Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which fsh hawkeye should I buy: high mile spec d (70k) or low mile wrx sl (40k)

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2011, 01:42 PM
ex-lotus
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which fsh hawkeye should I buy: high mile spec d (70k) or low mile wrx sl (40k)

Hi there,

My story is: I owned an Elise for 6 years, the wife and I had a baby, bought an e60 525i sport, now after 6 months I've realised I actually want something a bit more sporting.

We test drove a 19k mile 56 plate WRX SL, and loved it to bits, but the brakes lacked feel, and the steering was very light. Still, it was great fun, and is probably the perfect balance of speed, agility, practicality and refinement for us. My wife liked it too, we both got out after the test drive grinning with fear

We only want to go for a discreet looking Hawkeye with black leather, so this limits us to an SL or a Spec D.

Our budget is £6-9k - the BMW's value give or take. This gets us (looking at auto trader and PH) a 1 owner FSSH WRX advertised at £8k with 40k, or a 1 owner FSSH spec D advertised at £9k with 70k.

From everything I read the Spec D (sti) is a better car than the wrx. However, we still loved the wrx we drove (the only Subaru we've ever driven) and I question whether at the 70k ish miles the spec D may need new suspension and given the more highly tuned engine I'm not sure how much life is left in it before a rebuild is required - which would essentially mean we can't afford it.

Are my concerns valid?
When do the 300bhp-ish sti engines become at risk of rebuild?
When is the suspension past its best?
Am I right to think clutches rarely last beyond 40/50/60k?

Oh and is the braking & steering feel more detailed on the spec D than wrx?

I'd appreciate your advice!

Pete

Last edited by ex-lotus; 06 February 2011 at 06:29 PM. Reason: a load of typos
Old 06 February 2011, 01:48 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

300bhp last you for ever
suspension knocks at rear. sometimes early, sometimes late but will need changing .
A clutch lasting 50k miles for £250 isnt to bad is it lol

Spec d always going to feel better but costs more money..
Old 06 February 2011, 02:17 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spec D all day long.
Old 06 February 2011, 02:20 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

That's a choice worth pondering, human nature is such that a number of WRX owners will possibly suggest the low miles WRX whereas it's likely STI owners will steer you in the direction of the spec D. It's possible that the steering and braking issues are down to tire inflation and the pads currently in use. I have a WRX and when I had to drive my old chap's Rover 45 I nearly put myself through the windscreen when braking, and found my Scoobie's pedal to feel a little heavy when getting back in my own car. However when under real load my Hawk brakes are noticeably better and aside from the Rover's eagerness to stand on its nose at low speeds I'd rather have the stopping power of my car any day of the week. The brakes are deceptively good.

I suggest you test drive both cars and then throw every consideration into the mix and make your choice based around your own preferences, as some would be drawn towards the low mileage while others will prefer the spec D for the specification.
By the way, I own an 06 Hawk with a few tweaks and find it hard to drive it in a manner where I'd be hindered by it's performance which has been achieved without having to re mortgage.

all the best with your purchase

Tim
Old 06 February 2011, 02:20 PM
juggers
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

has the spec d had an engine reuild as no doubt it will need one in the near future as the 2.5 engine is known for ringland failure.

Immy
Old 06 February 2011, 02:25 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

70k isnt that high for new cars imo , id go for the spec d
Old 06 February 2011, 02:55 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

If cambelt changes are due on the 2.5 engine at the same intervals as the 2.0, then you will be looking at a cambelt change in 10k on the wrx, and as long as the spec d has had its first already done, then 30k on that. This costs around £500, depending on the state of the pulleys and tensioner.

Engines shouldn't need a rebuild for a long time if they have been looked after properly.

You can change pads and get slightly better feel with the brakes, steering shouldn't feel that light, check tyre pressures.

Personally I'd go for the spec d, my wrx always makes me smile but you do get used to them quickly.

