Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Autoglym!!! Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2001, 06:11 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do u all think of autoglym? Especially the SUPER RESIN POLISH and the EXTRA GLOSS PROTECTION? Im cosidering using it but im not sure. On the instructions of the Extra gloss it says to use if necessary with the polish, however r there any cutting agents in this polish? I have a MY01 and have not yet protected the paintwork with any wax etc. Subaru paintwork is c**p so what do all use on your cars, that will not scratch or damage it?
Scrappy
Old 08 May 2001, 06:18 PM
Dark Muppet
Scooby Regular

Talking

Give The wax wizard, AKA Mark Underwood a call.
Old 08 May 2001, 06:25 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Gave up using Autoglym products once I'd started using stuff from the Wax Wizard. It's a lot easier to use and produces far better results - plus the Subaru starter kit is reduced cos he sells so many of them through scoobynet!

Alex
Old 08 May 2001, 06:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Nothing wrong with Autoglym, fair price, excellent polish.

Others on here swear by Wax Wizard, I have no experience of it so cannot say either way. I do know it is 'VERY' expensive. Would they like to send me a free 1 polish sample?

IMHO it is like Hi-Fi, pay £x and get a very good Hi-Fi, pay £xxxxxxxxxxx and get a small improvement - I know people who have silver speaker wire and all that stuff. (They can hear a difference - I cant!)

Horses for courses.

Pete
Old 08 May 2001, 06:40 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Also use autoglym, Can't fault it, never tried Wax Wizard so can't pass judgement. Thing to do is try both and then take your pick.
Old 08 May 2001, 06:41 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Pete,

I wouldn't say Wax Wizard is VERY expensive. He does products that compete with Autoglym for price I believe.I bought some 'expensive' wax off him. However you need SO little of it to work better than Autoglym so it probably balances out!

eg Waxwizard WW Classic Polish. A basic but good synthetic resin polish was £3.99 in the March 2000 price list I have, Carnauba wax then moves from £7.99 up to £30, then high-end waxes are around £60.

Autoglym Super resin is around £5 I believe.

Cheers,

Greg

[This message has been edited by gregh (edited 08 May 2001).]
Old 08 May 2001, 06:54 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Been using autoglym for years, excellent results.
Old 08 May 2001, 07:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Why cant I buy Wax Wizard in my local Motor Factors or Halfords??

Just interested?

Surely the manufacturers would market it through these avenues if they could?? Its not business sense to keep it 'Exclusive' when you can sell loads more?

pete
Old 08 May 2001, 07:34 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i used to use autoglym, very good but not as easy as wax wizard- used it for first time at weekend on my wifes fiesta and my my01- very good finish and very easy, no white powder left.

i bought the cleaner wax which wasnt costly and mark even delivered the stuff on his way from london to home!

tiggs

ps- get a waterblade of him and never use a leather again!! best thing i bought this year (apart from car!)
Old 08 May 2001, 08:09 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Always use Autoglym......Brilliant stuff......Like others have never tried Wax Wizard.....Where do we go to try it.
Cheers
Colin.
Old 08 May 2001, 08:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Waterblade????????????? Is that a Wax Wizard posh name for a window cleaners squeegy??

One of those rubber window wiper things in the £1 shop??

Send me a sample of wax Wizard and I will do an unbiased test and report back!

If I think its good and worth the money then EVERYONE should!! see? good marketing ploy!

Pete
Old 08 May 2001, 08:34 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

PSLEWIS...expensive...depends on what arguement your throw up for that. A £35 pot of wax which is enuff product to give 40 complete waxing is less than a £1 per application....hardly expensive. Plus its wipe on and buff..no white residues etc and free of all abrasives.

However if the outlay of £35 is too much on a £20k plus car then more suitable products like Cleanse n Wax..an all in one treatment at £12.99 per 500ml and enuff product to do your car 10 times over at once per month thats 10 months worth of product.

Similarly I have Liquid Carnauba wax at £11.99 per 500ml again easy on and easy buff with zero white residues.

My motto is this: If you buy and are not satisfied with the product for any reason within 14 days of purchase, send it back for either a full refund or a credit against other products.

You will not find my product in Halfords etc etc etc as each wax is hand made as are all my products. Everything is done by hand using only the best and purest products.

