Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What power level to expect at what boost?

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2011, 01:18 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What power level to expect at what boost?

Hi all, new to scoobynet and subarus! but very familiar with turbos and turbocharging, including mapping. Just bought myself a 51 plate bugeye wrx, it has a receipt for An Andy forrest remap for £500 a couple of years ago, but at the moment it is running sub standard boost, only 9psi, i was going to screw the boost upto around 15 psi (i believe 13.5 psi is standard) what power level should this achieve? the car has a full stainless system and aftermarket manifolds (not looked for the receipt for those yet!) i have a wideband lambda to check the AFR after adjusting boost, so no worries there. What is deemed a safe and reliable boost for these engines? as ive heard of the odd failure, or is this more to do with bad maintainance? thanks in advance chaffe
Old 21 March 2011, 01:19 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If its still running the standard td04, 270-280bhp and thats your lot
Old 21 March 2011, 01:20 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
If its still running the standard td04, 270-280bhp and thats your lot
it sure is, id be happy with that, but what boost would achieve that? or should i say what power would i get at a bar/15 psi? thanks
Old 21 March 2011, 01:28 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How to say from 1.25-1.3 bar you will able to achieve this bhp(270-280bhp)

Jura
Old 21 March 2011, 01:46 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
How to say from 1.25-1.3 bar you will able to achieve this bhp(270-280bhp)

Jura
thanks, thats around 19 psi boost maybe keep it at 15 for reliability, or is this not a problem?
Old 21 March 2011, 01:50 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

As long as its not running lean, will be fine as the td04 is a pretty strong turbo
Old 21 March 2011, 01:53 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chaffe
thanks, thats around 19 psi boost maybe keep it at 15 for reliability, or is this not a problem?

I've run 1.25-1.3bar on mine TD04('01 Bugeye WRX) without problem,best bet if you are have at your area Rolling Road where you can check your power(bhp),torque and boost/afr etc.
And really if you want more,really just contact Andy for this and i sure will help you and sort problem

Jura
Old 21 March 2011, 02:02 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

I've run 1.25-1.3bar on mine TD04('01 Bugeye WRX) without problem,best bet if you are have at your area Rolling Road where you can check your power(bhp),torque and boost/afr etc.
And really if you want more,really just contact Andy for this and i sure will help you and sort problem

Jura
thanks for the advice, usually like to do all my tuning personnally, i can check AFR on the road with my wideband and listen for pinking. Just looked at his website, most of his remaps include in car switchable boost, i wonder if there is a switch im missing somwhere? maybe the one on top of the steering wheel that looks like intercooler water spray?
Old 21 March 2011, 02:06 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice, usually like to do all my tuning personnally, i can check AFR on the road with my wideband and listen for pinking. Just looked at his website, most of his remaps include in car switchable boost, i wonder if there is a switch im missing somwhere? maybe the one on top of the steering wheel that looks like intercooler water spray?
You have fitted 3 port boost solenoid?
You have fitted Boost gauge?
But i will recommend find Rolling road for check,just £40-£60 for power run and you will know what power you are running.

Jura
Old 21 March 2011, 02:25 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Switch on top of the Steering wheel caseing is the side lights, as for a second map, if this has been done its usually full throttle whilst pressing the rear screen de-mist button under the stereo, and same again to select the other map.

Personally I would speak to Andy as he will have a record of the car, and ask him for some info. Generally when a car is mapped they will log a file against the registration number and keep it on record how the car formed, also you may find that he has kept on record any mods that have been made on the car too, such as Walbro, 3 Port etc.... its a big ask but you never know.

I wouldnt personally wind up the boost without a map.

Rob
Old 21 March 2011, 02:40 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Switch on top of the Steering wheel caseing is the side lights, as for a second map, if this has been done its usually full throttle whilst pressing the rear screen de-mist button under the stereo, and same again to select the other map.

Personally I would speak to Andy as he will have a record of the car, and ask him for some info. Generally when a car is mapped they will log a file against the registration number and keep it on record how the car formed, also you may find that he has kept on record any mods that have been made on the car too, such as Walbro, 3 Port etc.... its a big ask but you never know.

I wouldnt personally wind up the boost without a map.

Rob
thanks for the info, ill give him a bell, you never know! Ill try the map switching trick, the car has a boost gauge, and its got a three port boost control valve, as for winding up the boost, i have built and mapped several turbo cars so i do have a fair idea what is safe and what is not.
Old 21 March 2011, 02:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Just don't fit boost controller manual or electronic.Your ECU can control boost up to 1.55bar(1.7bar) without adding boost controller.
Yes you can tune other turbo cars,but Subaru is little bit specific.

Jura
Old 21 March 2011, 02:58 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Just don't fit boost controller manual or electronic.Your ECU can control boost up to 1.55bar(1.7bar) without adding boost controller.
Yes you can tune other turbo cars,but Subaru is little bit specific.

