Sponsored by:

Idiot road users

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2010, 11:32 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Idiot road users

I often go out in the evening for a drive to reflect and the roads are normally quieter. It makes a change from the bus! However my enjoyment is becoming frequently spoiled by 'Mr one speed fits all' you know the type, 45 everywhere, in a 30, 50, 60.........

Then there's 'Mr I'll sit right up your rear' they don't care about conditions, traffic or the fact they are almost blinding you with their lights which are invariably on full beam!

I'm not a perfect driver, far from it but I try to be courteous and respect others.

Rant over
Old 14 December 2010, 11:43 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

I like that 'go for a drive in the evening to reflect' yeah right in a subaru,more like rev the ball's off my motor when the roads are quieter
Know what you mean though,there are so many drivers out there that should be banned.
Old 14 December 2010, 11:46 PM
armzy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prodriverules
Know what you mean though,there are so many drivers out there that should be banned.
+1
Old 14 December 2010, 11:49 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
I often go out in the evening for a drive to reflect and the roads are normally quieter. It makes a change from the bus! However my enjoyment is becoming frequently spoiled by 'Mr one speed fits all' you know the type, 45 everywhere, in a 30, 50, 60.........

Then there's 'Mr I'll sit right up your rear' they don't care about conditions, traffic or the fact they are almost blinding you with their lights which are invariably on full beam!

I'm not a perfect driver, far from it but I try to be courteous and respect others.

Rant over
yep, same here. Just went out for a drive to pick up some munchies from the local garage. Any excuse to get the car out

Coming back, someone doing 40 in the 50 (was a de-restricted a year ago, and is like a roman road, with no junctions or anything), then he did 40 through the 30, and then was doing 40 when it got back to a 50 limit again :s

Earlier on today, I was in the outside lane overtaking someone (again in a 50 limit), doing about 52/53 and some fruit cake came up behind me as if i was standing still. Think I ended up doing about 15 mph in the outside lane just to make a point.

Not sure if it is me or what, but the average age of gimp drivers seems to be ever increasing. Had some real road rage from a 50yr+ driver a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was ok to move from lane 1, through and into lane 2, then back to lane 1 on a two lane entry, two lane exit roundabout, when I was on his outside.

... and then I could go on about why the indicators never seem to work on cars on roundabouts....

and breathe...

Richie.
Old 14 December 2010, 11:55 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriverules
I like that 'go for a drive in the evening to reflect' yeah right in a subaru,more like rev the ball's off my motor when the roads are quieter
LOL, my mates call me grandad such is the general speed of my driving in comparison to theirs. I think what foxes them is I tend to have a lower observable speed, i.e I don't appear to rag it, but a higher mean speed as I'm more likely to read the limit points on corners better etc. I found that my speed in between corners and hazards used to be high, but comparatively slow on the bends. After taking the IAM course it evened out and became much safer, but quicker overall.

Originally Posted by ramdor
yep, same here. Just went out for a drive to pick up some munchies from the local garage. Any excuse to get the car out

Coming back, someone doing 40 in the 50 (was a de-restricted a year ago, and is like a roman road, with no junctions or anything), then he did 40 through the 30, and then was doing 40 when it got back to a 50 limit again :s

Earlier on today, I was in the outside lane overtaking someone (again in a 50 limit), doing about 52/53 and some fruit cake came up behind me as if i was standing still. Think I ended up doing about 15 mph in the outside lane just to make a point.

Not sure if it is me or what, but the average age of gimp drivers seems to be ever increasing. Had some real road rage from a 50yr+ driver a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was ok to move from lane 1, through and into lane 2, then back to lane 1 on a two lane entry, two lane exit roundabout, when I was on his outside.

... and then I could go on about why the indicators never seem to work on cars on roundabouts....

and breathe...

Richie.
The amount of people who cross lanes on a roundabout nowadays is unreal, especially those who always cross to the left to exit, normally without a mirror check...........
Old 15 December 2010, 12:41 AM
DannyM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ramdor
i had the same thing today! however, i didn't fancy being blatantly obvious about it by slowing down. so anyway,
a chicken paxo loaded up with 4 lads came tearing up behind me despite the fact i'm doing the limit and overtaking people in "slow" lane and there is nowhere for me to go. inside lane is packed with elephants and outside lane is full.

after flashing his lights and giving me a tootle of his horn(oh boy, did he love that! high fives all round from his mates) i had a moment of lapsed vision from his poorly fitted aftermarket xenon's and my car unfortunately ran on the white line next to the central reservation which had the terrible consequence of flicking stones at the front of his car.

oddly enough he backed off then.
Old 15 December 2010, 01:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd

Rant over
I have a solution for "Mr 45 in a 60 zone"

Right pedal, byeeeeeeeeeeee

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2010, 01:44 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Normal people reflect into a pint glass where the only slow person is the barmaid
Old 15 December 2010, 04:03 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

