worth £500?? break or repair??

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2010, 07:36 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default worth £500?? break or repair??

hi all can i have a little advice plz??
is this worth £500?? GT legacy twin turbo manual, 1995, 90k, twin sunroof model, mushroom filter & exhaust, lots of service. theres 1 problem,, possible headgasket failure
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04 December 2010, 07:50 PM
Jimmy (mines a pint)
Scooby Regular

I'd repair it mate, ive been in the GT-B model and the twin turbo set up aint for me. Nice car though, felt as if it didnt want to stop pulling topend wise.
Old 04 December 2010, 09:44 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Jimmy (mines a pint)
I'd repair it mate, ive been in the GT-B model and the twin turbo set up aint for me. Nice car though, felt as if it didnt want to stop pulling topend wise.
i was thinking repair and sell? or break and keep the engine for an impreza project?

the engine would meet up with an impreza box would it not? or would it be easier to/better to put the legacy box in?
any been done before?

thanks
Old 05 December 2010, 07:43 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to be worth doing up and selling on imho.If you decide to break it your gonna get £200 for the alloys alone.AFAIK the engine should mate to the impreza box,and once up and running these are a very underated car,260 bhp std with the only downside being the bit of lag at 4500rpm as the 2nd turbo kicks in.
Old 05 December 2010, 12:27 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

they are essentially WRX engines so will match up to impreza gearboxes. The GT-Bs are stronger like the STi engines with forged pistons etc so would be a better engine to use as a project.

The GTs are 256bhp in manual form, less for the autos. GT-Bs are 276bhp and less for the autos again.
Old 05 December 2010, 05:25 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

worth it all day long looking forward to the challenge of us putting it in an impreza now!!
Old 05 December 2010, 07:42 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by arumdevil
they are essentially WRX engines so will match up to impreza gearboxes. The GT-Bs are stronger like the STi engines with forged pistons etc so would be a better engine to use as a project.

The GTs are 256bhp in manual form, less for the autos. GT-Bs are 276bhp and less for the autos again.
thanks for the imput matey, ive posted over on uklegacy's to see what interest i get from the lads on there?

should be fun if i can get the twin turbo in a impreza and get simtec running it
Old 05 December 2010, 07:45 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zippy!
worth it all day long looking forward to the challenge of us putting it in an impreza now!!
i'll teach you how to get dirt under ya finger nails mate dont worry
Old 05 December 2010, 08:00 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

hold your horses!

The ECUs on these are not mappable. If you want to know what options there are have a search over on UKL and even ask over there, but I'll save you the hassle and tell you now that basically it can't be done at the moment. Simtek doesn't have the ability to control the twin turbo systems on these (Bob rawle has said they're working on it but that's been dragging on for years). Bob can remap the later ones but that's from 1998 onwards, the BH series, these earlier BG ones can't be remapped.

So, either put it in and live with it as is (in which case you'd be better off with an engine from a GT-B, as they're a bit more powerful from the off, have forged pistons etc They can be got up to about 300bhp and that's about it), or the other option is don't bother, to put it bluntly.

Also there's no point in converting the turbos to run in parallel before you think about that, as you end up with no boost below 4,500rpm and you still can't get much more out of them.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just informing you of the facts before you get stuck in. many have tried to overcome this and most who want big power end up converting to single turbo setup a-la the imprezas.

Incidentally I have an engine from a GT-B going spare, needs head gaskets doing. Make me an offer if your interested, but that's by the by.
Old 05 December 2010, 08:11 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

hold your horses!

The ECUs on these are not mappable. If you want to know what options there are have a search over on UKL and even ask over there, but I'll save you the hassle and tell you now that basically it can't be done at the moment. Simtek doesn't have the ability to control the twin turbo systems on these (Bob rawle has said they're working on it but that's been dragging on for years). Bob can remap the later ones but that's from 1998 onwards, the BH series, these earlier BG ones can't be remapped.

So, either put it in and live with it as is (in which case you'd be better off with an engine from a GT-B, as they're a bit more powerful from the off, have forged pistons etc They can be got up to about 300bhp and that's about it), or the other option is don't bother, to put it bluntly.

Also there's no point in converting the turbos to run in parallel before you think about that, as you end up with no boost below 4,500rpm and you still can't get much more out of them.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, just informing you of the facts before you get stuck in. many have tried to overcome this and most who want big power end up converting to single turbo setup a-la the imprezas.

Incidentally I have an engine from a GT-B going spare, needs head gaskets doing. Make me an offer if your interested, but that's by the by.
i'd rather the bluntness mate no point ***** footing around.
so basically there is no stand-alone managment that will run it? i thought a twin turbo would be fun in an impreza
ive also read about the vod too, can this be got rid of in the early models?
Old 05 December 2010, 08:18 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

when Bob remaps the later ones I've heard the VOD is transformed and is basically not noticeable, but it has other characteristics that will remain (eg if you down shift and the revs fall within the VOD you get stupid turbo lag, you learn to drive around it).

For the earlier models, a refurbbed solenoid box (instead of one boost solenoid these have a little box with about 5 or 6, loads of vac lines. ****ing nightmare to diagnose issuse on!!!) can help to minimise effect of VOD but it won't eliminate it completely.

I think there may be one or two systems that can do it but can't remember off the top of my head. Have a search on UKL for remap there should be a few threads with some info.

It's a good little project so long as you are aware of it's shortcomings before you decide to take the plunge.
Old 05 December 2010, 08:36 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

when Bob remaps the later ones I've heard the VOD is transformed and is basically not noticeable, but it has other characteristics that will remain (eg if you down shift and the revs fall within the VOD you get stupid turbo lag, you learn to drive around it).

