Prodrive PP

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 1999, 02:04 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just for info.

Had my UK MY99 plotted up at PE when standard and it was 242BHP and 225lb/ft torque (at 1500 miles a few weeks back) running SUL.

Today, after having had a Prodrive Power Pack and Scoobysport ITG filter, the result was 259bhp and 257lb/ft torque, albeit with an extra 1k on the clock.

I have contacted Paul Strong and the charts will hopefully appear on his site sometime soon!

Regards
Old 06 November 1999, 02:17 PM
mcromie
Scooby Newbie

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but how come 242 BHP and not 215 BHP?

Mike
Old 06 November 1999, 02:51 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

mcromie, if you see any dyno plots you will see that Subaru underestimates the power of the cars. Most are around the 230 bhp mark. My own car is a UK MY94 and with only a filter and exhaust change was making 243 bhp on PE's dyno,

Mark
Old 06 November 1999, 03:33 PM
Dino555
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Sunilp,

Is the PPP for MY99 worth the money? You've only gained 17 bhp. There is a large improvement in torque though !!!

Do you recommend the PPP or should we wait for the P.E. Phase II upgrade???

Thanks

Dino

PS: what about your 3 years warranty?
Old 06 November 1999, 05:51 PM
Adam Hustler
Scooby Newbie

It's not the BHP it's the torque that matters when you have the Prodrive PP
The 3 years warranty is unafected

Adam with the RB5 Prodrive
Old 06 November 1999, 06:15 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Adam is absolutely right...without wishing to spark an old debate but torque is what matters much more than bhp gains.

Dino
I dont know if its worth it for the money but such is life. If you want a recognised warranty approved conversion then, at the moment, its your only choice.

I am getting a suitable downpipe next (as long as its ok with my dealer re warranty). This should make the torque and turbo spin up time absolutely fantastic. See Paul Strongs Dyno Site with Jonathan Rigby's RB5 prodrive with PE T75 downpipe! I have been told I think it might be better with a less restrictive (albeit noisier) back box.....this means i've paid £1800 quid for some intercooler piping and an ECU!.......ha ha ha.....live life!

Anyone want to buy a prodrive back box?

If you have an import or don't care about warranty then i guess a remap will probably be more cost effective (depends when available i suppose! - no good if your gonna have to wait 2 years!) I know its supposed to be "invisible" but i have heard of a few engines going "pop" recently that have been remapped.....hence MY CHOICE! (yes and i mean a REMAP...NOT A UNICHIP OR SUPERCHIP!)

If you're ever down in South London/Surrey then you're more than welcome to try it out!

Regards

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 06-11-1999).]
Old 06 November 1999, 06:55 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys...

The thing about being "invisible" is pooh...

Plug the select box in and it wont report an additional chip... but if you look at some of the values it does give you... a good mechanic/technician will notice the values arent standard..boost...fuelling.... etc..

The Select box will virtually give all values from the engine...

The Select box isnt used for services, etc... only for diagnostics...and chances are if the engine isnt running right after the remap, you'd take the car back to PE anyway... lol

J.

Old 06 November 1999, 07:13 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys...

The thing about being "invisible" is pooh...

Plug the select box in and it wont report an additional chip... but if you look at some of the values it does give you... a good mechanic/technician will notice the values arent standard..boost...fuelling.... etc..

The Select box will virtually give all values from the engine...

The Select box isnt used for services, etc... only for diagnostics...and chances are if the engine isnt running right after the remap, you'd take the car back to PE anyway... lol

J.

Old 06 November 1999, 11:59 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Jay

I read that twice

I read that twice
Old 07 November 1999, 03:37 AM
Dino555
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Hi Sunilp,

It could be that I'm coming over to the UK to watch the Network Q Rally (I live in Belgium). I'm not sure, depends on how much work I have.

If I were to come, I'd love a test drive !!!

You're 100% right about torque, that's what really matters. I'm having little difficulties choosing between the PPP or the Phase II (I've heard it would be released at the end of the year !!!). In Belgium, the dealers all have their stories about the PPP. Some say that your warranty isn't affected, some say it is! Go figure !!!

