Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prodrive down pipe + de cat help!

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2011, 10:40 PM
sparky113
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive down pipe + de cat help!

Hi all,
i have just purchased a prodrive sports cat down pipe and second decat for my wrx bug. i am planning for a remap in the summer (hopefully with duncan/ race dynamix, heard he is good) but the standard downpipe on the car at the moment is blowing.
so my question is, is it ok to change the down pipe and second de-cat withput a remap for the time being as the blowing is doing my nut in. its only doing it a little but i like it to be right.cos it sounds pants!

i except there wont be too much of a power increase untill the remap
but can i expect a bit more sound and a bit more popping with the prodive sport cat and decat fitted?
sorry for sounding a bit of a newbie but im learning a rather steep/expensive but fun learning curve , i have jumped from a 1.4 mg zr to a 2 litre turbo!!
cheers
Sparky
Old 02 March 2011, 10:48 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Better and safer to have the leak on your down pipe fixed first rather than drive a non mapped car with a decat/sports cat.
Old 02 March 2011, 11:09 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just stick the new exhaust bits to your WRX bugeye

The Bug WRX ECU from the factory is pretty much crippled so as not to encroach on STi territory and on top of that the TD04 turbo is too small to boost spike LOL. The upside is that you can change quite a few things and not get into trouble ..

You will get minimal increase in BHP changing the exhaust as the very clever DENSO ECU thinks you have a lowly WRX and will simply compensate for the exhaust change. Boost will come a little sooner and the noise will be different but not a lot of change on the driving front !

Racedynamix will unleash the real potential with a re-map and drop you into Sti land Just make sure the intake and fuel side of things are sorted at the re-map time

Shaun
Old 02 March 2011, 11:27 PM
sparky113
Scooby Regular

thanks for the quick replies
i have heard that it is ok on the bug wrx but everyone seems to have a different or should i say split look on it.
i have spoken to my local garage and to get the blowing fixed obviously they need to take the downpipe of n change gaskets and to me it just seems daft for them to take it off only for a couple of months down the line to have to take it of again n put the sport cat on.
Old 02 March 2011, 11:30 PM
sparky113
Scooby Regular

when you say intake and fuel things sorted i take it you mean panel filter (which i have got) and fuel pump n 3 port. after remap am i right in thinking 260bhp ish??
Old 03 March 2011, 06:41 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It 'should' be no problem with fitting those to the bug wrx but it would be wise to get it checked out. I am quite often up in Northallerton (admittedly not on your doorstep but closer) if you wanted to pop over sometime and get it safety checked before a full remap later in the year
Old 03 March 2011, 09:19 AM
sparky113
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply Duncan. Do you go to motoscope by any chance?like I said I'm hoping to get it re mapped by yourself. What do you prefer to work with? So far I got a panel filter and 2.5" cat back single box Ashley competition exhaust which will be mated with the prodrive down pipe and decat. I'm not wanting to change turbo just want the best/most reliable out of the bug wrx. Oh and plus the pop n bangs mapped in ;-) !!

is it worth me heat wrapping the cat? or any other part of exhaust?
Cheers

Last edited by sparky113; 03 March 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:24 PM
sparky113
Scooby Regular

??
Old 03 March 2011, 10:36 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

H imate - sorry been up in manchester / oldham area today hence the early start and only back a short while ago.

Yes - I am at motorscope on monday and probably every 4-5 weeks in that area for a weekend or two day stint.

I would also recommend a 3 port solenoid on your car to bring out the best in it - should do well with that set up 8)

Gimme a shout on my mobile or text me and I can get back to you asap if you want to sort a date out.
Old 03 March 2011, 10:50 PM
sparky113
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, take it you map there cars then do ya? So I will be ok with what I got plus 3 port? Would it benefit me getting 255 fuel pump n y piece intercooler hose or is that not really needed with what I'm wanting to do? Sorry for all questions. Lol
Old 03 March 2011, 10:53 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I would always say it is a good idea to fit a walbro 255 - for the sake of £75 would you risk your engine? Having said that, most std fuel pumps would cope fine with sub 300bhp.

Yes - quite often at motorscope either mapping or tweaking road mapped cars to get the last ounce of power available etc.
Old 03 March 2011, 11:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your WRX intercooler is OK for the moment as is the piping to it AFAIK your 2 port will be OK at the moment, I'd spend any money you had set aside for the 3 port on new plugs

Shaun