Sponsored by:

Police too busy!

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2002, 11:10 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

You might recall last month that some edjit drove into the side of my scoob then drove away without stopping.

Followed it up with the insurance and reported the incident at my local police station.

Got the car into a coachworks and it was all fixed (got the tracking done too) but had to stump up the £350 excess on my policy

Last week I get a letter from the police and I quote:

"Due to our very limited resources and the need to prioritise workload, it is the policy of the Criminal Justice Unit to only investigate cases where personal injury has been sustained. For this reason we will not be taking any further action with regard to your accident."

So... the next time I am driving without insurance, driving without tax, drunk, on drugs, no MoT (or a combination of the above) and I hit another car, as long as no-one was hurt, I can just drive off and that will be the end of the matter ????

Oh and if I send the police a cheque for £5 they can give me the details of the other driver ... ever felt like taking the law into your own hands, well the police are positively encouraging you here !!

Anyway rant off because the good news is my insurance company (Bell Direct)has come up trumps. They tracked down the other driver and they have admitted full liability so my no-claims will be unaffected and I will get my excess back.

Mike

Edited to say been on here for a year and a half and just reached my 100th post - message to self ... stop lurking and write more !!!!

[Edited by mikefyfe - 4/16/2002 11:13:34 PM]
Old 16 April 2002, 11:17 PM
ktm1974
Scooby Regular

Angry

this is because the police are too busy counting the speeding fine money.
Old 16 April 2002, 11:19 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Good to hear you're sorted Mate. So much for "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" though...... Let's remember that when taxes go up in tomorrow's budget.
Old 17 April 2002, 12:18 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear it's sorted m8, or at least on the way.

Steve
Old 17 April 2002, 08:26 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Makes me mad... [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Write a letter to your MP, one to the Chief Constable of your constabulary and one to the PM.

You might get a result for yourself - I doubt it will help much for everyone else.

Who's worse here? The perpetrators, or those that turn a blind eye but are sworn to protect us??!
Old 17 April 2002, 09:32 AM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

Angry

What annoys me most is that I had to gather witness reports, I had to wait for an hour and a half in the police station before filling out their forms and I had to chase the insurance, I lost the use of my car and I now have a car that is not virgin.

Whilst the scumbag who caused the damage gets off scott free to try and do it again! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Just to add, the letter was from the Traffic Support Unit in the Met ... so if Traffic Unit does not have the resources to deal with a traffic accident, what exactly are they doing (filling revenue geneators ... errrm, ... speed cameras with film????)

Ah well, I got the tracking done to Prodrive spec and she is now handling like she's on rails now !

Mike

M
Old 17 April 2002, 09:46 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

is the moral here that when you have a bump and you want the police to do something about it you need to make sure your back hurts a bit!

Tiggs
Old 17 April 2002, 11:46 AM
r@t
Scooby Newbie

Smile

How about with excess money, spend £5 on getting the persons details. £20 on a banger from an auction (paid in cash with fake name), £10 pounds on fuel and park it in the side on the bast*rds car that drove off.

Cost £35.00 saving £315.00

Feel good factor - priceless!!!

See how they like it!
Old 17 April 2002, 11:51 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how about a group buy on the guys details..??

Glad to hear you got it sorted... someone did the same to my sisters car... in the end I told her to leave it and I have nearly finished painting it...

David
Old 17 April 2002, 11:57 AM
r@t
Scooby Newbie

I find it amazing the amount this happens. Someone bid the same thing to a sports car I had last year. Luckily I watched them do it from inside a building. The guy was just about to drive off when I managed to stop him. In the end he paid for it, but the thing is it all goes to HPI and can de-value your motor.
Old 17 April 2002, 12:06 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry but this really bugs me, that is a hit and run, simple, but they do nothing at all ? But you can have the details for £5 ? F-ing madness.
WTF do we pay tax for ? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Andyp
Old 17 April 2002, 01:09 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Angry

I wonder what bbs readers from other countries make of topics like this.
It really winds me up and i agree Mike, it does make you feel like taking matters into your own hands, something the police will have to deal with more often me thinks.
Old 17 April 2002, 04:28 PM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

If you get his details, you can sue him in the small claims court for your excess. Also, you should notify your insurance company- they may also wish to sue him for their outlay.