Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Having a ***** day, changing jobs and the Scoob has to go..

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2001, 03:10 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cos it is on lease through work.

But new job pays much better Still, only part consolation.

Fancied a change of scene, so I'm off to a new employer in June. (No, its not IT as many of you will know ) Big downside is that I only have the Scoob till then. Still, there's more to life than cars and I wouldn't be moving if it was that important to me.

Felt the need to share that with you all 'cos I'm having such a bad day with work.

New job comes with car, but not as open. So, I've got three months to figure out whether to A) Take the cash instead and buy something, B) get something sensible but dull on the car scheme (will be doing a lot more miles so fuel economy is important) or C)get something smaller but fun on the car scheme.

Any suggestions will be more than welcome

Cheers

D
Old 20 March 2001, 03:13 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I always say, never take a job based on the car.

Always a bad choice in my experience.
Old 20 March 2001, 03:15 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Smile

D,

Take the cash mate! I did, and with the new taxation laws that are coming in next year, you'd get shafted for having a nice car. I know that I have to deal with Insurance and servicing etc, but that doesn't matter. A mate of mine has just got a TT225, and he will be paying 399 quid next year for the car each month due to the new tax laws.

Makes you think.

Matt

BTW, I have a 330D Sport Beemer having changed from my STI5 TypeR V-ltd. One if the best moves I ever made. A bloke near me has just swapped his P1 for a 330D, and loves it.
Old 20 March 2001, 03:16 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry to hear that Diablo - perhaps a golf/A3 1.8T... just a thought.

All the best in the new job!
Old 20 March 2001, 03:27 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

D, sorry to hear that, will be one less Scoob in the area then

I know the Golf PdiTdi... is supposed to be pretty good, but with so many people taking the smaller company car option, I can see the depreciation on these in a couple of years being the same as Mondeo sized cars are at the moment, still might be worth a look if the company are paying for it

Your new accommodation ready yet, or you still waiting?

Good luck anyway
Old 20 March 2001, 05:44 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cheers for replys guys.

Cem, took current job first, Scoob came later!

Matt, Dr E, was thinking along the Golf/Audi line, but possibly that new tdi due soon (now?) with 150bhp and a shed load of torque, on the new scheme, so I don't get the depreciation hit

In any event, I'm going to buy a bike this summer for my kicks Couldn't justify (afford - lol) that and the scoob.

Robertio - nah mate, its still being built. Hoping for end of May. Quite like where we are renting though - so handy for work!

D
Old 20 March 2001, 10:31 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

D

I can sympathise with you here. Gave up an RB5 as company car when moving jobs. New job came with no car - after 9 years of fully expensed company cars, finding out the costs of buying and running a car again was a big shock!!

I was scoobyless for a year before having the cash flow available to have one again.

If your thinking of economy with some degree of performance you may want to consider the Golf TDi (I see a few of the guys have mentioned this) & the Peugeot 206 or 306 diesels - not sure how these drive now as they have fitted the new HDi engine instead of the old turbo engine that I found pretty swift for a diesel!

Good luck with your new job.

Den
Old 20 March 2001, 10:44 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Diablo,

assuming the cash equivalent is not ridiculously low - opt-out and buy your own!

Throwing a few figures around (including assuming GBP2500 p/a for service, tyres etc) i will save TWO GRAND A YEAR by buying my company (MY00 turbo) car in a year or two and running it myself.

Fuel Card tax - going up, car tax, going up - at least buying your own gives you control (i.e. we will all be driving Nissan Micras if Fatty Two Jags gets his way!).

mb
Old 21 March 2001, 12:58 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the new job. Why not buy an older enthusiasts car - Audi Quattro, E30 M3, Integrale, 968 etc? You can pick some of them up for under £10k and they won't depreciate too much if looked after. You should save on insurance which will make up for the bigger bills.
Old 21 March 2001, 05:14 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

D,

I was in the same situation you are in about 9 mths ago. I opted to take the cash, as no decent cars were being offered thru work. Went and bought the Scoob and have not looked back since, I also have a fuel card and I am driving about 35K miles a year so I should break even on the tax issue. Hope this helps

Dunk