I think the general standard of driving is dropping. Not saying we are all perfect drivers but the amount of people i see not paying attention these days is crazy
For instance,not far from me is a busy roundabout that joins the M4 and has 4 other roads off it. Coming off a Dual Carrigeway to the roundabout it breaks in to 3 lanes. Now there is a 14 foot sign about 200 yards from the roundabout saying which lane to use. I would say that 90% of drivers use the wrong laneThen have the cheek to blow the horn at you for using the correct lane because it's where they want to be
Old 15 December 2010, 04:28 PM
ratboy
Scooby Regular

I have a driving job and do many,many miles per week.
The standard of driving out there is truelly shocking....i cant believe some of these people havent had there licences taken away.
Last week on the M3 motorway there was a driver ahead and the car was all over the place,going from its 1st lane into the 2nd(making drivers brake) and back into the hard shoulder.
I thought,drunk driver....better clear this person.
Infact as i overtook,she was a very old lady,so short her vision was,that she was looking through the top of the steering wheel and she looked scared to death.
Im gonna get murdered on here for saying this...but.....from someone that does a hell of a lot of miles,everytime a see a stupid manouver i think old or female,i pass them,look in and 19 times out of 20 it is.
Not being sexist/oldist,just a fact that i see everyday.
Have had 3 girlfriends that were car nuts and good drivers,but they all said,in general,female drivers are crap,as are the old folk.

Last edited by ratboy; 15 December 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 15 December 2010, 05:06 PM
xdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyM
i had the same thing today! however, i didn't fancy being blatantly obvious about it by slowing down. so anyway,
a chicken paxo loaded up with 4 lads came tearing up behind me despite the fact i'm doing the limit and overtaking people in "slow" lane and there is nowhere for me to go. inside lane is packed with elephants and outside lane is full.

after flashing his lights and giving me a tootle of his horn(oh boy, did he love that! high fives all round from his mates) i had a moment of lapsed vision from his poorly fitted aftermarket xenon's and my car unfortunately ran on the white line next to the central reservation which had the terrible consequence of flicking stones at the front of his car.

oddly enough he backed off then.
i often acidently drift over that white line in my petrol tanker and get the same results as you !!
Old 15 December 2010, 05:24 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Followed a gentleman on my way to work yesterday that was Mr 40mph, then when I overtook him, on a long straight in a national speed limit, he flashed his lights at me. Why?
Old 15 December 2010, 05:44 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ratboy
in general,female drivers are crap,as are the old folk.
+1
Old 15 December 2010, 05:51 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Arthur
Followed a gentleman on my way to work yesterday that was Mr 40mph, then when I overtook him, on a long straight in a national speed limit, he flashed his lights at me. Why?
I had the same happen to me but the little sh.. put his lights on full and left them there ,he was driving a knackered out pug so i put it down to him been bitter.At least he was when i stopped he overtook then i stuck the sti light beams through his back window he turned of at the next exit
Old 15 December 2010, 05:56 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh boy, where do I start

As said none of us are perfect drivers but some of the moves I see are just totally unbelievable!!

I agree with the above statement about old or female as 99% of the time this is true.

Tailgaters are my personal pet hate, and its usually some tw@t in either a BM or an Audi and in dodgy road conditions.......
And the peson who barrels past you over the speed limit on a motorway only to slow down meaning you have to then overtake them only for them to come barreling past, again, then slow down.........

Only yesterday, on 3 occasions, I had to brake quite sharply to let some nonces through, even though I had right of way (cars parked on their side of the road) and all three where on thier mobiles .....
Old 15 December 2010, 08:56 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blu-scoob
Oh boy, where do I start

As said none of us are perfect drivers but some of the moves I see are just totally unbelievable!!

I agree with the above statement about old or female as 99% of the time this is true.

Tailgaters are my personal pet hate, and its usually some tw@t in either a BM or an Audi and in dodgy road conditions.......
And the peson who barrels past you over the speed limit on a motorway only to slow down meaning you have to then overtake them only for them to come barreling past, again, then slow down.........

Only yesterday, on 3 occasions, I had to brake quite sharply to let some nonces through, even though I had right of way (cars parked on their side of the road) and all three where on thier mobiles .....
Tell me where in the Highway Code it states that you have right of way when traffic is parked on the side of approaching traffic. I think you will find it's only down to common curtesy, but as you have alluded, there's not a lot of that on the roads today.

