Sponsored by:

Time to say bye to the scooby

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2011, 01:03 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to say bye to the scooby

Well I think it's time to say bye to the scooby.
I've had the Type RA for 5 years now and grinned everytime I took her out.
I was and maybe still interested in getting another, but I'm torn between scooby and RX8.

The scooby's treated me well and only cost me a gearbox rebuild in the 5 years of ownership, so I can't really grumble. It's never let me down.

I just feel like a change and want something newer. Only ever liked the look of the classics, and after countless hours looking at different cars, feel an RX8 may be for me.

I know they drink oil like fuel and in tax band M i'm going to be paying £400 + per year. Fuel usage will probably be no better than the scoob either.

I've had loadsa help from many of you on here. There really is some good guys (& gals) on Snet, you just have to look hard to find em, lol.

I'll still hover around the forums as I'm sure I will again revert back to Subaru, one day in the not to distant future.

Last edited by Jap Import; 12 March 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: poor spelling, lol
Old 12 March 2011, 01:06 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

a work college had an rx8 and he simply couldnt afford the fuel bill from it, couple that with the £400 a year tax like you say. they are very thursty cars
Old 12 March 2011, 01:09 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

They lack torque. It will be a completely different drive (not as good) to the Type RA. Have you driven one?
Old 12 March 2011, 01:17 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Only test driven a couple up the road, no distance. and they were both dogs.
I just want to try something different. They're a little quirky!
Old 12 March 2011, 01:19 PM
fred388
Scooby Regular

i had an rx8 before my scoob, to be honest they dont use as much fuel and oil as most people make out they do, they do use a fair bit if your driving about town or something, not any more that a wrx, also mine was a 54reg so i avoided the high tax band for them,also i believe the newer ones have a bigger sump/oil capacity so u dont have to top up as often,
as for performance they will never beat the scoob, as stated above no torque, also if u get an engine failure its a whole u will engine need replaced ,as u cant replace parts or something (as they are quite popular for going bang)
they are really nice to drive and really comfortable esp the new model,with the recaro seats,
imho they are quite a risky buy after owning one and speaking to people who owned them

Last edited by fred388; 12 March 2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: cant spell lol
Old 12 March 2011, 01:28 PM
JustCallMeMac
Scooby Regular

Had an RX8 230 PZ (Prodrive handling pack) a few years back.

Being RWD, fantastic car in the dry, scary in the wet and deadly in anything icy, at least on the stock Bridegstone RE040 rubber. (Changing to RE050A helped but was still tricky)

Very thirsty, no torque and has to be revved hard and high to get the best out of it. Also, extremely difficult to mod.

Comfortable and decent quality cabin but impractical if you ever take passengers. The rear doors are clever but quickly lose their quirky appeal and rear legroom is very limited.

Changed to an R32 for similar performance, 4WD and increased practicality, if not for the economy! Have a Hawkeye STI for the weekend and track and the difference is night and day. Impreza wins hands down.

The RX8 is a good car but imho, for summer blasts and a bit of touring fun, not every day use.

A test drive, especially in the dry, will probably sell you but you need to look beyond that.

Good luck!
Old 12 March 2011, 01:32 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll be back
Old 12 March 2011, 01:35 PM
Jap Import
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mac.
Bonesetter, I'm sure I will. Just wish Subaru hadn't strayed so far from the design of the classic.
Old 12 March 2011, 02:14 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After all manner of Scooby ownerships over the past 10 years I too decided to go different. So, after looking at all the hot hatches, and possible Scooby alternatives I decided to go Integra Type R. This was 2 months ago, and the little 'teg is back up for sale

You see I too love the classic Impreza. I love its agile light(ish) weight feel, the sense of occasion, and theatre. I owned a 370BHP blob JDM for a year. It was truly astonishing performance, but it's quite a bit heavier, and all in all I still prefer, and indeed have kept for the past 4 years my classic STi wagon. It still puts a smile on my face, I use it daily, it does everything I want it to.

The Integra does what it's supposed to brilliantly well, but you have to work at it, and the effort is rewarded very nicely. But I just prefer the lazy turbo I guess

So my message, keep hold of what you've got 'till you're sure

HTH's
Old 12 March 2011, 02:37 PM
Hilla
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JustCallMeMac
Had an RX8 230 PZ (Prodrive handling pack) a few years back.

Being RWD, fantastic car in the dry, scary in the wet and deadly in anything icy, at least on the stock Bridegstone RE040 rubber. (Changing to RE050A helped but was still tricky)

Very thirsty, no torque and has to be revved hard and high to get the best out of it. Also, extremely difficult to mod.

