Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to change ECU now won't fire/start !

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2010, 12:51 PM
naughtyhunnybunny
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried to change ECU now won't fire/start !

We have changed the ECU on MY00 which as standard is the AE802 for a AE801, well that was the plan but as soon as you turn the attempt to the key all the relays go mad, the engine management light is on saying check engine and it won't fire & run it just dies..
I know that some require the coding business but on the 99/00 they don't need it so its not that, is it possible the ECU I have is faulty or is it possibly something else ? I've plugged the original back in and its fine, starts and runs perfectly..
I have emailed Simon (JGM) as he gave me advice to start with but I know he's a busy guy so it could be a while before I hear back from him, any advice in the mean while would be great though
Old 23 October 2010, 01:01 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by naughtyhunnybunny
We have changed the ECU on MY00 which as standard is the AE802 for a AE801, well that was the plan but as soon as you turn the attempt to the key all the relays go mad, the engine management light is on saying check engine and it won't fire & run it just dies..
I know that some require the coding business but on the 99/00 they don't need it so its not that, is it possible the ECU I have is faulty or is it possibly something else ? I've plugged the original back in and its fine, starts and runs perfectly..
I have emailed Simon (JGM) as he gave me advice to start with but I know he's a busy guy so it could be a while before I hear back from him, any advice in the mean while would be great though
I think you will find the keys DO need coding to the ecu. My year 2000 classic had to have them done.
Old 23 October 2010, 02:06 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

A new key fob will need matching to alarm and a new key has a transponder for the immobiliser, but in your case there should be no issue changing the AE802 for a AE801 (have done it myself on a UK MY00) so I guess the 801 you have may be faulty.

Kevin