Jura
I see, where is the software available to tune the ecu? I am pretty confident on tuning if only I had teh software, as ive tunned many programmable ecu's, what makes subarus more specific than others? ive tuned a turbo r1, several zetec turbos, cvh and zvh turbos, v6 cosworth turbo, vr6 turbo and vr6 24v turbo before, most with megasquirt but one with KMS, all good systems IMO. So if i had an interface with the subaru ecu that would be great! either that or i could megasquirt it?
Old 21 March 2011, 03:02 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

http://www.romraider.com/
Old 21 March 2011, 03:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I see, where is the software available to tune the ecu? I am pretty confident on tuning if only I had teh software, as ive tunned many programmable ecu's, what makes subarus more specific than others? ive tuned a turbo r1, several zetec turbos, cvh and zvh turbos, v6 cosworth turbo, vr6 turbo and vr6 24v turbo before, most with megasquirt but one with KMS, all good systems IMO. So if i had an interface with the subaru ecu that would be great! either that or i could megasquirt it?
Hi there your ECU is tuned via EcuTek and you cannot mapped yorself.Yes you can,but via Open source software like is Ecuflash,EcuEdit,RomRaider these software are free and you can download for free,you will need Tactrix Cable which cost around £90
Here is good site about the ECU and other stuff http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ECU
And here few guides how to use and how to do

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...FlashUserGuide

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ourECUROMImage

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...UsingRomRaider

And i will recommend have look on OpenECU and RomRaider forum for more infos and useful tips.

Hope this will help

Jura
Old 21 March 2011, 03:08 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
mental, i will have a good read up on that! you used it?
Old 21 March 2011, 03:09 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Hi there your ECU is tuned via EcuTek and you cannot mapped yorself.Yes you can,but via Open source software like is Ecuflash,EcuEdit,RomRaider these software are free and you can download for free,you will need Tactrix Cable which cost around £90
Here is good site about the ECU and other stuff http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.php/Knowledge/ECU
And here few guides how to use and how to do

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...FlashUserGuide

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...ourECUROMImage

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...UsingRomRaider

And i will recommend have look on OpenECU and RomRaider forum for more infos and useful tips.

Hope this will help

Jura
very much soo, thanks for your help both of you.
Old 21 March 2011, 03:10 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Nope, Im running a syvecs ecu and at my power level best leaving mapping to the pros good luck with your project keep us updated as modding is a slippery slope

Last edited by banny sti; 21 March 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 21 March 2011, 03:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

You can turn your ECU to Speed Density and Mafless with Group N ROM,and you will have Anti Lag,Mafless etc.

Jura
Old 21 March 2011, 03:14 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has a dual level ecutek remap on it and nothing has changed on the car then go full throttle and turn on the heated rear screen at the same time and it should toggle to the high boost if that is all the issue is.

Simon
Old 21 March 2011, 03:20 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
If it has a dual level ecutek remap on it and nothing has changed on the car then go full throttle and turn on the heated rear screen at the same time and it should toggle to the high boost if that is all the issue is.

Simon
i will try this mate, thanks again for the help, if this is all i need to do then we are sorted as the car is good an fuel and drives well, just a bit short of boost. Seems strange to have it set soo low, so you are probably right with the remap and switchable boost.
Old 21 March 2011, 04:11 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Usual for when battery off to have it default to low boost setting
Old 21 March 2011, 04:50 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

Right, just in from work, cant test drive car as the front bumper is off for painting just now, but looking through receipts its has the following (all still on car to best of my knowledge)
Black diamond discs and pads
KYB struts all round
Powerflex rear arb links
Full decat maxnex system
forge motorsport dumpvalve
Invoauto airfilter
Stainless headers and up pipe
Ecutec tek3 remap (as suggested)
Just need to get it back together for a road test now!
Old 21 March 2011, 05:59 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

And a walbro pump
Well couldnt resist taking the car for a burn, with no front bumper, i thought you boys were taking the mic out of the newbie, but was pleasantly supprised to find it works! pulls very well, peaks 18psi, holds a good 17psi. Of course ill not tell my mate how to put it on high boost when he takes it for paint lol, thanks again.
Old 21 March 2011, 06:06 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Awesome

Same will then drop it back to low boost
Old 21 March 2011, 07:28 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

And a walbro pump
Well couldnt resist taking the car for a burn, with no front bumper, i thought you boys were taking the mic out of the newbie, but was pleasantly supprised to find it works! pulls very well, peaks 18psi, holds a good 17psi. Of course ill not tell my mate how to put it on high boost when he takes it for paint lol, thanks again.
Excellent

Welcome to scoobyloony.net by the way

We might be too forward and a little backwards , but most folk on here know there stuff....

If you have any further queries, get them posted

Rob
Old 21 March 2011, 08:21 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

cheers again lads