Sponsored by:

Paranoid over my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2010, 11:50 AM
Carkillerz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paranoid over my engine?

2 days after i bought my impreza a good friend off mine went and bought a 1993 wagon. He didnt tell me he was of to look at one he just went and got it. With in an hour off buying it he was at my house with it panicking as it wouldnt Rev past 4500 revs.

So i got out of bed went outside and re connected his speedo. Car is ok it does need some love but he will make it a nice car.
Then yesterday i bobbed down too see him and the dreaded has happened the bottom end is knocking....( 3 days after hes paid 1500 for it)

Now he is a good mate and will do anything for any one. And by luck we have a engine but it also rattles so that one is going to get rebuilt then switched for his.

Iv rung around for parts as in new timing belt oil pump water pump head gaskit kit complete set off ACL bearings etc and found Technix too be cheapest so im off at some point today to collect then ill have to get heads off and drop them down to be pressure tested and skimmed. Some how its fallen on me to rebuild this engine.

I was paranoid about my engine ratterling before BUT now im really paranoid My car has just been serviced it is used alot but not thrashed. It has a turbo timer fitted that runs for 1 minute (is that enough?) and its warmed up before going any where. Its mapped for V power and thats all its run on.

Is there anything else i can do or will it just happen if its going too??
Old 26 November 2010, 12:19 PM
spender(again)
Scooby Regular

Warm it up, cool it down, service it, look after it, change the oil regularly (and using the correct procedure) and don't thrash it.......and change your username
Old 26 November 2010, 12:21 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If a garage services it, make sure they pre-fill the filter and spin engine on the starter with the crank sensor disconnected to establish pressure, before firing up (I would be amazed if they actually did that!)
Always use a top quality oil of the right grade.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 26 November 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 26 November 2010, 01:57 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carkillerz
2 days after i bought my impreza a good friend off mine went and bought a 1993 wagon. He didnt tell me he was of to look at one he just went and got it. With in an hour off buying it he was at my house with it panicking as it wouldnt Rev past 4500 revs.

So i got out of bed went outside and re connected his speedo. Car is ok it does need some love but he will make it a nice car.
Then yesterday i bobbed down too see him and the dreaded has happened the bottom end is knocking....( 3 days after hes paid 1500 for it)

Now he is a good mate and will do anything for any one. And by luck we have a engine but it also rattles so that one is going to get rebuilt then switched for his.

Iv rung around for parts as in new timing belt oil pump water pump head gaskit kit complete set off ACL bearings etc and found Technix too be cheapest so im off at some point today to collect then ill have to get heads off and drop them down to be pressure tested and skimmed. Some how its fallen on me to rebuild this engine.

I was paranoid about my engine ratterling before BUT now im really paranoid My car has just been serviced it is used alot but not thrashed. It has a turbo timer fitted that runs for 1 minute (is that enough?) and its warmed up before going any where. Its mapped for V power and thats all its run on.

Is there anything else i can do or will it just happen if its going too??
Basically mate, if it's gonna go it's gonna go. You can prolong it by regular servicing and a liitle mechanical sympathy. What you cannot do is reverse any wear/damage caused by lack of servicing or abuse in the past.

You sound as if you know your way around under the bonnet which is a good start and will enable you to do most of the maintainance procedures youself, hence making sure the work is done to your own specifications and standards.

SNet is a good sounding board for any work you may undertake or mods you may want to make. I always have a good search on here or post up my intentions before i start just to see the pros' and cons'.

Your mate was a little unlucky and imho should of taken you with him. Wheather you know Imprezas' per se or just motors in general, 2 pairs of eyes/ears/hands are always better than 1.
Old 26 November 2010, 02:04 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

£1500 on a 17 year old performance car and now the engine has gone? Hardly surprising is it? So now he is going to have to spend another £1500 at least putting it right.
Buy cheap = buy twice.

As above, if you look after your car and treat it with respect, it will easily see you up and above 100k. However, if you buy a turd......it will always be a turd!
Old 26 November 2010, 04:17 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

It's a good plan to take someone with you when buying a car, as they won't be buying it themselves, therefore they aren't subject to blinding lust, which often overcomes we chaps when looking at cars, and can be more subjective.

Come to think of it, maybe that's also a good idea when choosing a female?
Old 26 November 2010, 04:31 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
It's a good plan to take someone with you when buying a car, as they won't be buying it themselves, therefore they aren't subject to blinding lust, which often overcomes we chaps when looking at cars, and can be more subjective.

and also dont buy the car in the dark like i did ! 12 months and 2000 pounds later lol !
Old 26 November 2010, 05:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Just make sure he'a an ugly bastrd.
Old 26 November 2010, 07:03 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

here here ! lmao
Old 26 November 2010, 07:04 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Just make sure he'a an ugly bastrd.
Good point!!! Now where has my GF and mate gone. I can hearing a banging noise upstairs.... Oh wait. Ah. He's hammering something.