Notices

Help, done the paintwork in on my car whilst washing it..

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2002, 11:54 AM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Help and advice required please.

I made a dreadful mistake yesterday and after struggling to get the salt and crap off my MY01 using a sponge I used one of these supposedly soft car wash brushes by Hozelock (Brand new)[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

What an idiot, came outside to the car this morning in the sun and holy **** I have never seen such a network of fine scratches on a car. It looks like I have driven the car straight through a hedge

I followed all the instructions , washed the brush out first with lukewarm water and detergent, rinsed the car off, damn it was nearly clean anyway after using the sponge, and now the paintwork looks awful.

Where do I stand with Hozelock and the scratches? I haven't spoken to them yet but will call their customer services department this afternoon.

Whats the best way to get these scratches out ? I am useless with T-Cut so is it best to take the car to a professional valeter or to a bodyshop?

I know I'm an idiot for using a brush in the first place but there you go, it said it was for washing cars and thats what I did. Please don't flame me and give me some advice.

Thanks

Nathan..
Old 04 January 2002, 12:03 PM
Mark.S
Scooby Regular

Give Mark Underwood a bell mate! The Wax Wizard, he'll give you the best advice.
His number is 07966713177.
Hope this helps mate.
Old 04 January 2002, 12:06 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Tut Tut Tut, But hey lets get on with some advice,Try using MER polish you can get it at Halfords and it realy easy to apply and it should remove them fine scatches with ease.Somebody scatched my bonnet which i thought was bad but MER got it out no problem.

Zippy.
Old 04 January 2002, 12:09 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Nathan,

No disrepect to Wax Wizard but its not the cheapest solution, MER will cost you £10.(and it works)
Old 04 January 2002, 12:18 PM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Alright Nathan, gutted for ya mate.

I tend to give it a Jet Wash first to get the grime off and then sponge it. For the scratches I'd go along with Zippy, MER is bloody good stuf, give it a try.

Boultsy
Old 04 January 2002, 01:02 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

T-Cut worked for me, and trust me, the car HAD been along a hedge, got pics to prove it, got rid of the myriad of fine scrathes and some of the bigger ones.
Old 04 January 2002, 04:16 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Wax wizard's wax is expensive but he also does a range of cleansers. These are very cheap and available in various strengths. They work really well on damaged paint. Be carefull with T-Cut which can easily remove all the paint.
Old 04 January 2002, 04:35 PM
john mcfarlane
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

hope you get it sorted when you have have a think about getting a protective coat I bought a my98from a scooby dealer who talked me in to getting the car treated with amazing glaze i was sceptical at first but it is damn good stuff they polish up your car and then treat it it takes a whole day.Result any bird crapp problems and they will pay for the respray no more waxing necessary you dont need to shammy the car dry neither i paid £250 for the inside and out.I have a mate who has a dbm my98 which is a pet and his paintwork is dreadful even after lots of tlc.
Old 04 January 2002, 04:35 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for all the replies.

I have phoned Hozelock who have suggested that I return the brush to them for quality control inspection. So I know where thats going...nowhere, they're bound to say theres nothing wrong with the brush.

I would try using T-Cut or Mer but I'm crap with stuff like that and I've got nowhere to keep the car dry at the moment. I took the car to a respectable car valeters in Eastbourne (used by local main dealer garages). They had a quick go by hand but you could still just see the lines. They have said they will wash the car off and dry indoors then use a lambswool mop and fully polish and wax the car by hand afterwards for £40 + vat.

How does that sound? Expensive or okay ?

Thanks again for the advice.

Nathan..
Old 04 January 2002, 04:39 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Question

John

Where can I get that done. If it saves me having to wax the car ever again I'd be very interested.

Thanks

Nathan..
Old 04 January 2002, 04:56 PM
john mcfarlane
Scooby Regular

I bought the car from barretts subaru in canterbury you could try ringin them Richard Pepper may be able to help you in the mean time I'll have a look in the garage fot the info I have maybe a website.
Old 04 January 2002, 06:42 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Well having still got a good coat of wax on from using my wax wizard all i did was take my car down to the jet wash, gave her a good blast and no scrubbing (except wheels) and presto! all gleaming clean again that stuff is great and yes its expensive but its better than anything ive ever used before, thats for sure!

Tony
Old 04 January 2002, 08:48 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Nathan
I made exactly the same mistake on a metallic paint car 23 years ago - never done it since!

Wax Wizard Cleanse is good for getting scratches like this out.

If you do use TCut, make sure you use the one specially formulated for lacquered metallic finishes, not the one for solid colours.
Old 04 January 2002, 09:38 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

John, was your car given the 'diamond brite' treatment?

i have this done on all my cars - supposed to last upto 5 years if you top it up with their conserver in water, excellent.
Makes the dark paintwork look deeper (wet look)

Rob
Old 05 January 2002, 08:07 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

They call it Polymer coating over here, and it is amazing - my old BG GT-B in DBM still looked like new after 3 years of snow driving, salt, Tokyo polution and attacks by bug hits, tree sap and bird poo.

