Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scoobys for sale with no history...

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2011, 11:09 PM
Roo1984
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scoobys for sale with no history...

Alrite peeps,

im looking to get another scooby only a year after selling my old classic to try and grow up, but as you can now see ..... i havent! :

ive seen a couple i like, however one has no paperwork/history....

whats your opinion on sales like these....

im wary, however, its possible that it could be a great genuine car!

Andy
Old 03 March 2011, 11:15 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

A great genuine car would have been cherished and each and every receipt and service would be documented. A car with no paperwork isn't worth touching imo. You don't know its mileage is genuine, you don't know whwn it was last serviced, is the cambelt due? Many service their own cars, however most provide some evidence that the work has been done. If you buy one without any paperwork, budget for a 30k service plus cambelt plus brake fluid to be sure its upto date
Old 03 March 2011, 11:19 PM
Roo1984
Scooby Newbie

Gotcha mainly what i was thinking, im looking at getting a classic. i can see why some have paperwork missing on 15 year old cars, but alarm bells do ring sometimes i guess. but for a couple of 'K' opposed to ten of 'k' is it worth the risk :s

Last edited by Roo1984; 03 March 2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: missed summert
Old 03 March 2011, 11:33 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
A great genuine car would have been cherished and each and every receipt and service would be documented. A car with no paperwork isn't worth touching imo. You don't know its mileage is genuine, you don't know whwn it was last serviced, is the cambelt due? Many service their own cars, however most provide some evidence that the work has been done. If you buy one without any paperwork, budget for a 30k service plus cambelt plus brake fluid to be sure its upto date
i dont totally agree with this, although it is a massive risk buying a car with no or little history. i bought mine 5 years ago with no history from a private seller, as well as cars before. iv had very few problems with with the scoob.a MAF, a top hose, a rad, a misfire (spark plugs), and a gear box most recently.
Personally i wouldnt be put off by no history go look at them have a good look if your not sure take someone who knows what they are looking at.
i do agree however that if you do end up with a car with little history then do a major service and timing belt just to be on the safe side.
if you gonna buy another one your gonna go look at several there all worth a look!!
Old 03 March 2011, 11:57 PM
bobby260480
Scooby Regular

I bought mine with no history paperwork, and i've had few issues with it, so just be careful and as ric said above take someone that knows what they looking for.
Good Luck!!
Old 04 March 2011, 12:17 AM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

but i have bought well maintained cars with fsh in the past only for the head gasket to go weeks later!!
its nice to have all the paperwork and cars worth more and will sell easier bla bla bla but theres nothing to say a car with no paperwork is bad or one with paperwork is good!!

i think you have to be clever in these cases and go over the cars with fine tooth comb if you dont know flat fours or scoobys you MUST take someone with you that does, also if you have a reg the internets a great place these days for finding stuff out!!
Old 04 March 2011, 12:28 AM
Roo1984
Scooby Newbie

maybe someone near lincoln who can help me then
Old 04 March 2011, 12:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If it's a UK car get the seller to call up the local dealer and give them the reg/vin number. Thye should be able to tell you what they know about it i.e. when it was serviced in the official dealer network, who supplied it etc. They will even have the alarm code and radio code. The seller will need to make the call as obviously they won't just tell anyone that information.
Old 04 March 2011, 05:38 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

There is so many Scoobies for sale at the moment at pocket money prices I dont think you need to look at any without service history
It's not like they are rare as hens teeth

Best sign up to a couple of local forums as you will always find a club member selling one which other members know about ,or on here as long as he has lots of posts
Be prepared to travel though but steer clear of no history
Old 04 March 2011, 08:03 AM
acstua
Scooby Regular

ive had a few cars w/o any paperwork as they looked and felt so good at the time
nothing has really bitten me back for it asuch
although my current car needed a new rad within weeks of purchase heh

i just start building up the paperwork when i buy them and have a few years worth by the time i sell up
Old 04 March 2011, 08:23 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's a fresh Jap import then it's not uncommon not to have any paperwork.
Old 04 March 2011, 08:38 AM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

My latest came with only one MOT but I looked on the web at the MOT site (official Government one) and can see all previous MOT history there - proves milage too.

Personally history or not doesn't bother me too much. Paper work doesn't stop a car being a lemon or prevent things breaking on a car that has been reliable for the previous owner.
Also, nothing stops someone with wads and wads of history from "losing" the receipts/paperwork for work done that may indicate problems/damage/abuse.

History can make a car look like whatever the owner wants it to. No history you can't do much about either way.
Old 04 March 2011, 08:39 AM
pigSTi
Scooby Regular

+1 to get me away from 113 post count... supersticious hehe

#114 pheew
Old 04 March 2011, 09:52 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Mines for sale in the for sale section, and you won't get a more geniune car than that!!!!!!!
Cheers
Colin
Old 04 March 2011, 10:01 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

im selling mine at the minute, it had fsh when I got it, ive lost the lot though including mot.

I know now that you can search history so if you see one you like but they make the same claim contact subaru and they will confirm if there is service history on the car or not and for a small fee will give you a print out.

just because there is no history dosent meen there is none available

hth
Old 04 March 2011, 10:04 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't touch a performance car without any history.
Old 04 March 2011, 10:20 AM
westallc
Scooby Regular

i was selling a 555 v2 with no history but the car was owned by a engine builder that most know who rebuilt the engine and did all belts etc etc etc so engine is like brand new

the car is mint and is as oem as poss i have the mot but that is it

it a known car on the forum i brought it from and regarded as very nice and solid car

does this mean people should stay away from it???

i went and viewed many subaru's that had fsh and imo most where heaps and i walked away!!!!!!!! this one with no history was by far the best to look at and to drive with the added bonus that i could ring the guy that built the engine to confirm what he had done

dont always walk away from cars with no service history!!
Old 04 March 2011, 10:53 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

when i traded in my focus st it had all the recepts for everything i had done like air filter and stainless and other things had about 20 to 25 reciepts.

the service book was fully stamped as well.

well anyway the dealer kept the service book and chucked away the other stuff.

a lot a poeple like having the old reciepts but the dealer wasnt interested at all as long as the service book was up to date.

my mate had a golf mk2 rallye rare as hens teeth he had reciepts for 20k ,sold the car on ebay and the bloke who picked it up chucked them in the bin
Old 04 March 2011, 02:44 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If a car has no paperwork at all then i wouldn't touch it.
Old 04 March 2011, 03:04 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

got mine with last 2 years history as it had been lost..checked all numbers abd it was fine full v5 in my name all sound..better still...turns out its 1 of the 25 prodrives that were made in 95..emailed subaru uk who confirmed this and puttin some details in writing for me...got it very cheap too...result...