Comfortable and decent quality cabin but impractical if you ever take passengers. The rear doors are clever but quickly lose their quirky appeal and rear legroom is very limited.

Changed to an R32 for similar performance, 4WD and increased practicality, if not for the economy! Have a Hawkeye STI for the weekend and track and the difference is night and day. Impreza wins hands down.

The RX8 is a good car but imho, for summer blasts and a bit of touring fun, not every day use.

A test drive, especially in the dry, will probably sell you but you need to look beyond that.

Good luck!
Excellent comments. Having owned a 230 PZ for 2 1/2 years I couldn't put it better. I still think about the car, but everytime I do, I can't help but wonder what would of happened if Mazda would of made a turbo model. The lack of torque means a decent diesel will leave it in the low to mid range and upwards.

The handling is superb in the dry, but anything damp/wet it becomes unpredictable.

The fuel economy is terrible - I think that's the main reason Mazda didn't fit an MPG gauge!
Old 12 March 2011, 02:57 PM
G.Mac
Scooby Regular

I used to own a 230 and it was a love hate relationship with it, If I remember correctly I used 8.5L of oul in just over 6000 miles, my gearbox also broke withing the 6000 miles too (had mine from new) seat creaked and dash buzzed and pulled to the left like a thing that likes to pull to the left and the Bridgestone RE040 tyres were down right dangerous (had me in a ditch and broke a wheel.

Saying that I still loved it, on the airfield it was just as quick as a standard turbo 2000 up to just over the ton and above that it was slightly quicker.

I only got rid of mine due to the poor customer service offered by Mazda UK, when gearbox was broken they still expected me to drive about in it for 6 weeks untill they shipped a gearbox over from Japan, they did offer to hire me a car at my expence though!!!!

I then traided it in for the Subaru I have now but I still hanker after another.

Oh yea when my 2005 STI was still standard it got much better MPG than the Mazda!

graeme
Old 12 March 2011, 08:19 PM
Andy03STI
Scooby Regular

My brother has a 230 rx8 and gets 13mpg around town 19 mpg on motorway.
Old 13 March 2011, 12:34 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Rx8 = thirsty gutless unreliable POS. Avoid
Old 13 March 2011, 01:35 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of months ago I went to test drive a couple at the Mazda dealership in Watford, neither would start due to engine flooding as the salesman had "warmed them up for a few minutes" prior to me arriving"!! Stupid of him but none the less it put me right off. The following week as I was driving towards the dealership I one of them on the back of a flatbed! Both were 07 plate, higher bhp mpdels with under 30k miles.
Old 13 March 2011, 09:48 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I honestly cant think of a single reason why anyone would buy one of these. I think you will regret it big time.

By all means sell your Impreza if you really want to, but not for an RX8.
Old 13 March 2011, 02:44 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Have you test driven one? Its going to seem awfully slow compared to a tyre ra impreza plus it will probably use the same amount of fuel.
Old 13 March 2011, 03:15 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mifo
Have you test driven one? Its going to seem awfully slow compared to a tyre ra impreza plus it will probably use the same amount of fuel.
Trust me the fuel consumption will be worse. Now if it was a 400 hp monster I could forgive 15 mpg.
Old 13 March 2011, 03:19 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Trust me the fuel consumption will be worse. Now if it was a 400 hp monster I could forgive 15 mpg.
To think the engine won an award too. It seems to be inferior to the piston type in all areas except smoothness.
Old 13 March 2011, 03:23 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Im on my second scoob now after 7 years of being introduced to them 1st was a type r ,then my uk classic track car and am now looking for a good daily driver just cant get enough of them by far in my eyes the best car ever produced .

Good luck with your new car bmw m3 for me mazda no !
Old 13 March 2011, 03:23 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
To think the engine won an award too. It seems to be inferior to the piston type in all areas except smoothness.
Yeah one of those ****** engines aren't they
Old 13 March 2011, 03:26 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bigsinky
Yeah one of those ****** engines aren't they
I couldn't possibly bring myself to say that.
Old 13 March 2011, 04:11 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

my son had a 230 special 55 plate for about 6 months was really well equiped leather seats bose sound system you get the picture but he found he neded a tanker to follow him around and was forever topping up the oil got rid of it and bought a ctr better fuel and pretty muchbetter everything over the rx8
Old 13 March 2011, 04:31 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

At the end of ever time make sure u give the car a good rev before turning off to avoid flooding the plugs, ( common problem dads did this twice) White gunk round the oil cap us also normal and nothing to worry about so Mazda say, uses alot of oil if used round town and lastly fuel is terrible alot worse than my Impreza