One thing is becoming more and more clear to me: I WAS BORN IN THE WRONG COUNTRY !!!!!!!!

Ciao

Dino
Old 07 November 1999, 08:23 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Dino

Well, if you do come over then let me know in advance.

Yes we were all born in the wrong country - we should have been born in JAPAN!......he he he!

Regards

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 07-11-1999).]
Old 07 November 1999, 01:19 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Most people know that I reckon the PPP is a bit of a rip-off!
You pay nearly £2k for a filter, backbox and ECU chip. Then most people change the Prodrive back box for a SS one. You get increases of approx 15bhp + 30b/ft.
I know torque is the most important factor, but if you able to but each item individually it would be much better.
Yes, you get a warranty still, but if you go to PE and get a phase 1 for example, and problems arise, they'll sort it out.
In my opinion, the PPP only comes into play if you have a MY99 and really can't wait.
For half the total outlay of the PPP, you can have 20+ more bhp and 20+ more lb/ft of torque! (Re-map, exhaust, filter). You could then get Leda B or better brakes with the money left over.
It's very much a personal choice, but not one I'd personally make. No offence to those that have purchased it though, I'm sure you're all very happy with it!

Stef.

Old 07 November 1999, 02:27 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi chaps...

Does the new PPP ECU have a part number on it ?

I know prodrive offer about 5 different ECU's...if not more... just wondered if it was one of these...

J.
Old 07 November 1999, 03:05 PM
TJ
Scooby Regular

I agree with Adam, I have an RB5 WR sport and no car I test drove at any of the dealers came anywhere near it for response, torque or top end grunt. I have since driven an MY99 and they are not comparable.

The PPP might be a bit on the expensive side but it certainly works and you keep your warranty.

Cheers

Tony.

PS As for the Network Q, Rally of GB or whatever they call it now, go for it geezer, get on the ferry and get in them forrests with the rest of us!
Old 07 November 1999, 04:03 PM
Dino555
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Guys,

How different is the intercooler piping, can anybody mail me some pictures??? (email DinoWRX@vt4.net)

The Prodrive rear wing, is it also sold seperately?

Did any of you do some acceleration tests before and after??? Some figures would be nice for comparing.

Anders' engine blow-up, was it P.E. related? I've heard different stories, now I would like to hear the truth ( the truth is out there .......... )

Bye

Dino
Old 07 November 1999, 04:21 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stef,
I hear what your saying but MY99 owners are over a barrel at the moment (i couldnt wait!) and, also REMAPS can make your engine go BANG. Now, i dont fancy having mine rebuilt at any point thankyou very much!

Dino
The Prodrive rear wing is sold seperately (i dont have it!)
See Links on SIDC as someone has scanned the brochure into their web page!
I havent got any before and after acceleration figures but they are in the Prodrive Literature for the pack. I think the PPP is more about driveability and punch than outright acceleration.

Jay
Is there anything you DONT KNOW!

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 07-11-1999).]
Old 07 November 1999, 05:12 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

erm...erm...

What I'm gonna have for tea ? Chicken seems a good option...

Yummy

J.
Old 08 November 1999, 03:35 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Anyone looked at Gryphonic Motorsport, or something? Links from SIDC main page.
STi do intercooler piping upgrades - sound familiar?
Old 08 November 1999, 03:55 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

What exactly is the difference between a re-map on a standard ECU, and the actual Prodrive ECU?
Is it not simply a standard ECU to which they have added different parameters (ie, re-mapped)?
Of course a PPP'd car will feel better at a test drive compared to a standard car, but has anyone driven a PPP and then a car equipped with a re-map (PE). I think the difference between a PE car and a PPP car would be the same as the difference between a PPP car and a standard one.
Having never been in either, I've got no idea what I'm talking about , but I'd be interested to hear the view of someone that's driven all three versions.

Stef.
Old 08 November 1999, 07:19 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Stef, we are talking about the MY99 PPP so it is impossible to compare a 99 PPP with a 99 PE Remap as the latter does not exist yet.

And like i said, remaps make you go bang (sometimes!)
Old 08 November 1999, 07:19 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Stef, we are talking about the MY99 PPP so it is impossible to compare a 99 PPP with a 99 PE Remap as the latter does not exist yet.

And like i said, CERTAIN remaps CAN make you go bang (sometimes!)So, whilst a Prodrive ECU is a remapped unit, something isnt the same!
Old 08 November 1999, 09:16 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys..

The prodrive PP ECU is just an ECU with different maps. It cant be classed as remapped.. as the PPP maps are the only ones the ECU ever had... Prodrive have spent a looooong time refining the standard maps....

The difference is in the mapping... PE take each car to its limit, hence why they individually map each car.. and why a few cars have gone bang (is it 5 upto now ?oops). The PPP ECU isnt pushing the car to such extremes.. they have mapped it to obtain max performance, but to allow it to work on everycar without any problems.

If you compare the PE development costs to the Prodrive ones...you'll laugh... Hence why Prodrive charge so much.

The ECU can give the most gains... mapping is a fine art.. that takes 1000's of miles and 100's of hours to achieve...

I'm not slating PE... but there is no way you can compare the two companies experience and knowledge. PE has a few years (maybe 2)..compared to Prodrive's legacy ?

J.
Old 08 November 1999, 09:30 PM
mark245
Scooby Regular

Firefox, can you confirm that 5 PE remapped cars have gone pop? Thats the reason that I went the PE route, as I wanted more performance, but within safe parameters [ as opposed to something like a Superchip]. Anyone with any info on these incidents? Did these happen on the road, or during track time? Anders?

regards, Mark
Old 08 November 1999, 10:31 PM
Dino555
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Guys,

I thought that a P.E. remap was invisible??? How are you going to hide a blown engine from your dealer ???

Did David Power give any financial support to the victims ???

The rumour is that Anders fiddled around with a programmable ECU (Motec ???) and that caused his engine to blow. Firefox, you seem to be in another league when facts are consurned, can you explain this one please??

Thanks

Dino
Old 09 November 1999, 09:48 AM
Benny Boy
Scooby Regular

Dino

Interesting rumour on Anders' car and complete cobblers!!

He had a Power Engineering re-map which means that it is based on the standard ECU which means that you can't alter anything unless you take it back to Power Engineering.

Regards

Ben
Old 09 November 1999, 09:50 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi chaps...

I should never have said anything...

Please contact PE is relation to any concerns.... If you are concerned about the remap... get it in writing that they havent had any problems with engines blowing or developing problems. Although how they relate the remap to an engine blowing is a grey area...

Anders has never had a Motec system (or any adjustable ECU).... he had a PE remap done... again.. perhaps a coincedence that his engine developed problems afterwards... Speak to Anders about it.

J. *keeping quiet now*
Old 09 November 1999, 10:20 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Sunilp.

MY99 remaps are available, just not from PE in this country.
Didn't someone from Switzerland say there were at least three firms there that were offering the service?

J.
Thanks for that.

Stef.
Old 09 November 1999, 05:46 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Graphs are now on Paul Strongs site - thankyou very much Paul

Bash
What downpipe have you got?

Stef
Someone did say that Stef but we have no indication as to reliability etc. That is my whole point "RELIABILITY"....and i cant be arsed to go to Sweden for a rechip....and what about WARRANTY again?

At the end of the day its all down to the risks you take. Look at that Cossie geezer you keep ranting on with....all very well having that sort of power but things keep going bang and breaking!. Personally, i need a car that i can use all the time without hassle. I know countless people with OTT modified cars and they spend 70% of the time fixing em and 30% driving em. I am not a mechanic but i appreciate performance with reliability and useability.

I AM NOT SLATING ANY SUPPLIER WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT, BUT JUST SAYING WHY I WENT FOR THE PPP.

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 09-11-1999).]

Quick Reply: Prodrive PP