Sponsored by:

Put too much oil in

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2010, 01:26 PM
chung
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put too much oil in

Hi all was checking oil the dipstick was reading low so I crapped it and got some oil. Ive put about 1/2 litre in and then after checking it its gone way past full.

Do you think the car going to ok?
Old 21 December 2010, 01:39 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

welcome to the world of the vari-read dipstick!

They are often all over the stick but between minimum and maximum on the stick is only half a litre so you should be ok.

If you are concerned loosen the sump bung and drain a bit out.

Hope this helps

Ads

Last edited by specialx; 21 December 2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: or does not sound like of!
Old 21 December 2010, 01:51 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

was just about to say the same and post this:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ngine-oil.html

adam have you got me some pics mate? as soon as the redundancy comes im well interested in it
Old 21 December 2010, 01:52 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

is this on a 2.5 by any chance as i heard they have problems when reading oil level.
Old 21 December 2010, 03:02 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

In the past I've used a metal rod in lieu of the dipstick - marking the correct length to suit. Then use that to compare against the markins on the proper dipstick. I find its alot easier to read the level.

Anyhoo; overfilled, get it drained to correct level. Too much oil is bad news; in the worst case scienario, the crank counterweights will dip into the oil - causing lot of oil spray in the crankcase, which causes foaming and aeration of the oil. It'll pressurise the crankcase, and force oil out the breathers, and also allow air to get into the oil pump pickup causing pump cavitation.

Best get it drrained to the correct level.

Remember the target is BETWEEN max and min, the max level is not a target to aim for, you actually aim for somewhere inbetween; above the minimum, but less than maximum. Its not like brimming a fuel tank or washer bottle.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 03:33 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Anyhoo; overfilled, get it drained to correct level. Too much oil is bad news; in the worst case scienario, the crank counterweights will dip into the oil - causing lot of oil spray in the crankcase, which causes foaming and aeration of the oil. It'll pressurise the crankcase, and force oil out the breathers, and also allow air to get into the oil pump pickup causing pump cavitation.
Be interested to hear the proof behind this dipping theory. I understand that in the Subaru engine the crank is so far above the oil level you would need to overfill it more than twice over.

For correct a accurate oil level checking. Take the dip out, wipe it clean and leave out for five minutes. Now re-dip and check. The problem is that the dip picks up a lot of oil from the tube causing the various readings, this method allows that oil to drain back.
Old 21 December 2010, 03:55 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Default oil

shouldnt really drive with to much oil best to be a little short i would drain if to much ,but first try what the other members have said let it stand a while with the dipstick out then recheck.

Trending Topics

Old 21 December 2010, 05:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Be interested to hear the proof behind this dipping theory. I understand that in the Subaru engine the crank is so far above the oil level you would need to overfill it more than twice over.

For correct a accurate oil level checking. Take the dip out, wipe it clean and leave out for five minutes. Now re-dip and check. The problem is that the dip picks up a lot of oil from the tube causing the various readings, this method allows that oil to drain back.

It very a worst case scienario to demonstate that it can be a problem. Seeing the OP didn't say exactly how much oil was already in in there when he dumped in another whole litre, exactly how much its overfilled by is unknown. Even if it appears ok, if the car is parked on steep hill the crank may start dipping into the oil. Either way there is a MAX line there for good reason, otherwise they wouldn't put one on there.

There are cases of boost solonoid hoses becomming blocked with oil, causing overboost; this is sometimes blamed on overfilling.

Anyway its nots a good thing, for example, whilst its not a Subaru, we've just rebuilt a Citroen C4 HDi engine that was wrecked due to being overfilled.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 December 2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 21 December 2010, 05:17 PM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
It very a worst case scienario to demonstate that it can be a problem. Seeing the OP didn't say exactly how much oil was already in in there when he dumped in another whole litre, exactly how much its overfilled by is unknown. Even if it appears ok, if the car is parked on steep hill the crank may start dipping into the oil. Either way there is a MAX line there for good reason, otherwise they wouldn't put one on there.

There are cases of boost solonoid hoses becomming blocked with oil, causing overboost; this is sometimes blamed on overfilling.

Anyway its nots a good thing, for example, whilst its not a Subaru, we've just rebuilt a Citroen C4 HDi engine that was wrecked due to being overfilled.
Apologies, I wasn't saying that overfilling was okay. I agree that it can cause many problems such as those you describe above.

I was just curious about the crank dipping comment. I'm not that 'clued-up' when it comes to these (or any to be honest ) cars but two folk who I do listen to as I think they know what they are talking about, are posts 39 & 41 on this thread https://www.scoobynet.com/843593-new...-please-2.html. They say crank dipping can't really happen on a Subaru crank so wondered where your view came from... Apologies if I gave the impression that overfilling was okay.

Last edited by rossi_p; 21 December 2010 at 05:20 PM.