Test drive both and get the one you prefer.
Old 06 February 2011, 03:04 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

test drive the STI, Its all down to how well the sti has been looked after but 70k plus all the millage your going to add to it will make it a hard sell when you move on.
Old 06 February 2011, 03:12 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spec D, no real contest tbh I love a WRX but given the choice STi all day long

One plus side to the WRX SL is that the leather seats are heated and in the SpecD they aren't. This wouldn't change my mind though as I hate sunroofs

My SpecD..

https://www.scoobynet.com/album.php?albumid=47
Old 06 February 2011, 03:13 PM
mervil
Scooby Regular

Spec D there's one in the For Sale section on here as it happens well looked after and low miles !!
Old 06 February 2011, 03:39 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

well i have a hawkey wrx sl,
im running 355bhp and no problems,
i wanted something diff and im glad i went with this,
yes the brakes are a bit spongy but its not hard to fix them either get braided brake lines,with some mintex1144 or bluestuff pads, these changed my brakes massively,or get a set of brembos,

i changed my f@r arbs droplinks to whiteline ones with alk and droplinks, car feels like its on rails, very comfy and handles superbly,

my mate loves his spec d and they are great cars as well,it all comes down to personal choice but,leather,heated seats and sunroof swung it for me,

hope this helps

cheers tom
Old 06 February 2011, 05:50 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Test drive an sti then snap this one up! Low milage, better brakes than the wrx.
https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...low-miles.html
Old 06 February 2011, 08:55 PM
ex-lotus
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by awdx4
That's a choice worth pondering, human nature is such that a number of WRX owners will possibly suggest the low miles WRX whereas it's likely STI owners will steer you in the direction of the spec D. It's possible that the steering and braking issues are down to tire inflation and the pads currently in use. I have a WRX and when I had to drive my old chap's Rover 45 I nearly put myself through the windscreen when braking, and found my Scoobie's pedal to feel a little heavy when getting back in my own car. However when under real load my Hawk brakes are noticeably better and aside from the Rover's eagerness to stand on its nose at low speeds I'd rather have the stopping power of my car any day of the week. The brakes are deceptively good.

I suggest you test drive both cars and then throw every consideration into the mix and make your choice based around your own preferences, as some would be drawn towards the low mileage while others will prefer the spec D for the specification.
By the way, I own an 06 Hawk with a few tweaks and find it hard to drive it in a manner where I'd be hindered by it's performance which has been achieved without having to re mortgage.

all the best with your purchase

Tim
Thanks for your guidance Tim, I'd wondered if that would be the case I had the same in the Elise (no assistance not even servo) and every time I drove another car I'd press the middle pedal far to hard and send my passengers flying forwards. But hell did they stop the car, especially with a pad upgrade.

Originally Posted by juggers
has the spec d had an engine reuild as no doubt it will need one in the near future as the 2.5 engine is known for ringland failure.

Immy
Hi Juggers
Ooh er, I've read that 08+ (hatchback) 2.5s were susceptible to engine failure, didn't realise it was all 2.5s?

Originally Posted by F1 CJE UK
test drive the STI, Its all down to how well the sti has been looked after but 70k plus all the millage your going to add to it will make it a hard sell when you move on.
Thanks F1 CJE. Yes, very good point. It would definitely be a hard sell at 100k. I'd guess if we add 30-k in three years time the wrx will be worth £3.5k (loss of £4k on £7.5k purchase) the spec d at 100k will be worth £6.5k (loss of £2k on £8.5k purchase) - Do those numbers sound realistic? And the spec d shouldn't have blown up or needed a complete suspension refresh by this point either...

Originally Posted by Tomwrx
well i have a hawkey wrx sl,
im running 355bhp and no problems,
i wanted something diff and im glad i went with this,
yes the brakes are a bit spongy but its not hard to fix them either get braided brake lines,with some mintex1144 or bluestuff pads, these changed my brakes massively,or get a set of brembos,

i changed my f@r arbs droplinks to whiteline ones with alk and droplinks, car feels like its on rails, very comfy and handles superbly,

my mate loves his spec d and they are great cars as well,it all comes down to personal choice but,leather,heated seats and sunroof swung it for me,

hope this helps

cheers tom
cheers tom, I'm not overly fussed about heated seats, and I hadn't realised that the spec d didn't come with a sunroof (53 WRX) which i'd like :-)

how much did the arb and droplinks cost parts / labour? any reason you didn't get springs / dampers?

overall I tend to think that the spec d will almost certainly be past its best handling wise - i can remember how tight my Elise felt at 30k compared to 40k miles later.... I need to go and drive one see how it compares to a slower, fresher wrx.

btw way love the spec in the classifieds, if the owner would swap for my 525i SE sport (should be an easy sale at 8) plus a grand it'd be a deal done. but I think he is looking for more than that.

Cheers
Pete