Sponsored by:

looks like the end of driving cars for a year

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2010, 11:37 AM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looks like the end of driving cars for a year

alright guys im struggling to get decent insurance for my99 uk turbo as cant get hold of gary moulsen, a plan was just to expensive an the cheapest ive had is from money supermarket at 1300. im 25 with 5 year license an 4 yr ncb with no points so im not paying that so im looking to buy a bike now. possibly a suzuki gsxr600 or a yamy r6. i got an insurance quote on them an its 146 a year. what a difference. disgusting how car insurance has went up. dont see how i should be footing the bill for other peoples claims etc. this country is f****d!! lol
Old 20 November 2010, 12:18 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Lifesure insurance are worth a try, much cheaper the A plan and Keith M.
Old 20 November 2010, 12:20 PM
kz-scoob
Scooby Regular

I'm about to pay £1,337.88 for my first Subaru.

Just think, could be worse, sold my Punto GT Turbo to a 19 year old yesterday and he's paying £3,500 to insure it
Old 20 November 2010, 12:22 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

That's a shame dude, unfortunately we're all pretty much in the same boat other than old farts like myself have the price going up from a lower start point. I can see the appeal of the bikes, I've been there myself a number of years ago. Trouble was all the girls wanted to curl up on the rear seats of my mates cars and it was a real sh!tter ice skating with my Yam RD400 two stroke lol, with its narrow power band intent on adding a little spice to the ride.

Tim
Old 20 November 2010, 12:32 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

yea mate my first bike was a rd125 lc. i had worse adrenalin rush off that than when i had my r1 few year ago. i will try that lifesure as above. cheers stig. my dad has a jdm wrx 96 and he got renewal at 2k an he 45. a plan gie it to him for 750 considering he get a cat 1 alarm. ridiculous now. i just dont know what step to take
Old 20 November 2010, 12:43 PM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Yeah,

Only draw back with the imprezas is the insurance

I Remember when i was 18 got quoted 8k for insurance

Bit older now lol Just renewed my existing policy (Impreza wrx) With tesco now £550 a year (Admiral still wanted well over a grand).

Admiral or Tesco have always been the cheapest for me.

I also went down the bike route for cost reasons but soon found myself back behind the wheel of a scoob.
Old 20 November 2010, 12:44 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

not being funny but where do you live if your dad is paying that much, thats 4 times what im paying for a Bugeye sti and im a far bit younger lol
Old 20 November 2010, 12:54 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

merseyside mate but the quiet side of it. they just took the pi55 with renewals as insurance companies do. me dad did givethem loads down the phone like. i may bite the bullet an pay what asda offer but not sure yet. i tried tesco on net an couldnt give me a quote. mmmm decisions
Old 20 November 2010, 12:59 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Insurance seems to change as and when it feels like. Changes week to week ive found. Was watching a programme the other day where a woman got a genuine quote for £94.000 to insure her 17yr old daughter on a 1.0 Fiesta I dont condone it in any way but you can see why people drive with no insurance.
Old 20 November 2010, 01:08 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

yep mate people dont wanna pay stupid prices so take the chance. that was on watchdog i think. it stpuid to even offer big prices like there gonna agree to pay. im lucky my work isnt to far
Old 20 November 2010, 04:43 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
yep mate people dont wanna pay stupid prices so take the chance. that was on watchdog i think. it stpuid to even offer big prices like there gonna agree to pay. im lucky my work isnt to far

postcodes mate liverpool manchester areas are bad im 45 my insurance gary moulson 750 for a bugeye im letting mine go if it goes up more next year should be a lot cheaper at my age not dearer
Old 20 November 2010, 05:03 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

if i get insured next few days then i cant see myself insurance next year as this country is just getting more expensive. also because of this i will struggle to sell in future
Old 20 November 2010, 05:11 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by seddomyster
if i get insured next few days then i cant see myself insurance next year as this country is just getting more expensive. also because of this i will struggle to sell in future
i know expecting a big loss when i sell mine but goin gonna buy a mondeo tittanium very cheap and have it remapped
Old 20 November 2010, 06:15 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

It's all well and good moaning about insurers putting the costs up, but you need to look at the reason the prices are going up.... dodgy personal injury claims.

That is pretty much the only reason prices are going up.

All they time the insurers are loosing so much money they'll carry on increasing prices unfortunately.
Old 20 November 2010, 06:27 PM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

^^ you bet me too it chap.

''Ever had a trip or fall?'' Call for a no fee quote & you get to keep all the money........ seriously are people fooking stupid? Well they are, who do you think pays for all the claims?

Every single person in the country.

My house & car insurance has jumped up over £100 each, point blank told them i wasnt paying it & get it dropped which they did.
Old 20 November 2010, 09:01 PM
P4UL
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kz-scoob
I'm about to pay £1,337.88 for my first Subaru.