For the earlier models, a refurbbed solenoid box (instead of one boost solenoid these have a little box with about 5 or 6, loads of vac lines. ****ing nightmare to diagnose issuse on!!!) can help to minimise effect of VOD but it won't eliminate it completely.

I think there may be one or two systems that can do it but can't remember off the top of my head. Have a search on UKL for remap there should be a few threads with some info.

It's a good little project so long as you are aware of it's shortcomings before you decide to take the plunge.
its something ive always fancied, should have a load of torque though

i think this 1 may have had the vod refurb done? it has summat with loads of blue vac pipes out of it. also has a cat bk exhaust.
do these have the cats in the downpipes?
Old 05 December 2010, 08:45 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

yes they have a cat in one of the downpipes (primary side=passengers side) to help with low rev emissions. Other downpipe is catless.

if that box with all the blue vac hose going to it has blue hose inside as well then it's probably refurbed. Has all the vac hose been replaced with blue?

Peak torque on the GT-Bs is around 250lb/ft, the GT is probably a little less. That's not until around 5,000rpm standard, but with a refurbed box and another little mod you can do you can have that coming in by about 3,000rpm, then dip for VOD, then peak torque again until redline which is 7,000 on the GT 7,500 on GT-B.

Last edited by arumdevil; 05 December 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05 December 2010, 08:50 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

yes they have a cat in one of the downpipes (primary side=passengers side) to help with low rev emissions. Other downpipe is catless.

if that box with all the blue vac hose going to it has blue hose inside as well then it's probably refurbed. Has all the vac hose been replaced with blue?

Peak torque on the GT-Bs is around 250lb/ft, the GT is probably a little less. That's not until around 5,000rpm standard, but with a refurbed box and another little mod you can do you can have that coming in by about 3,000rpm, then dip for VOD, then peak torque again until redline which is 7,000 on the GT 7,500 on GT-B.
thanks matey i appreciate ya time is it possible to have decat downpipes? there is no other blue hoses apart from the blue vac hose's that come from were the 3 port boost solinoid is on the impreza's (driver strut top)

also whats the torque from the impreza? just to compare? also pm me a rough price of the gt-b lump and we'll go from there? i could be interested depending what i make from this?

thanks again
Old 05 December 2010, 08:53 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

no idea on impreza torque to be honest .I'd imagine it's about the same but comes in quite late IIRC (around 4,000?).
Old 05 December 2010, 09:16 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

no idea on impreza torque to be honest .I'd imagine it's about the same but comes in quite late IIRC (around 4,000?).
1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi:
Maximum torque 363.0 Nm (268 ft·lb) (37 kgm)
@ 3200 rpm

1995 Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA STi Version II:
Maximum torque 319.0 Nm (235 ft·lb) (32.5 kgm)
@ 4000 rpm

1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Version II:
@ 4000 rpm

all power 276bhp as the GT-B
Old 05 December 2010, 09:26 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi:
Maximum torque 363.0 Nm (268 ft·lb) (37 kgm)
@ 3200 rpm

1995 Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA STi Version II:
@ 4000 rpm

1995 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Version II:
@ 4000 rpm

all power 276bhp as the GT-B
topman! so the extra turbo give around 15 on the torque side plus with a few mods could be interesting
Old 05 December 2010, 09:46 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

it's totally different power delivery to be honest. I've not actually driven an impreza but I get the impression they really need to be revved quite a lot to get them going. As standard, you do have to keep the revs above 5,000RPM to get the most out of the GT-B but there is still plenty of usable torque from 2,000rpm up, which makes them very drivable and nippy at lower speeds too. With a few mods you can have all the torque from low revs which just makes that even better.

It's an interesting system. At lower revs the exhaust gasses from both banks of cylinders feed the one (primary) turbo on the passenger's side. Above about 4,000 the small turbo cannot make enough boost to keep the power up, so the system brings the second turbo in (this is when you noticed the "Valley Of Death" as there is a slight pause while the secondary turbo matches the pressure of the first) and is then feeding one turbo from each side of the engine (gasses from two cylinders for each turbo).

At lower revs, two cylinders is not enough to create usable boost on one turbo hence why it uses only one running off all 4 cylinders at lower revs and then switches to two to keep the pressure up.
Old 05 December 2010, 10:10 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

it's totally different power delivery to be honest. I've not actually driven an impreza but I get the impression they really need to be revved quite a lot to get them going. As standard, you do have to keep the revs above 5,000RPM to get the most out of the GT-B but there is still plenty of usable torque from 2,000rpm up, which makes them very drivable and nippy at lower speeds too. With a few mods you can have all the torque from low revs which just makes that even better.

It's an interesting system. At lower revs the exhaust gasses from both banks of cylinders feed the one (primary) turbo on the passenger's side. Above about 4,000 the small turbo cannot make enough boost to keep the power up, so the system brings the second turbo in (this is when you noticed the "Valley Of Death" as there is a slight pause while the secondary turbo matches the pressure of the first) and is then feeding one turbo from each side of the engine (gasses from two cylinders for each turbo).

At lower revs, two cylinders is not enough to create usable boost on one turbo hence why it uses only one running off all 4 cylinders at lower revs and then switches to two to keep the pressure up.
quite a set up then, im hoping i can make a nice machine from it all? gonna take some digging through and alot of reading
Old 05 December 2010, 10:56 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

Certainly doable and will be an interesting project. What are you going to put it in?

It'll be interesting to see how it performs in a lighter shell. the GT-B weighs in at 1485kg or so and it manages 0-60 in 5.7 seconds.
Old 12 December 2010, 01:39 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Arum/Rapid - pretty sure there was a bloke on UKL in the states that put a TT engine successfully into an impreza wagon.
IIRC he painted it matt black and it looked quite cool.

Afraid I can't recall his name/id though sorry - would have to search on there but he might be a good source of info for this.