Sponsored by:

dodgy boost

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2010, 09:38 AM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dodgy boost

My boost drops off at the most ridiculous and random moments. If im on dual carriageway and plant the foot it boosts to 1.1 bar all is fine and the car pulls well.

Then .....next time you put the foot down it only boosts to 0.5 bar.

Sometimes it will behave well all day others i'll be on low boost. what should i be checking?

My95 wrx wagon
hks IK
Baileys DV (it was on car when purchased and top of my suspect list)
Magnex cat back
Polar performance chip
catch can breather set up
td-05 16g
it has 3 port bcs as standard which i have cleaned by spraying carb cleaner into the spigots.

what should i be checking? not that i condone "spirited driving" well i do...really. it always seems to happen when i have some chav in a civic or similar giving it beans at stupid revs.
Old 20 October 2010, 03:04 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Peter,
Bailey would be my prime suspect too. Mattybr5 has the OE item for sale here.

edit; is the BCS clicking constantly either under normal conditions or when the ECU is put in test mode?

Last edited by Glowplug; 20 October 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 21 October 2010, 10:11 AM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

for one sily moment i thought i maybe had a weak solder on the chip socket lol. (how dare i think something wrong with my car)

yeah once on test mode there is loads of clicking coming from the engine bay, but i think it is just relay test.

I have put a washer into the vac end of the dv, to stop the spring from moving - effectively blanking off the DV. All now seems fine and i now get the old air chopping sound from the compressor.

question 1 - will my turbo be ok basically having no DV

question 2 - with the pp chip adjusting AFR can i safely-ish install a dawes device to up the boost to 1.2? and if so do i remove the restrictor pill and insert device on the bottom outlet of bcs to inlet?
Old 21 October 2010, 12:10 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by morandpeter
for one sily moment i thought i maybe had a weak solder on the chip socket lol. (how dare i think something wrong with my car)

yeah once on test mode there is loads of clicking coming from the engine bay, but i think it is just relay test.

I have put a washer into the vac end of the dv, to stop the spring from moving - effectively blanking off the DV. All now seems fine and i now get the old air chopping sound from the compressor.

question 1 - will my turbo be ok basically having no DV

question 2 - with the pp chip adjusting AFR can i safely-ish install a dawes device to up the boost to 1.2? and if so do i remove the restrictor pill and insert device on the bottom outlet of bcs to inlet?
Hi Peter, Bloody Baileys, the times i read about the f'ing things.

A1. Yeah, the TD05 is said to be able to take strain, unlike the VF's.

A2. I run a Dawes with no problem, 1.17bar (17psi). The only thing is you have to adjust once or twice a year due to the outside temps and running so close to the MAP sensors limit. I have an AFR gauge in the car and have run Evoscan, i am happy with the fuelling.

You can fit it and keep the BCS but it's sort of un-nessisary as the BCS is redundent either way, and the shorter the hose runs the better.

You can see how my Dawes is fitted in the pic below:

edit: You can get a DD off ebay for £55 or order direct and save yourself a few £'s. $58 delivered. (£37)

Last edited by Glowplug; 21 October 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 22 October 2010, 07:24 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

hmmm i have a slightly different problem now, not that its a bad one.

I have 3 inch system all the way with decat, and on maximum foot plantage the boost peaks at 1.2-1.25 is this normal? not that im complaining as the car goes like a rocket now.
Old 22 October 2010, 07:35 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Fitting my 3" caused boost increase on mine too. That is why i fitted the Dawes to cap it as it was hitting cut in the colder winter months.