Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Tracking system would you choose?
Tracker
20.00%
TrackStar
20.00%
None
60.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Tracking Systems - What would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2011, 07:31 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tracking Systems - What would you choose?

Hi

My Tracker subscription is coming to an end and my car also has TrackStar GPS system fitted.

Of the two which would you choose? Tracker is 'radio' based and has a known track record, trackstar is a GPS system but i dont know much about them.

Yes I know some of you will say dont bother, but i like the security aspect of this type of system, also (to those who are in the insurance business) IS there any reduction to cost if you use one?
Old 14 February 2011, 07:35 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

I would'nt. My insurer (admiral) told me it would save me around £20 a year, so i would never see the return on my investment....in fact i have a spec D sti now which has trackstar fitted as standard and i dont even pay the subscription, since even that would not net me a return!....
Old 14 February 2011, 07:36 PM
screechy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you considered the other GPS based trackers that are out there (like the SIM card ones)? I'm also interested in thoughts on this as may be sorting one of these myself.
Old 14 February 2011, 07:40 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

not considered any other as i have a specD (as above) with the system already fitted.
Old 14 February 2011, 07:56 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

there a £300 sim card version one out there someonewhere. you install it - car gets nicked you ring / text and it tells you the grid reference of where it is --- Crap if it uses the iphone as i can never get a signal!
Old 14 February 2011, 07:59 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Get the Tracker with the GPS option.
Sure if your an existing customer Tracker only charge £90 for a new one.

I have a Tracker Horizon in mine, which is usual Tracker + GPS, so best of both worlds.
Old 14 February 2011, 08:03 PM
screechy
Scooby Regular

Thought I found a snooper one which uses the orangr / t-mobile signals for around £120 but no idea if it's any good
Old 14 February 2011, 10:02 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by screechy
Have you considered the other GPS based trackers that are out there (like the SIM card ones)? I'm also interested in thoughts on this as may be sorting one of these myself.

My local church had a problem with Mobile phones going off all through sermons Vicar got fed up with this so he bought a little Tri-band GPRS/GSM black box the stops every phone in a Hundred metre radius getting a signal in our out. HEAVEN

They are VERY portable not very expensive, easy to find and get. They can do 500mtr radius.

I try not to park next to the Church, as alarm will know its GPS position and try to dial out to saying "HELP I'm being stolen at N123232-W343437 HELP" and no phone(GPRS/GSM) signal.

The last thing you'd want to do is give the Vicar a lift and forget to take the unit out of his pocket, it would never get a signal back to base. or recieve a Text to say STOP or HALT etc.

Technology is great but it only amazes or baffles the people that buy it, not the thieves Do a google search bet you find cheaper than your subscription IMHO

One of the reasons why insurances don't DEMAND these a fitted. They will catch the ignorant Joy riders but rarely a "Thief"

Most car sites try to avoid these topics VOODOO because the might help "Thieves" sorry the only ones in the dark are the Buyers. IMHO

Buy mechanical systems

Tony
Old 15 February 2011, 08:17 AM
x-helen-x
Scooby Regular

I had a Cobra Track fitted to mine just for peace of mind.
Old 15 February 2011, 08:27 AM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

i had a tracker horizon fitted to fine, good value for money and the service i received was fantastic
Old 15 February 2011, 01:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Waste of time IMHO so don't bother if insurance co don't insist ... expensive to install, don't save much on the premium, fairly easy for hardened crims to bypass + you'll get a fooked car back after it has been ragged all over town.

TX.
Old 15 February 2011, 01:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I used to have a tracker monitor.

But I personally find their customer service to be lacking; they are great up to the point it is fitted, but afterwards they offer no service except some propagander and the actual tracking once the car is stolen.

If there is any question on the tracker unit's operation, they are unwilling to send someone out to test it. The tracker on my car had been fitted for five years; how do I know it still works, or if the backup battery is still OK? They wanted to charge me to send someone out to have a look at it. Considering the subscription fees I think they should include this FOC.

They also offer zero concession/discount for existing customers who buy a new car.

Then there is the fact if the car is stolen - do you really want it back?

As such, the only time I'll have a tracker is if insurance is cheaper, most of the time the discount is the same as the sunscription costs, so there is no point as there is no saving.
Old 15 February 2011, 01:56 PM
STi_Si
Scooby Regular

Had both Tracker and Trackstar, no issues with either, personally would rather have one that not, but don't know much about any of the other options...