Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

DAVE T-S - YOUR OPINION PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 12:52 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure you will have seen thread with the article from the Sydney Morning Herald revealing the new Impreza front end.

When do you think it will hit our shores / what will it doe to values and do you think the STi will be facelifted at the same time?
Old 12 April 2002, 12:54 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

i prefer the old shape its the original style, new shape to plain and like other cars. i think it will have no effect.
Old 12 April 2002, 01:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Well....since I am hardly the arbiter of good taste I am probably ill qualified to comment - but then I am never short of a comment

The original stories were that Prodrive had been hired to redesign ALL the external body panels. Now the story is that Subaru have hired a new designer and the Impreza will only be changed from the windscreen forward, so that's changed significantly.

I have always believed that there was no way that the car would be changed so early into the model life. Tooling costs for different body panels are incredibly expensive.

The other issue is sales. If sales are holding up, then why should they change it? There has been some debate on here about sales, and IIRC sales in the USA are well above SOA targets. They must like the bugeye look, remember this is the nation that sent us the Chrysler Neon in exchange (oh, and the AMC Pacer, but that's another story).

Normally, whatever you hear in motor industry rumours, take the opposite.....we'll see!
Old 12 April 2002, 01:42 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Having seen your post on the other thread, as to what it will do to residuals, you are definitely asking the wrong person - ten cars in two years, including six Imprezas between Mrs T-S and I

Simple philosophy - you only live once - buy what we want, and will get whatever the market dictates at sale time. I never look at it as how much we have "lost" or would be driving round in a Perodua Nippa

Live fast, die poor
Old 12 April 2002, 01:48 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Live fast, die poor
Old 12 April 2002, 01:50 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave.... I thought the Sydney Morning Herald Article seemed pretty definate about the restyle, and I guess what you said about the cost of change would make a windscreen forward restyle the most likely, particularly as this seems to be the area causing concern.

I guess we will hear the stories in the next week or two.

One day I'm over the moon waiting for my Sti and now I'm wondering whether to cancel. I'm all for the only live once thing, but I'm not sure I want to spend most of my life paying off Subarus depreciation as they introduce new models every two mins. The idea of getting my Sti in June ... and the new model arriving in October say, aint great
Old 12 April 2002, 01:53 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Has dave TS got a new job at Subaru or something?

Or can he answer all problems. If so I would appreciate an answer on this.

Last night I slept on the right hand side of the bed (as you look at it) and this morning a car hit a dog in front of me, do you think the two are connected? I have a bad back too.

Thanks
Old 12 April 2002, 01:56 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

>> One day I'm over the moon waiting for my Sti and now I'm wondering whether to cancel

If you want a car now and the STi meets your needs go for it. It's like buying a PC, if you waited until the 'next' model was out you'd never actually buy anything!

regards,

greg
Old 12 April 2002, 01:56 PM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

dave ts i like your attitude top man!!!!
Old 12 April 2002, 01:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I agree with Dave, it will be too expensive to re make all the tools etc, and IMHO all i think they will do is make morretts standard equiptment which doesnt half impove the look anyway and its cheap

Tony
Old 12 April 2002, 02:07 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

LOL @ davyboy...

No, not got a job at Subaru, just contribute towards their sales figures...talking of which, have probably propped up their figures for 2000,2001 and 2002

Re your mishaps, it's obvious - you haven't been wearing your lucky underpants, have you?

Of course, the bad back could be due to sleeping in the bed the other way round.

Thinking about it, the problem is probably that you have got your bed aligned the wrong way and you need Feng Shui done on your house. Oh, did I mention I do Feng Shui in my spare time??
Old 12 April 2002, 02:14 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

PS Davyboy, i'm keeping away from any comment on the dog point - it's getting *very* ugly in that thread
Old 12 April 2002, 02:16 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hehe, LOl @ Davyboy.

Well....since I am hardly the arbiter of good taste I am probably ill qualified to comment - but then I am never short of a comment

As always Dave is again right on the button with this one...... He is hardly the arbiter of good taste.
Old 12 April 2002, 02:17 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

LOL again @ daveboy

Try sleeping the same way again tonight and if the same happens again then you'll know there is a connection, however don't post on scoobynet about it you'll only start a ruck and upset the animal activists I have a bad back too, but I think that's down to the poor lumber in my bucket seats

Old 12 April 2002, 02:24 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Angry

Tuckshop

That's the last time I buy anything from you [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ( )
Old 12 April 2002, 02:27 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

mrdeli

Please don't ask me my opinion on anything else, i'm now getting facetious emails from people about getting ideas above my station.

Actually, don't worry about it, it was only Josh, and he hasn't even got a station, let alone an idea about anything
Old 12 April 2002, 03:59 PM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oops.
Old 12 April 2002, 07:04 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

hehe
Old 12 April 2002, 07:30 PM
moz.g
Scooby Regular

Mark (mrdeli) will you stop bloody worrying over the little things and just relax and wait for your car
After finding out what you do your not going to miss a couple of grand

Graham
Old 12 April 2002, 08:50 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

opps - corner
Old 12 April 2002, 08:50 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

some people can't help themselvs!
Old 12 April 2002, 08:57 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sorry - Just logged on and couldn't resist - muppet
Old 04 December 2002, 01:31 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

MY01 is two years old I reckon they would be looking to release a redesign/facelift when the car is 3/4 years old. Yes some people like it but there are also a lot people who dont. Subaru are into selling cars surely its easier to build a car that more people can like/live with, then they stand more chance of selling to more people, surely. How many people wouldnt buy a Fiat Coupe because of its looks ? How many people wont buy an Alfa GTV because of its looks ?. It doesnt matter how well a car drives because people wont test drive it. If you immediately put off a sizeable percentage of potential buyers because the way the cars looks then sales are not going to be a good as they could be.

Honestly I cant see why they didnt leak possible pictures of the new design or have owner design committees (didnt Ford do this ???) just to gauge reaction.

ChrisP

[Edited by chrisp - 4/12/2002 1:32:13 PM]