Advise on tracking

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2010, 12:53 PM
Techno-P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice on tracking (toe in/out)

Hi all!

I have a classic scooby MY99, and the issue i have is that it keeps pulling to the left.
I have been in and had it tracked once in an ATS, who tracked it using laser alignment, and as soon as i left it kept pulling to the left.
Skip forward, and i took it to a different place who said that one of the rear lateral link adjusters had seized and couldn't align it, so i got some genuine subaru rear lateral link adjuster bolts, nuts and rubber bushes to replace both sides. I put them on at the weekend and took it back, they then aligned it and gave me the laser alignment printout, the rears were out by a lot - as i had just replaced the adjusters - and the front left out by 2.1mm and the front right was within tolerance.
After the correction, both rears are within 0.1mm tolerance, the fronts both within 0.6mm tolerance.
As soon as i drove out, the car still pulled slightly to the left.
I'm going to assume here that my brakes on the near side are not binding on as i cannot hear any rubbing or scraping on the brakes, either while driving along or with the car jacked up and moving the wheel by hand (however im not willing to rule this out if im wrong here).
When i do brake slightly, the car does stay straight, and doesn't pull to either side.

Am i missing something fundamental here? perhaps there is some sort of bush that needs replacing as it's okay when its tracked but as soon as i move it has play in it and goes out of alignment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Techno-P; 08 November 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08 November 2010, 06:21 PM
Techno-P
Scooby Regular

bump! any ideas anyone?
Old 08 November 2010, 06:28 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

could be just road camber. all cars will still pull slightly left but worse depending on road level.
Old 08 November 2010, 06:36 PM
Techno-P
Scooby Regular

i have tried driving it on various road surfaces, and it varies from a slight pull to the left on very flat roads, to a more noticable pull to the left on some of the bad roads.
I have the tyre's inflated to 2.2bar all around, this should be okay.

It's just puzzling!
Old 08 November 2010, 09:22 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

mine still drags to the left an maybe worse on worse roads wth bad camber. how is your shocks. do they seem even all round or does car seem the lean 1 side more than the other?
Old 09 November 2010, 10:38 AM
tjmatt
Scooby Regular

When you say tracking, are they only adjusting the toe in/out of all four wheels, or do they check and adjust the camber too? You don't mention camber, pulling to the left or right is much more likely to be a camber imbalance on the two front wheels.

For example - no camber on front left gives a higher contact patch in a straight line than a tiny bit of negative camber on the right, and will pull the car over to the left. You need to make sure each side is equal.

Additionally ensure you have exactly the same tyres fitted all round with the same sizes, in the correct directions if directional.

I find tracking is something tyre places always bang on about and then they only adjust the toe settings which does not solve everything.