Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new camera related toys... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2011, 07:29 PM
G4R3TH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new camera related toys... ;)

After years of not being able to see much in reverse gear in the Impreza, finally got round to buying a reverse camera. For less than 120 large ones, I managed to get a DVD player to replace the double din stereo (Ripspeed special; I know but cant knock it for the price ) a reverse camera mounted into a number plate surround and extra compartment space in the dash!

The image quality is great (much better in the flesh, so ignore my dodgy photography skills) and the stereo gives me added options for SD and USB (in glove box) playback. The camera gives the option to flip the image so is viewed much like the rear view mirror and it has 16 LED's mounted in the surround to aid reversing at night.

To even things up at the front, installed a GPS black box recorder. Not a great lot of point to it but is handy for track/drag/scooby meet days and if you get into trouble and need video evidence to get you out of the brown stuff! Plus it has cool G force graphs and tracks your route on Google maps and parking mode motion detection when the car is locked up.

Not your usual mods but definately fun to have if you're a gadget geek! I would recommend the reversing camera to anyone, it's easy to fit and saves you from reversing into those pesky low walls and bollards.

Next on the to do list is fit my wing stiffies then start saving for serious brake and remap mods.
Old 13 February 2011, 07:33 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ive got a reversing camera in mine too its excellent, find myself leaving it on when im driving to see if I get any flames to go with the pops
Old 13 February 2011, 07:57 PM
the bear1986
Scooby Regular

if you dont mind me asking were did you buy both of these and how much as looking for something like this but havent had much luck.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:35 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Does it start up automatically when you drive off? There was a youtube video a while back where some garage monkeys went out on a "test drive" with a customers Monaro

TX.
Old 13 February 2011, 09:37 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Does it start up automatically when you drive off? There was a youtube video a while back where some garage monkeys went out on a "test drive" with a customers Monaro

TX.
Put a link up for that one,i haven't seen it yet?!
Old 13 February 2011, 10:19 PM
G4R3TH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
ive got a reversing camera in mine too its excellent, find myself leaving it on when im driving to see if I get any flames to go with the pops
Tempted to buy another reverse cam and fit it in the front bumper so can get an F1 view of the road!

Originally Posted by the bear1986
if you dont mind me asking were did you buy both of these and how much as looking for something like this but havent had much luck.
Brought the DVD stereo from Halfords along with the single din pocket and the reverse camera was from fleabay. All in cost less than £120. The black box was off a group buy from another forum.

TX.

It is powered on permanently, so even starts to record when someone/something moves across the front of the parked car. So pretty much a fit and forget item. I've wanted one since seeing that kick off on Youtube and the Monaro forum! Hopefully I won't see a repeat of that when I take mine in to a garage....
Old 13 February 2011, 10:36 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G4R3TH
It is powered on permanently, so even starts to record when someone/something moves across the front of the parked car. So pretty much a fit and forget item. I've wanted one since seeing that kick off on Youtube and the Monaro forum! Hopefully I won't see a repeat of that when I take mine in to a garage....
so you install it, fit it to a permanent live, and leave? and it auto records when theres motion detected infront?

if so, how long recording do you get, and does it just record over old footage when its full, or do you have to manually do it. very interested in one of these.

thanks, rez
Old 14 February 2011, 09:08 PM
G4R3TH
Scooby Regular

It records continuously onto a 4gb MSD and just loops so overwrites old data. It can take up to 16gb cards and the standard 4gb can handle about 8 hours of driving on the middle quality setting. Motion detection works when car is locked up and parking mode enabled.
Has loads of settings so you can set up recording to suit.
The wife says it's like watching police camera action, especially on a spirited drive!
Old 15 February 2011, 02:37 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G4R3TH
It records continuously onto a 4gb MSD and just loops so overwrites old data. It can take up to 16gb cards and the standard 4gb can handle about 8 hours of driving on the middle quality setting. Motion detection works when car is locked up and parking mode enabled.
Has loads of settings so you can set up recording to suit.
The wife says it's like watching police camera action, especially on a spirited drive!
where can i get one.

thanks, rez
Old 15 February 2011, 03:28 PM
Pulser299
Scooby Regular

prodriverules Quote:
TX.

here you go mate
http://"http://news.sky.com/skynews/...00911215446691

Last edited by Pulser299; 15 February 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 15 February 2011, 08:52 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by prodriverules
http://www.hsv.org.uk/topic.asp?t=747916&f=69&h=27

YouTube have removed the video though

TX.

Edit - found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZbQ_...FC41D5B6842BE8

Last edited by Terminator X; 15 February 2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 15 February 2011, 09:05 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

so is the unit you have a roadhawk? very tempted in one of these now, enquired about a group discount, if i hear anything il be posting it up, hoping to get them for a bit less than there £200 advertised price
Old 16 February 2011, 12:22 AM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Another one for the group Buy On Black Box GPS Recording.

See what you've started mate
Old 17 February 2011, 08:16 PM
G4R3TH
Scooby Regular

Mine is a Blackvue from a company called Pittasoft and not a Roadhawk. Very similar system though.

I got mine off a group buy from another forum. If there is enough interest, I could see if the reseller would do a group buy on this one?
Old 17 February 2011, 08:39 PM
the bear1986
Scooby Regular

That would really good of u if u could. How much was this when u did the group buy? Also what make is your camera as I can't find this one u have on eBay. Also was it easy to set up to your DVD as I have a kenwood DVD player in mine.
Old 17 February 2011, 10:00 PM
G4R3TH
Scooby Regular

I paid £150 for the GPS camera which is quite a good saving over the original £200 price. The Blackvue camera also has an AV port so can link to a monitor in addition to recording on the SD card. Other than that and the software layout, dont think there is much difference between this and the Roadhawk (haven't looked to deep into the Roadhawk so I may be wrong on this assumption!)

If RE54 doesn't hear anything, i'll have a go.

The reverse camera from ebay can be found in the link below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Number-Plate-H...item563865dfd1

Setup was easy. You have a few cables to hook up to the reversing light cables using a piggyback connector. There is a seperate wire for the LED's so you can have them active with the normal lights or only when you reverse, just need to splice into the relevant light wire. Then just a case of feeding the AV cable through to the front. The stereo had a dedicated camera input but it also worked fine on the AV input lead.

Hope this helps.