It got me an extra 1700 pounds on my trade in because it was so nice looking (+ I'd put UV block tint film in and used a bit of Armour All which kept the interior nice).

Highly reccomended
Old 05 January 2002, 08:09 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Forgot - we got an odler car done recently (1998 STI) and it came up beautifully!! The owner is over the moon and I must say it looks stunning

Old 05 January 2002, 11:20 AM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't want to use anything more abrasive than a sponge on the paintwork of a car, or an Auto-Glym checmical cleaner if I really must.

A friend of mine had a J-reg Dark Blue Astra and her Dad had a metallic maroon Cavalier, both had been washed with a hose attachment brush and when the sun was out all you could see were the nice circular patterns made by the brush.

My next door neighbour had exactly the same problem with a Jaguar XJ, made the paintwork look very dull.

Owning a Blue-Black MY01 WRX scratches are a pain, but with the reputation of Subaru paintwork, polishing/T-cut will only get done once a year to prevent further damage to the fragile paintwork on my car.
Old 05 January 2002, 12:41 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nigel

Owning a blue/black WRX I know what you mean - the Zymol cleanse is considerably less abrasive than anything like T-Cut. It is meant to be a pre wax treatment and it will very gently remove light scratches with no hint of discolouration - it is a very impressive product and well worth a try.

Chris
Old 05 January 2002, 01:31 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Chris

Aha - this is out of the closet at last, is it....

It has been bubbling nicely for about a year....

Fot those that didn't know, it will explain a few things
Old 05 January 2002, 01:54 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Red face

Dave/Chris

Read the Zymol page. That doesn't look too good for the Wax Wizard.

Does anyone think that 40 quid is excessive to remove the scratches. Seeing as I am a polishing numpty and this guy is a professional valeter?

Nathan..
Old 05 January 2002, 06:32 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Chris,

Not wanting to take sides in this discussion, but are you sure this is a done case ?

Has something completely changed since these threads ?

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=1611
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=1455
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/Forum1/HTML/003681.html
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=1411

Apart from the legality issues, and that still seems to be developping as we type, is it not fair to say that Mark never ever ripped anyone off on Scoobynet ? That he was always there to give advice, even if you were not a customer ?

I know for a fact that he has developped his own products after this mess started.

Again, you may have information I don't have, but that warning was there since February 2000, was then removed, and put back online again.

Oh, and even if it would in the end turn out that Mark looses this one, I can vouch for the fact that he is a very nice person to meet.

Not meant as a flame towards you, just a bit surprised to see you taking sides in this one.

I must say I've talked with him for hours about this problem, and he was devastated by it.

I may be completely wrong, but I consider him a friend.

Feel free to email me if I missed something big.

Theo
Old 05 January 2002, 07:02 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Can we please not get this one started re WW v Zymol. It has no place on here as this is a complex case with both sides having businesses at risk due to rumours etc. We should leave this to the legal people.

I have a folder set aside in outlook full of emails from the MD of Zymol. Some of the things written in those mails were a bit limited on the full facts shall we say. I am not going to get into this mess again, i have seen copies of Marks trading agreement with Zymol, he was at one point a reseller of their products. He was selling legit products of theirs.

It all got very messy when a dispute began because Zymol wasnt registered in Europe as a trade mark so someone else decide to create a product range using the zymol name in europe. All sides have valid and legal positions.

I am not going to add to this. The courts are where this should be sorted, not scoobynet.
Old 05 January 2002, 07:20 PM
john mcfarlane
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the clarification I have only read the above comments so I was somewhat in the dark and mystified as to what this ongoing problem was all about. I am know enlightened and I hope it sorts itself out.
Old 06 January 2002, 10:02 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Point accepted guys and it's a fair one. Mark never tried to pull over my eyes and I would agree he is nice bloke - I've met him on several occasions and the work he did on my car at the time was very good. All I would say to EB and others - there is a lot more to this than I would publish up here. As JF said this isn't the place for it. However, it is fair to at least advise people so that they can make a decision for themselves.

Chris
Old 07 January 2002, 12:37 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Nathan,

I had a few light scratches on my black/blue WRX. I used Autoglym cutting polish and then waxed with Mer. The scratches have now completely gone. The cutting polish is easy to use but make sure you use a non abrasive cloth for applying and polishing which can be bought from Halfords.
Old 07 January 2002, 01:00 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Red face

WOW all that Zymol stuff is new to me, but won't and hasn't changed my view on Mr. WW, who I have to say, is a thoroughly friendly and a helpful chappy if you have any waxing queries. And his products kick 4r$e. My car looks fantastic all the time. I used to live by Mer, but now Mer is naff and difficult to use in comparison.

Nathan if your car had a coat of WW wax on it then the dirt, salt would of easily sponged off, with no hard work involved.

My dbm car is black at the end of each week, and the dirt practically falls onto the sponge.

Buy it and enjoy the pleasures of a real deep wet gloss finish.

M
Old 01 May 2002, 11:05 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

edited

[Edited by Chris L - 1/6/2002 5:30:07 PM]
Old 01 May 2002, 05:37 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular