 97 wagon clutch and box = problems..

Personally,

Nice de-cat exhaust
Decent panel filter
Second hand Bigger front brakes
Second hand suspension set-up
Standard size rear grooved/drilled discs with better pads
Notch the boost up a touch
Walbro pump (not nessasarily needed but safer)
Have it mapped

This should be achievable on 2K if you search hard enough. Would be a much better car to drive with 310 ish BHP and far better handling.

If you start going new turbo route you'll be looking at clutch etc.
Old 22 March 2011, 02:51 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Isn't 97 the unmappable ECU year? If so, it'll be close to a grand for an aftermarket ECU.

2 grand is a lot to throw at a car, especially as you'd never get it back.
Have a look at how cheap scoob's are now, and possibly look into a selling yours and with the extra 2k you can get a lot of scoobs with that power already.
Old 22 March 2011, 02:54 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

I was gonna get some second hand 4 pots and 2's for the back. I did have fully adjustable shocks on but the rear top mounts corroded to buggery and failed the MOT so I put standards on with 35mm springs. I've still got the coliovers but don't know if i can get new topmounts.

MattyB- What do you mean by up the boost? Is this done with boost controller, bleed valve or done on the re-map? Also is my Do-luck filter not that good then?

Lots of Q's to think about there LOL.
Old 22 March 2011, 02:57 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
Isn't 97 the unmappable ECU year? If so, it'll be close to a grand for an aftermarket ECU.

2 grand is a lot to throw at a car, especially as you'd never get it back.
Have a look at how cheap scoob's are now, and possibly look into a selling yours and with the extra 2k you can get a lot of scoobs with that power already.
Acctually you've got a point there bud. But the way things are now, don't think i'd be able to sell it. No-one's buying at the mo.
Old 22 March 2011, 03:00 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

You will need at least mappable ECU,Apexi Power FC are good,great budget mappable ECU for good money too,you will find this ecu for £400-£450.

Jura
Old 22 March 2011, 03:08 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

How many miles has your wagon/engine/drive train got on it???

Before looking to upgrade remember the extra stain you could be putting on you engine and drive train by going for more power.

Perhaps look towards selling it and putting the 2k plus the sale money into a newer car?

Or
How about upgrading the brakes and suspension, getting the geometry properly set up. upgrading these will give you a faster better handling and stopping car - quicker in the real world.

Its not al about power - do not forget control!

Last edited by The Zohan; 22 March 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 22 March 2011, 03:16 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djsparra
I was gonna get some second hand 4 pots and 2's for the back. I did have fully adjustable shocks on but the rear top mounts corroded to buggery and failed the MOT so I put standards on with 35mm springs. I've still got the coliovers but don't know if i can get new topmounts.

MattyB- What do you mean by up the boost? Is this done with boost controller, bleed valve or done on the re-map? Also is my Do-luck filter not that good then?

Lots of Q's to think about there LOL.

up the boost by either a Apexi AVCR (£200) or one of those cheap and cheerful manual boost controls.
If your car does have the unmappable ECU then power fc is your best option. But as stated above, what condition is the car in and what sort of miles has the old girl covered.
Old 22 March 2011, 03:41 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

i would sell your wagon and then put the money saved or a little more if you can hold on and buy a classic sti with some work already done, say from a member on here. save the cash as you wont see a return.

for example there is a sti 6 88k on the clock needs a little tlc but is up at 3.6k. just an idea
Old 22 March 2011, 03:41 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

She had 91k km when imported and converted to miles now clock shows 103k miles/km.

If I was to sell i'd want another wagon but like you say an STI.

What about putting a STI lump in mine?

Last edited by djsparra; 22 March 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 22 March 2011, 03:44 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Hi Fellas,
Ive had my '97 classic wagon

At the end of the day I just want more power but to be strong and reliable as well.

Thanks guys
two things that it wont be imo on a 15 year old uk car. it has given you no trouble as its relatively standard, on low boost etc. the minute you start pushing it up to 350bhp imo the gearbox and engine have a high possibility on giving up. hence my point above sell up and get a newer sti even if it means holding out for a little longer
Old 22 March 2011, 03:48 PM
djsparra
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
two things that it wont be imo on a 15 year old uk car. it has given you no trouble as its relatively standard, on low boost etc. the minute you start pushing it up to 350bhp imo the gearbox and engine have a high possibility on giving up. hence my point above sell up and get a newer sti even if it means holding out for a little longer
Sorry forgot to mention, mines a WRX
Old 22 March 2011, 04:28 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

What about putting a STI lump in mine?
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me and you'll need the turbo and ECU to go with it.

I would trade up for an Sti wagon, as by the time you've done the above, you'll have spent the best part of £1500-2000 anyway.

At least by getting the STI, the car will be worth what you pay out. Change the engine on your WRX and it'll be worth nothing more, and may actually be woth less!
Old 22 March 2011, 05:53 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
i would sell your wagon and then put the money saved or a little more if you can hold on and buy a classic sti with some work already done, say from a member on here. save the cash as you wont see a return.

for example there is a sti 6 88k on the clock needs a little tlc but is up at 3.6k. just an idea
What he said
Old 22 March 2011, 07:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hi Fellas,
Ive had my '97 classic wagon for a couple of years now and have come to the point where, after buying a house and all that goes with it, i've got a few quid to spend on my beloved Scoob.

My motor is totally standard apart from HKS ssqv, Do-luck panel filter and a cheap Scorpion back box I managed to get off someone.

I've decided I'm gonna spend about 2K, so just wanted some of your thoughts on what to spend it on. I'll be getting a garage to do the work as it would take me forever to do the work myself.
Concentrating on engine and drivetrain any ideas/advice would be apprieciated as my head starts to spin when I start reading threads about turbos, front, side, back entry, 2, 3 port solenoids etc etc

Thanks guys
Sell the car for £2k and buy an already modified one for the £4k you will have to spend.
Old 22 March 2011, 08:26 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Keep the money in the bank

It's 15 years old and worth less then 2k

Modify the engine and it will go pop then the car will be worth £500 tops for parts
And the dreaded rust will catch a hold in the next few years

If you must spend a bit of cash

Dot5 and braided fuel lines ,updated pads and eibach springs ,drop links and geometry done will be under £600 which will totally transform the car and still £1600 in the bank

Keep you car and as it is reasonably standard and it will increase a bit in value in the next few years and it should last a bit longer
Old 22 March 2011, 09:52 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bloody ek depressing guys
I've gone to slit my wrists
Old 22 March 2011, 10:53 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

As far as ECU's go, there are 2nd hand Simtecs about for about £600-£700 plus a bit for mapping means a top ECU for 1k. Use the other 1k for other mods such as brakes and exhaust and fuel pump