Sponsored by:

A tale of 2 mappers and a big thankyou to Duncan@Racedynamix

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2011, 08:13 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A tale of 2 mappers and a big thankyou to Duncan@Racedynamix

Back in Nov 2009 i decided to treat myself to a few mods on my V5 Sti Type r, It had already been mapped for uk fuel and the Decat on Ecutek and was pushing out 300bhp and 280 ft/lb, so anyway i replaced the vf28 with a vf43, Front mount cooler, induction kit, new walbro pump and simtek ecu.

My mate who used to own Sheffield Subaru Service had already put simtek in his car and was happy how it pulled and felt and recommended his mapper (unknown on here, but very well known within the rally community).

So i decided to use the unnamed mapper and let him map the car while i was at work. At 12 o'clock i get a phone call saying my engines let go FANTASTIC!!!!

So he got it trailed back to Paul at SSS, Paul rebuilt the engine with a V9 nitrated crank, V9 rods, Original forged pistons and ACL race bearings set. I ran it in for a 1000 mile and a running in map courtesy of the mapper.

So then the mapper tried again, i got the car back after it had been mapped and was pretty pleased with the outcome, it was a little laggy but it was nice and aggresive when the turbo came in, the mapper said it should be pushing about 330bhp so i was pleased.

A few months passed and i was having a play with a V4 sti on a 70mph dual carriage way, who had 3 passengers in and i was just on my own, and he started pulling away from me, i thought to myself he must be pushing good power out, so anyway we came into a 40mph and we both stopped at a set of lights and had a little chat and he said it was standard with just a exhaust.
This got me a little worried so i decided to get it on the rollers and this was the outcome:

I was a little bit pissed with this so i went round and confronted the mapper, he said it was the turbo not suited to the 2.0 litre and various other excuses, i wasn't happy with what he said so i came on here and asked the mappers to give me some advice

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ndy-f-etc.html

I had to delete some of my posts because the mapper got named and i wanted the thread locking.

So i decided to use duncan to remap it, it was running extremely lean but it hadn't got any timing in it to do any damage, I'm sure duncan will explain it better when he comes along!

After he'd finished it felt like a totally different car and was over the moon.

Duncan's been back up to me a couple of times since for a few map tweaks due to surge and last week due to boost cut due to the cold weather and kept saying to me get it on the rollers and see what it's doing, i was happy with how it felt and trusted him so i wasn't bothered about putting it on.

He said he was going upto Zen today with one of my mates to tweak his car and said i should join them, i'd got some GT spec gen2 headers sat in the garage but was waiting to fit them when i uprated my injectors!
So yesterday i thought sod it i'll fit them and let Duncan give it a tweak on the Zen rollers and this was the outcome:

I don't think a set of headers can make you see a 80bhp gain so i just wanted to say a big big thankyou to duncan and your work doesn't go unappreciated

And thanks to Paul at Zen for the use of the rollers!
Old 15 January 2011, 08:41 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well chuffed with & for you Chris - great car you have there if you could just lose that bloody turbo timer pmsl

Gotta love the VF43 turbo
Old 15 January 2011, 08:43 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

FPMSL T**T
Old 15 January 2011, 08:47 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cracking result mate, Duncans done his usual sterling work. as for the other mapper well I think I have a hunch lmao Been there done that too lucky my engine didnt let go on my previous car...
Old 15 January 2011, 09:00 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

please pm me the bad mappers name as im having mine done friday and do not want to go down the same rout
Old 15 January 2011, 09:05 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
Well chuffed with & for you Chris - great car you have there if you could just lose that bloody turbo timer pmsl

Gotta love the VF43 turbo
looking for a good one mate keep your eyes open.
Old 15 January 2011, 10:53 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by leecalcars
looking for a good one mate keep your eyes open.
Will do Lee
Old 15 January 2011, 11:35 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Cracking result mate, Duncans done his usual sterling work. as for the other mapper well I think I have a hunch lmao Been there done that too lucky my engine didnt let go on my previous car...
That makes 2 of us lol, Funny thing is me, Duncan and Paul at Zens were just talking about him today pmsl. i see he is still doing his quality mapping.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:04 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought said mapper had move abroad or was it previous owner of sheffield subaru?

