Sponsored by:

Advice needed please .

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2011, 06:39 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed please .

Bit of advice required please . My car is for sale in the classifieds on Pistonheads, only been up for 2 days and I received a call this evening from a german chap who was looking for a car like mine and was already in the uk . He had been to look at a couple that weren't any good apparently then happened upon mine on the web . He is travelling with 3 friends and he says he has the funds in cash to pay for the car and take it away to Germany tomorrow . How does exporting a car work ? Is it really that simple that we fill out the V5 and that's it ? Will I lose my cherished plate as I hadn't reckoned on it going this quickly ? Or does it sound like I'm going to get a clout on the head and never see my car again ?
Old 28 January 2011, 06:47 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy on here recently sold his car in Switzerland and drove there to do so, another guy sold to a couple of French guys.....think scoobs are in demand on the continent.,.....take a couple of mates with you, and let him view the car in a service station or similar....always law around in them or at least camera's.....i would go with it, money is money.....p.s. you will lose your plate if you dont get it on retention and re register your car....glwts
Old 28 January 2011, 06:49 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
Guy on here recently sold his car in Switzerland and drove there to do so, another guy sold to a couple of French guys.....think scoobs are in demand on the continent.,.....take a couple of mates with you, and let him view the car in a service station or similar....always law around in them or at least camera's.....i would go with it, money is money.....p.s. you will lose your plate if you dont get it on retention and re register your car....glwts
Yep RapidSTi sold his recently, worth a PM to Wayne as he seems a really helpful decent lad
Old 28 January 2011, 07:14 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

I sold my Pulsar a couple of years ago to a bloke from Denmark. He came over on the ferry and I met him at a petrol station near the dock. I borrowed a pen from the petrol station to check the notes and once he was happy to buy the car got him to sign a sold as seen statement filled out the log book and that was it. Went with someone though as you never know who is going to turn up.
Old 28 January 2011, 07:31 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice , they are getting a hotel in my area tonight so I'm going to see him later just to see if he's genuine . Petrol station a good idea then straight to the bank so he can pay the cash into my account , that is if he wants the car !
Old 28 January 2011, 07:42 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poo2y
Thanks for the advice , they are getting a hotel in my area tonight so I'm going to see him later just to see if he's genuine . Petrol station a good idea then straight to the bank so he can pay the cash into my account , that is if he wants the car !
I considered driving the bloke to the bank so that he was with me until the money cleared but after checking the notes with a pen and he seemed genuine I was happy to let him take the car. Was much happier once the money was in my account. If you doubt them in any way make them cone to the bank with you. If they are genuine and really want the car then they will do. Last thing you want is to loose your car and be left in possession of a load of dodgy bank notes.

Good luck with the sale though hope all goes well.
Old 29 January 2011, 07:43 PM
poo2y
Scooby Regular

Well I've still got the car , they called me last night and wanted to meet at 7 am , I said that we would have to wait for the bank to open to check the cash and they seemed ok about it and said they hadn't found a hotel but would find one local later on . This morning I called them at 8 am to see where they were and first of all he mentioned Blackpool then said getting onto the *** at Chester ( about 70 miles apart ) and he would be with me in an hour . Rang him an hour later and asked where he was and he replied about 10 mins away so I asked for a location and he said Thornton Cleveleys which is over one hundred miles away ! I don't think he wanted to meet me during bank opening hours for some unknown reason . Never mind , at least I can get my plate on retention now and I'm sure someone will want a jdm blobeye soon enough .
Nigel
Old 29 January 2011, 07:50 PM
webba23
Scooby Regular

You may still have the car but at least you are not out of pocket. Hope you manage to sell it soon.