For a person who spens £20k or so on a car you appear (with no disrespect) to buy your general commodities from the Pound Saver Shop. A window cleaner squegee...a california water blade is not that, as this kind of tool will almost certainly scratch your delicate paint on the scoob.

Free sample...certainly not as this is a very costly excerise for me. Tell you what..I'll send you a pot of wax and you lend me your car for a weekend. When done we'll swop back again.

[This message has been edited by Mark Underwood (edited 08 May 2001).]
Old 08 May 2001, 09:18 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've been using all of the Autoglym products for years now and swear by them. Especially the Extra Gloss.

Halfords now sell the trade stuff in 5 litre tins now which brings the cost right down.

Wheel cleaner is good as well as not being too harsh.

As for the WW products, I'm sure they are excellent. I just haven't tried them.

Cheers
Kurt
Old 08 May 2001, 09:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

Mark I wasnt trying to be negative about your waxes - far from it, I said that many sing its praises, and that I hadnt used it so couldnt comment.

I do however have an opinion on prices of things - you wouldnt like everyone to not have any opinions other than yours would you??

The £1 shop window wiper quipp was a joke (pity you couldnt see it!)

I still think a sample would be a superb idea for the sceptical on the BBS, however, if a one wax pot is too much then fair enough.

I will repeat that plenty on here think it superb stuff, I will also excersise my right to an opinion of my own (sorry if it upset you as it seems to have!?)

Pete
Old 08 May 2001, 10:10 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Wotcha Pete. You may have annoyed Mark as it's his life and his business. He believes in this stuff, and it's good. I'm converted, as is my father. For me, the lack of residue is second to the deep "wet look" gloss that I get.

Where in the country are you? If you're in the Yorkshire region, you can try my kit. You won't make a dent on the wax supply - it lasts a loooong time. I've had the car a year and a half, and hardly used the stuff despite using every other week...

Nick.
Old 08 May 2001, 10:14 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I've used most of the popular waxes available such as autoglym, merr, turtle wax etc..., and waxwizard......
Although it may seem expensive, one pot of w/wizard lasts for ages, and really does give an exceptional finish.
About 12 months ago, I damaged the paintwork on my then black 911 with *deep* swirl marks - my friend [Imlach] came along with w/wizard and after cleansing & polishing only once the cars paint was virtually back to normal. After further applications - the paintwork had never looked better - now that made me think that £40 or £50 or whatever - that's a bargain. I have used it ever since.....and will probably never use anything else !
Anyway Mark - I wouldnt get wound up with pslewis's comments - he talks so much c*** most of the time that he can never be taken seriously........

Thats my lot on the topic!!

Gastro
Old 08 May 2001, 10:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

You said you would be nice Gastro

Yes, you said, offline, that it sorted your Porsche - took all the marks out brilliant!!

Pete
Old 08 May 2001, 10:22 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I was trying to illustrate how good I found w/wizard to be........Stop being a tighta*** and buy some - then you can polish your SMART car (when you get one).......
Mark - just make sure the w/wizard that you make up for pslewis has the extra rough ground sand additive.....

Gastro
Old 08 May 2001, 10:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

Youve been looking up too many 4rses Gastro my man!

You look at your car - what do you see?? thats right ****

Pete
Old 08 May 2001, 11:14 PM
slimshady
Scooby Regular

Cool

bought the subaru starter kit from mark about one month ago and i have only used it once ; very impressive , no dust (a la autoglym !) and very deep , glossy shine. will not hesitate to buy more , when necessary ; pete i'm like you , very cynical, but it does work and if instructions are followed carefully when using it, then it works out not much more expensive than mer or autoglym and far easier to use.

slim
Old 09 May 2001, 12:04 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Smile

In the not too distant past Autoglym was also one of those products you could not find on a Halfords shelf.
It was also a nightmare regarding the marks it leaves.
Mer was the same.
If you want to buy a wax which seems cheaper regarding initial outlay, why not buy Minute Wax or something similar for a couple of quid.
I use Wax Wizard as its better than any other wax I've used and the Mark is easily approachable. I have also spoken with him to question the benefits of one of his products. The result was him posting on the bbs regarding my concern in case he was subjected to "bbs flame syndrome".