Seen very similar too dunno how he managed to do so for so long

Simon
Old 16 January 2011, 10:29 AM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad it's been sorted mate ;-)
But
Cos mappers not been named but rr has it kinda makes me or anyone who reads it think it's prob their in house map guy ?
Up to you but I wouldnt of named rr
Happy cars sorted though budd
Old 16 January 2011, 10:36 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Its the previous owner of sheffield subaru who is moving abroad simon not the SO CALLED mapper,its the same muppet who mapped my car mate beforea bought it,low and behold two independant rolling roads told me the car was running dangerously lean and thats why i had you sort it immediately,thats Four cars i know of that the SO CALLED mapper has had his hands on and all four were mapped poorly and in some cases dangerously.Good job there are mappers like yourself and duncan who know what there doing,hats off to ya both.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:38 AM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

The said mapper is still trading,its paul that ran sheffieldsubaru thats gone abroad simon.

Great results yesterday for chris and another mate berni.
Mus
Scooby Regular

good to hear you got it sorted
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

lol beat me to it glen.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:40 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Originally Posted by addi monster
please pm me the bad mappers name as im having mine done friday and do not want to go down the same rout

Addi dont worry mate i know where your going and its not the same guy matey,you`ll be fine.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:54 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Great result from standard 440cc injectors,what they at 110% dutyglad my headers and uppipe worked well for ya chris,just think what the result would have been if ya had fitted a fuel reg or 550`s like a told ya too.
Old 16 January 2011, 10:56 AM
bern11
Scooby Regular

I was the other guy at Zen today as well,and can't thank Duncan enough more power more midrange,the car really pulls in 3rd and 4th now i'm quite amazed by the difference tbh and Pete (H4RDY) was with me and he said the same and trust me he always bluntly tells you how it is.Last time said it was laggy as foooook lol.

Unfortunately i was another of the unnamed mappers customers originally too and still to this day can't figure out what happened

But again a huge thanks to Duncan for his time and patience and to Paul for the use of his rollers and facilities at ZEN

Bernie
Old 16 January 2011, 11:18 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan
Great result from standard 440cc injectors,what they at 110% dutyglad my headers and uppipe worked well for ya chris,just think what the result would have been if ya had fitted a fuel reg or 550`s like a told ya too.
Not quite 100% but they are 100% maxed out now but not leaning out the mixture and completely det free. Maybe a little to be gained from bigger injectors...
Old 16 January 2011, 11:20 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bern11
I was the other guy at Zen today as well,and can't thank Duncan enough more power more midrange,the car really pulls in 3rd and 4th now i'm quite amazed by the difference tbh and Pete (H4RDY) was with me and he said the same and trust me he always bluntly tells you how it is.Last time said it was laggy as foooook lol.

Unfortunately i was another of the unnamed mappers customers originally too and still to this day can't figure out what happened

But again a huge thanks to Duncan for his time and patience and to Paul for the use of his rollers and facilities at ZEN

Bernie

No problem Bernie - it performed well have you put the dyno graph up ?
Old 16 January 2011, 11:46 AM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
Thought said mapper had move abroad or was it previous owner of sheffield subaru?

Seen very similar too dunno how he managed to do so for so long

Simon
The mapper I'm on about is based near Cumbria.

Btw I was also another person Duncan was working his magic on at Zen's yesterday lol.

Cheers fella.
Old 16 January 2011, 06:32 PM
chris-RB5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx9181
Glad it's been sorted mate ;-)
But
Cos mappers not been named but rr has it kinda makes me or anyone who reads it think it's prob their in house map guy ?
Up to you but I wouldnt of named rr
Happy cars sorted though budd
No he's no connection to noble's whatsoever, there just the nearest rr to me and always spot on.
Old 16 January 2011, 07:06 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
No problem Bernie - it performed well have you put the dyno graph up ?
Yeah come on bern lets have it,would be nice to see the midrange power difference`s against the graph from scoobyclinics rollers,so get that one up aswell matey so we can have a butchers at em side by side.