Sponsored by:

Paintwork

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2011, 09:31 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintwork

Recently purchased a black blobeye with paint chips, scratches and swirl marks. Is it worth trying to correct these, is it expensive, what would be the best procedure for each some are on the plastic as well as the metal?Everyone else's on here looks so damn perfect and I can't imagine everyone before them has cared so lovingly for the car.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:37 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad are the paint chips mate? There are kits but it depends on how bad they are and location?

As for swirls and scratches these can be removed or rectified fairly well. If you can catch a scratch with your nail then chances are it's deep in the clear coat, that said it can be made to look better. To get rid of swirls and scratches you'll need a good polisher, either a DA or rotary. Subaru paint is known for being sticky, very thin and hard to correct. In other words talk to a Pro

All that aside let us know what areas are needing looked at etc, I'll try and guide you as best I can
Old 11 January 2011, 09:57 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
How bad are the paint chips mate? There are kits but it depends on how bad they are and location?

As for swirls and scratches these can be removed or rectified fairly well. If you can catch a scratch with your nail then chances are it's deep in the clear coat, that said it can be made to look better. To get rid of swirls and scratches you'll need a good polisher, either a DA or rotary. Subaru paint is known for being sticky, very thin and hard to correct. In other words talk to a Pro

All that aside let us know what areas are needing looked at etc, I'll try and guide you as best I can
Thanks for that. I'm pretty rubbish and that kind of thing maybe best going to a professional detailer are they expensive - I'm in the SW but could travel and have use of a second vehicle so could leave it. Can they do chips as well? Largest chip is on the roof, looks slightly crazed like someone might have already tried something about the size of a penny and looks like bare metal - can you respray and bleed in or do you need to do whole roof? The scratches don't look deep and apart from the roof the chips aren't big. So how does everyone else on here make their cars look spanking new? It all comes down to cost really and if it's worth it as I have already paid top whack for the car!
Old 11 January 2011, 10:01 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

for small chips there is this stuff called Dr colourchip which I found quite good.
with the scratches see how you get on with some polish if they arent too bad.
Old 11 January 2011, 10:07 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mifo
for small chips there is this stuff called Dr colourchip which I found quite good.
with the scratches see how you get on with some polish if they arent too bad.
Can you use it on something the size of a penny though? It's not all paintless but looks crazed?
Old 11 January 2011, 10:16 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

its mainly for smaller chips it probably wont work on one that size.
Old 11 January 2011, 11:02 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NormantheDog
Thanks for that. I'm pretty rubbish and that kind of thing maybe best going to a professional detailer are they expensive - I'm in the SW but could travel and have use of a second vehicle so could leave it. Can they do chips as well? Largest chip is on the roof, looks slightly crazed like someone might have already tried something about the size of a penny and looks like bare metal - can you respray and bleed in or do you need to do whole roof? The scratches don't look deep and apart from the roof the chips aren't big. So how does everyone else on here make their cars look spanking new? It all comes down to cost really and if it's worth it as I have already paid top whack for the car!
Some detailers will touch in smaller chips, others work with bodyshops to paint and then detail. What I'd say is don't expect miracles from touching in chips. If there are a few you might as well get it blown in. Again, it depends on what you're hoping for?

The penny sized chip could be difficult, where on the roof is it? Panels can be blended depending on size but it takes a trained eye to know. It might be something that can be easily done with a roof re-paint, but it could easily mean glass and seals out too........

To give you an idea I'm getting my front end (Bonnet, Bumper, Wings) plus the roof done for £600. Thats with me stripping everything out so all they have to do is prep and paint. My screen needs to come out so I'll have to pay for that too.

I'd decide on what you want to achieve then get some quotes and come on here and ask for a 2nd opinion. There's a few lads in the trade who'll be better placed to advise.

Trending Topics

Old 11 January 2011, 11:06 PM
NormantheDog
Scooby Regular

Cheers. The roof chip is slightly off centre, nearer to the front and passenger side. I thought it was a bird deposit intially it's that big and crazed. Anyone recommend a detailer or skilled bodyshop around the Devon / Cornwall border?
Old 11 January 2011, 11:10 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NormantheDog
Cheers. The roof chip is slightly off centre, nearer to the front and passenger side. I thought it was a bird deposit intially it's that big and crazed. Anyone recommend a detailer or skilled bodyshop around the Devon / Cornwall border?
Have a gander in here;

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=40246

Detailers normally know the good bodyshops as well, good luck