Just think, could be worse, sold my Punto GT Turbo to a 19 year old yesterday and he's paying £3,500 to insure it
Is it really worth it, £3.5k to insure a punto turbo
Old 20 November 2010, 09:09 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P4UL
Is it really worth it, £3.5k to insure a punto turbo

It is if you have 2 trips or falls in that year.
Old 20 November 2010, 09:17 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
It's all well and good moaning about insurers putting the costs up, but you need to look at the reason the prices are going up.... dodgy personal injury claims.

All they time the insurers are loosing so much money they'll carry on increasing prices unfortunately.
so basically am paying for everyone else's claim even tho i have never claimed and it still keeps going up .....

good old britain
Old 20 November 2010, 09:19 PM
Triple filtered
Scooby Regular

Taxpayers pay for everything
Old 20 November 2010, 09:23 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

Woah woah woah, not entirely accurate. The desire to make massive profits is the principle reason premiums are so high, lets see what Zurich or Aviva's profit figures for this year will turn out to be shall we?

We both know insurers don't do so badly out of PI claims. They sell of the claims to the highest bidder and get kick backs on every possible scam they can. Direct capture and offers being made without advice or a medical report are unethical and unregulated. All in the name of profit.

Edit:- Aviva's profits for the first half of the year are £1.27 billion pounds. The poor little things must be searching down the back of the sofa when the pools man knocks at the door.

Not every claim is fraudulent and not every PI Solicitor is in it for the profit either, some actually care about the victim.

Last edited by Milamber; 20 November 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 20 November 2010, 09:26 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by phil739
so basically am paying for everyone else's claim even tho i have never claimed and it still keeps going up .....

good old britain
That's pretty much how insurance works unfortunately, and why we pay it.

That said... all it takes is for you to slide on wet leaves, tap the car infront, and you insurers will be looking at a £10k+ claim, so every penny you've been paying in insurance for the last 'x' amount of years is wiped out... and others will effectively have been paying for your claim.

Whenever people moan to me about having to pay too much to cover other peoples claims, tell me that they've never claimed, and will never have an accident..... i ask they why they want to protect their NCB, as surely if you're that confident you'll never make a claim you're throwing money away each year.
Old 20 November 2010, 09:31 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Milamber
Not every claim is fraudulent and not every PI Solicitor is in it for the profit either, some actually care about the victim.
I never mentioned anything about genuine claims being a problem, it's the dodgy PI claims (ie 5 people who stop their car on a blind bend to get hit) that cause the problems.

If someone is genuinely hurt then i agree they should be entitled to compensation.... i think we'd all agree with that, but it's the fraudlent claims that are killing the market.

I don't know how much profit Aviva made (i don't do that much business with them), but when underwriters are experiencing 160% loss ratios (not from ourselves i'd like to add!!!) something has to give.

This is why certain postcodes.... where the 'dodgy' claims are coming from are being excluded by lots of insurers.
Old 20 November 2010, 09:36 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

does protecting your ncb mean anything these days anyway
Old 20 November 2010, 09:44 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

as for paying for non insured people i pay a suplpement ontop of my insure to cover this so why should my premium go up as well

that makes it that am paying twice for non insured people

non of this is a dig at you moley, just pees me off that every year (this year was nearly 60% inncrease) i get one year older, wiser and another year no claims and it still goes up

by the way am not a 20 year old moaning am 40 ....lol
Old 20 November 2010, 10:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

60% increase is excessive, we are finding the average increase to be 5%-10%.
However, that's because we're very careful with our underwriting.
Other insurers who aren't as picky have bigger rises.

Protecting NCB means your rate will sill increase if you have a claim, but not as much as if it wasn't protected.

I see things from all angles, as an Impreza owner and an insurance broker.
Don't forget my premiums increase every year aswell (unfortunately).
Old 20 November 2010, 10:31 PM
phil739
Scooby Regular

seat leon 1.90tdi ,was 340, this years renewal was 560 , after shopping around could still only get it down to 450 ..... nothing had changed apart from me being 1 year older

will be giving you a call in feb when the scooby is due then , well will try and get through to you ...lol
not been able to the last 2 years even after leaving voice mails , not to worry i understand your busy
Old 20 November 2010, 11:04 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Had the same with my second car (a Corsa)

I paid £275 last year, renewal was £550.
Took a lot of work to get it down to a sensible figure.

Seems that the 'run-of-the-mill' cars are having a bigger increase than the performance cars.... my Impreza policy only went up £25 at renewal.
Old 20 November 2010, 11:14 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

stop adding personal injury insurance then to everyones policy.

when i rang round for my renewal first words about the policy with most companys is how much the
personal injury insurance i could get up to in the event of a claim. my reply to them no wonder the insurance has gone up so much.

what happened to the days when car insurance was just car insurance

personal injury insurance should be taken out at a different company different policy.

car insurance should be just that simple!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 November 2010, 12:46 AM
Moley
Sponsor

You have the wrong end of the stick.... anyone 'injured' in an accident can claim personal injury.

Of course if you have an accident and someone wants to claim off of you, you're more than welcome to pay their PI claim yourself.
Old 21 November 2010, 12:49 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by maydew
stop adding personal injury insurance then to everyones policy.
We don't sell personal injury insurance.

Quick Reply: looks like the end of driving cars for a year