Last edited by mrmadcap; 15 December 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 15 December 2010, 09:02 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

i had a treck down to exmouth sunday, on the 303 where it goes from single lane to a double one i was behind two cars, the front one holding us up, coming to the double lane i started to indicate and the guy infront was staying there.................until im nearly up beside him then he desides to go for it not even indicating or looking!! i had to brake like mad..

on the way home (late afternoon) same road but they were quite empty, double lane overtaking slow "roger" he flashes his lights? im only doing the speed limit????
Old 15 December 2010, 09:03 PM
stann01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
. I think you will find it's only down to common curtesy, but as you have alluded, there's not a lot of that on the roads today.
GOT THAT RIGHT
Old 15 December 2010, 11:54 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Tell me where in the Highway Code it states that you have right of way when traffic is parked on the side of approaching traffic. I think you will find it's only down to common curtesy, but as you have alluded, there's not a lot of that on the roads today.
rule 163. give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
Old 16 December 2010, 12:07 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

would have to increase the stringency of the driving test. who's going to be in favour of that?? whichever generatioonyou start with they'd complain.

re-test every youngster at the end of their two year probation (should have to display plates showing they're on probation period) if they fail, another year probation.

re-test all drivers at regular intervals, every 5 years? 10? fail, back on probation....

more regular tests as age increases

increase policing on roads (more traffic cops??)

none of it sounds particularly appealing really.......

using common sense would go a long way with a lot of drivers on the road

Last edited by beef-on-the-bone; 16 December 2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 16 December 2010, 01:16 AM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

I've been driving since 1980 and the main thing I see is courtesy on the roads diminishing and drivers generally having a lack of understanding of the rules of the road.

Leave a hairs breadth between you and the vehicle in front and someone fills the gap, even in the recent poor road conditions.

People driving about with no lights, using sidelights after dark, using fog lights in the wrong conditions etc.

Pathetic lane control be it, the inability to keep the car in just the one lane, driving down the middle lane on the motorway, causing vehicles to go from lane 1 to lane 3 to get past them or the drivers who seem to drive around without any clue as to which lane they need to be in.

Use of hand held mobile phones, well it has been illegal for a few years now.

Females applying makeup whilst driving, men using electric razors whilst driving.

I take pride in my driving, reading the road and driving to the prevailing conditions, we all make mistakes at times but some drivers possibly would be better off taking a taxi or using public transport.

I see cars with clear faults, lights not working etc. but non traffic police seems to ignore them, I assume that lots of form filling is involved if they give a car a pull?

No wonder insurance premiums are sky rocketing.

In some ways I favour retesting in certain circumstances also possibly at set periods, certainly after a diver is prosecuted for a poor driving offence, but I'm not sure some drivers hold UK licenses or have passed driving tests in the first place.

Anyone done the Advanced Driving Test? Did you feel you benefited from the additional instruction?

End of rant

Dave
Old 16 December 2010, 07:28 AM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

no matter what you all say...driving in UK is a pleasure and very easy for the daily driver.
You only have a handful of "bad" drivers to deal with.

Please, next time you come to Greece for your vacations, drive all the way to here and then let me know what you think about THIS experience.

And when I say that you will have to learn to drive from scratch, I mean it and it's absolutely true!

As for me, I try to be a respectful driver but there are times that I just can't help to be a moron!
Old 16 December 2010, 07:39 AM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

was just admiring your car lol
Old 16 December 2010, 07:58 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

As someone heading for older you can all **** off !

I find that the worst drivers on my patch are of differing ethnicity, sorry but taxis, buses, and shabby people carriers are virtually random in motion. !

Advanced driving techniques ( minibus here ) just leave you carved up by a **** in an ancient Golf GTI.

dunx

P.S. Proper "oldies" are often a joke, as are the druggies in their Astras.
Old 17 December 2010, 04:28 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I have a solution for "Mr 45 in a 60 zone"

Right pedal, byeeeeeeeeeeee
Not if they're in front and you can't overtake, otherwise top suggestion

Originally Posted by L.J.F
Normal people reflect into a pint glass where the only slow person is the barmaid
Indeed, sadly I've got liver disease
Old 17 December 2010, 04:30 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Because he's been driving longer than you sunny jim and is the worlds best driver. It's also his job to police the roads......
Old 17 December 2010, 04:38 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I thought I had seen it all until last week!

I saw an old dear 70+ going the wrong way around a round about she panicked and just sat in her car with her hands on her head untill some one got her out of the car and moved it!! truly shocking!!

Sign of the times though there must of been 10+ people filming it on their phones!!!

Ads
Old 17 December 2010, 04:42 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsemuk
Anyone done the Advanced Driving Test? Did you feel you benefited from the additional instruction?

End of rant

Dave
I have and it has greatly improved my awareness. It took me around 7 months of weekly / fortnightly observed runs to get through. That said I had lots of time off for health reasons. The chap who tested me was a class 1 Police driver. He's now recently retired I believe, and is a force driving instructor.

It is a nerve racking 60-90 mins but well worth it. The things he picked up on during my test was amazing. The test is not easy but if you apply the system of car control and do what you've been taught you'll get through. Oh and Mr Mansell signs your certificate

My mates all took the mickey, but when they've been alone and asked me what it involves and I've given a 10-15 minute commentary drive they appreciate it's a useful skill to have. There's also a specialist insurance scheme, they're not keen on Scoobies though. I still got £80 off from Admiral though.

It's only a start though, lots more you can do. If anyone wants more info feel free to PM as it's not everyones cup of tea, especially on a performance car forum

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 17 December 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 17 December 2010, 06:03 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Where did you get your licence Kellogg's?? there's more to driving these day's than just dodge the dinosaur!