Old 09 May 2001, 12:31 AM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Autoglym PAH.!!. The super resin polish should be called Super Scratch and Polish. If you like swirls marks and an aching arm then buy Autoglym.

WW rocks my world baby. Never have I had a car that shines so deeply, has the individual metallic particles dancing under the sun light in different colours, has no, that’s NO swirl marks, and is a rolling, burbling mirror.!!.

People just stop in there tracks and stare, they can’t believe how damn shiny my Scooby is. Plus, the best part it’s so easy to achieve.

M

PS - Mark U. I received my shampoo today, thanks.
Old 09 May 2001, 07:41 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

This thread may be of interest to you:
Old 09 May 2001, 07:53 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Have used both Autoglym and WW, I think WW gives a better finish but more expensive and more effort. As someone said earlier, horses for courses.

I would also take up on one point made earlier - "Subaru paintwork is c**p" - no it isn't, and i've got a 9 month old DBM car that the paint hasn't fallen off yet.....and that is after a long local stretch of road that I use twice a day being tarred and chipped a week after I bought it (and still has loose chippings on today )

I have to say the two WW products I have bought that are absolutely brilliant are the California water blade, as mentioned earlier, and clay bars. I also remembered reading a post while back that said Halfords were doing clay bars, looked out for them when in Halfords last, and eventually found them on the bargain basement shelf at £3 for a giant bar that will cut up into at least six portions! - bargain, so bought six.....
Old 09 May 2001, 08:22 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Autoglym is good but I've said it before, will say it again, Wax Wizard wipes the floor with it.

£ per application WoW is better value. £ per effort to shine, WoW is a veritable bargain.

It isn't even that expensive to buy in the first place. A starter kit costs around £50 and have EVERYTHING you need for the whole car. Shampoo, cleanse, wax, glass cleaner, multiclean, plastic protector, wheel cleaner, sponge, cloths, etc etc etc etc The same kit with Autoglym would work out about the same, and last a fraction of the time.

PLUS Autoglym resin polish is a polish NOT a wax. Polish gets crap of paintwork and 'polishes' it. Wax coats (cleansed) paintwork and protects it like a teflon coating, lasts longer, gives greater 'beading' etc etc Plus in WoW case, gives a far better shine for longer

The California Water Blade is superb. Dries the entire car in less that 3 minutes - even a BMW estate
Old 09 May 2001, 08:41 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Jesus!

I cannot believe that people are still, after God know how many testimonials and recommendations, that people still query WW!

As Mark states and has stated, people who spend £10-£25K on a Scoob and then sneer when other people spend £20-£50 on cost effective cleaning products is madness!

To draw a comparison, why not buy a Tag McClaren DVD player and use bell wire for the connections to the TV. Excellent judgement. NOT.

PS Lewis,k bite the bullet old boy and purchase and as stated above, if you come over to see me, I will show you!

Mossman
Old 09 May 2001, 09:18 AM
Dave P
Scooby Regular

Angry

Firstly I don't reckon autoglym is all that cheap...

Secondly I have used and still have lashings of Autoglym left. But after all the testimonies on here, I the sceptical one bought the WW starter pack (the same cost as a single tank of fuel)

The difference between the two is amazing...WW is streets aghead. The autoglym is retired to the museum in my garage.

Dave
Old 09 May 2001, 09:38 AM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

Cool

Try Mark's products and you wont use Autoglym again. Unbelievable results, best finish I have seen. SOOoooo easy...
Andyp
Old 09 May 2001, 10:41 AM
JBr
BANNED

Question

i think Pete has a point about the free sample idea - imagine 1 wash and wax worth would prove its worth and makes business sense i would have thought - if a tiny blob goes a long long way as we hear then it would cost 20p to post 20p to pack and £50 profit when it shows its credentials, cant lose.

james
Old 09 May 2001, 11:14 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

yep, I'd be up for that sample idea, lets be honest it's a bit like the king's new suit, no one's going to admit they've wasted their money on WW kit (when they've forked out sixty odd quid) are they? If it's that good the sample idea will create alot more business for WW

glen

Quick Reply: Autoglym!!! Yes or no?