ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Lease cars

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2001, 12:52 AM
STONE THE BONE
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Have many members got lease / company cars??

What changes can be made to improve performance on the my01 model without the lease company knowing??
If there is a chip change, which one's are undetectable by the dealer?
Is there a benefit to the filter change without converting the back box?

Thanks for your help.
Old 20 March 2001, 02:25 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Cool

i have ordered my my01 (here in 10 days!!) via a lease company, as long as the warranty is unaffected they are fine. for that reason ive paid for the prodrive performance pack in with the cost of the car. im not sure what theyd think if you altered the car after youd started the lease (warranty or not)
Also depends if the lease is pure hire or lease purchase, if its a purchase plan then they are never going to see the car again so you could have more done to it- just dont expect the lease co. to service it (if thats in your deal) if its been buggered about with.

tiggs
Old 20 March 2001, 02:25 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Stone

First thing I would do is read the small print on your lease agreement. Also decide if you are intending to keep the car at the end of the lease. I would be careful doing anything permanent just in case. My car is on a personal lease and the changes that I've made (decent exhaust etc) can all be changed back easily if that's what they want (but to be honest, I'm probably going to keep mine anyway)

Chris
Old 20 March 2001, 04:33 PM
STONE THE BONE
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Thanks for the response;
I havew not been offered the PPP and I do not know the cost? How much and what do I get?
Thanks again,
Stone.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tiggs:
<B>i have ordered my my01 (here in 10 days!!) via a lease company, as long as the warranty is unaffected they are fine. for that reason ive paid for the prodrive performance pack in with the cost of the car. im not sure what theyd think if you altered the car after youd started the lease (warranty or not)
Also depends if the lease is pure hire or lease purchase, if its a purchase plan then they are never going to see the car again so you could have more done to it- just dont expect the lease co. to service it (if thats in your deal) if its been buggered about with.

tiggs[/quote]

Old 20 March 2001, 04:47 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

My mate had an Accord Type-R and he put a cd player in on his on accord (excuse the pun) and consequently got in trouble from his firm.

Not a performance enhancing addition I guess.....lol

Ron
Old 20 March 2001, 08:17 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ppp is the performance upgrade from prodrive- do a search to see what its all about as im not to up on the underbonnet stuff. anyway, as its from prodrive the lease co. should treat it like any other dealer supplied extra- like mats!
only prob. with extras if youre giving the car back after the lease is the cost- most divided the extras cost by the months the lease runs for then add it to your premium, this means you pay £2,000 over x years then give the ppp back with the car. rip off.
either go for cheap options or do a lease purchase where you get to keep what you added. other benifit of purchase is that its based on you paying a final sum to purchase the car and a lot of lease co. seem to think the wrx will be worth very little in years to come. this makes it a bargin and if it holds value like the old one youll be quids in!
Old 20 March 2001, 08:46 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Interesting question..

If the car is on maintinance with the lease co then they will be concerned if you do anything that could cause damage to the car, thus increasing their costs. Tho knowing most lease companies, they would pass any 'damage' costs on to your company.

Fitting a PPP could upset the lease co, as uprated brake pads are fitted, increasing the cost.

If you want to chat on the phone call me at work - 020 8363 3456

David
Old 20 March 2001, 10:53 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

note there are no longer uprated brakes on the ppp, my01 has better brakes as std. so wont affect lease

tiggs

and lease co. have no prob. if its paid for at outset- if you upgraded the stero and it broke theyd still fix it- its the same thing for ppp
Old 20 March 2001, 11:06 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

STB,

I'd be more worried what your *insurance* company would have to say, rather than the lease company!!!!

You may end up driving without insurance - not a good idea.

mb
Old 20 March 2001, 11:53 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
STB, Boomer has a very good point. Check your insurance position before you do anything. From what I've read on this BBS, insurance companies are often ignorant, inconsistent and totally unpredictable. You could easily land yourself in deep poo.

My car's leased, including service. But I have an 'understanding' with my dealer which basically means the lease company is charged the cost of standard parts etc and I pay the difference personally. This worked fine until it came to new tyres when some pillock from the fitting company spilt the beans and decided to tell my lease company about a few non-standard parts he'd noticed.

They went berserk of course. I had to do some fast talking, but they were fine when I said a) this is all Prodrive stuff (well, most of it!) and warranty is 100% intact, b) if something should go wrong as a result of my mods, I will personally pay in full/the difference, and c) when the lease is up the car will be returned in 100% standard spec (I've kept all the original parts for refitting).

However, with company cars becoming less and less of a perk I'm going to opt-out at the end of the term and buy the car myself.

Richard
Old 21 March 2001, 01:05 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Just one point - not that i would suggest that your talking any b**lsh1t, but the PPP isnt ready yet for the MY01 WRX - so why are you paying for it when it wont be ready to fit in 10 days time??

Jza
Old 21 March 2001, 01:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hoppy:
<B>STB, From what I've read on this BBS, insurance companies are often ignorant, inconsistent and totally unpredictable.
Richard[/quote]

.......a bit like many of their customers, from what i've read on this BBS

Old 21 March 2001, 02:02 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

...and what line of business would you happen to be in Mr Standing???
Old 21 March 2001, 02:04 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Talking

'ere we go again.. hand bags at dawn!
Old 21 March 2001, 08:00 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Smile

"10 days"
the ppp will be fitted when its ready, its paid for now as the lease co, have to cost it in with the whole package.
the dealer has charged 2k, which prodrive have said it wont exceed, if its much less the dealer will rebate the difference via some free extras (bodykit bits maybe?)
to be honest if it turns out to be £1800 i dont care much, no b***s**t!!!
Old 21 March 2001, 09:08 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
<B>...and what line of business would you happen to be in Mr Standing??? [/quote]

....professional sh1tstirrer mate.....

Old 21 March 2001, 09:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Tiggs,

do the (your) mods increase the "list" price of the car? Company car tax (which is about to skyrocket, especially for Scoobies) is based on the car price plus all extras!

mb
Old 21 March 2001, 10:52 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Smile

the list price is increased but i pay the lease costs myself and my co. pay me a car alowance that covers the cost gross. (i then offset the lease cost against 40% tax)
im lucky because part B of the car option means that while i lease my own car, means i get what i like, the co. still insure me and my wife to drive! im 27 shes 24 neither have NCB, both have points and she wrote off my brand new 200sx a year ago= expensive insurance normally!

tiggs

Old 22 March 2001, 03:10 PM
STONE THE BONE
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Tax will be on the Co2 emmissions from April 2002 - The wrx is high but not toooo bad.

Don't argue guys we all here for the same reason - bulls**t or not!!