Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Proofing "HELP" Required

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2002, 10:47 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an STI 3 wagon which is very noisy to the point of being anoying on long runs, the exhaust is decated which accounts for some of it but otherwise the car is standard.
As I am going down through France in the Summer the thought of 4-5 Hours droning down the peage does not appeal to me let alone the passengers
I live in central Hampshire, does anybody know of anybody who could help sound deaden the car, I dont mind travelling (within reason) I know you can buy various sound absorbent material but I would rather find somebody who could do a "proper job".
Also any other advice would be appreciated, I have already had turn up the stereo, buy ear defenders etc & would prefer constructive advice.
I also have a couple of VERY anoying rattles in the rear of the car, I have spent ages trying to find them, does anybody know somebody who sorts rattles!
Old 07 April 2002, 10:57 AM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Maybe you could consider a midsection replacement with a resonator on it to lessen the noise, magnex do one.
A different back box may give a different sound that you may find less annoying

You could use something like dynamat on the floor of the boot, it is a very effective sound deadening (sp?) material used by the ICE folks.

Andy
Old 07 April 2002, 11:38 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I was thinking this myself. Please, if anyone has any success on deadening the sound from a scoobysport etc exhaust on a wagon, then please let me know?

Thanks.
Old 07 April 2002, 12:15 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Some people reckon a lot of the noise comes through from the boot and a piece of carpet underlay stuck under the boot lining 'carpet' helps kill the noise.
Old 07 April 2002, 06:08 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Stuart
Have a word with Steve (the sound man) from Noise Killer UK
contactable on 0161 6438070
Richard
Old 07 April 2002, 07:25 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I did various bits on the Fiesta, for the stereo mainly but it also killed some road noise. I found most succes by doing the roof! I noticed one day driving with snow on the car that it was loads quiter, so out with the dynamat!

I'd say now, that the exhaust drone is more noticeable at motorways speeds though the noise overall is lower.

Bob
Old 07 April 2002, 07:28 PM
RichardPON
Scooby Regular

I put 34 rolls of Dynamat in my old ICE car.

Use it cos it works, but watch the extra weight.
Old 07 April 2002, 08:15 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Stuart,

I went through the same thing decatting everything on my wagon. Had a Magnex Oval BB which was very "boomy" on motorway journies. Have now settled for SS DP, Magnex resonator centre section and customised Long Life BB tailored to reduce some of the noise at least. It's still a little intrusive on a long run but most of the noise is from th tyres. I have also put extra carpet in the boot. So, I am trying out Maffa's group buy of sound deadening material which is a lot cheaper than the dynomat price that I was quoted. The relevant thread is on the ICE section and maybe worth a look.

HTH

Jerome
Old 07 April 2002, 09:23 PM
NBW
Scooby Regular

AFAIK most of the noise comes from the backbox, I have a Magnex resonated centre, and I would say that the noise this added was more turbo whistle and wastegate chatter, BUT I guess the extra gas flow hitting the backbox is what gives that boom at 3000-3500 revs from the backbox (mine has SS DP and WR Sport BB).

I fitted carpet underlay under rear seat and under boot carpet, it's dead easy and will only cost you about 15 quid and half hour. Made a noticeable difference in my '00 UK Turbo wagon.

The other thing to do is may be buy a Remus BB (supposed to be as quiet as the standard BB on a UK turbo but better gas flow). Cost around 200 quid, but you could sell it afterwards for, say, £170?

Cheers
Tim

Old 08 April 2002, 11:15 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your various advice, looks like a new exhaust may be worth looking at & some dadening material, I will also contact the "sound man"

Old 08 April 2002, 11:29 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Stuart,

Before you spend large amounts of cash, I'd pop down to your local carpet fitter/retailer and ask for some underlay off-cuts.

The local supplier here said I could have as much as I could physically carry out of the shop for only £10 as the money would go straight into their charity box.

So far, I've put two strips of underlay under the rear seat and lined the boot. I've cut another strip to match the size/shape of the boot carpet, so I plan to stick these two together.

It's made a big difference in the noise off the STI exhaust, but most of the noise comes from under the car, so next step is to underlay the floorpan. I might get the Dynamat (or equivalent) for the doors.

I didn't go for the spongy underlay with the paper backing, but some orange 5 mm thick heavy felt.

It's worth trying to see what results you get before spending a lot of money on proper sound-proofing.

Stefan
Old 04 August 2002, 02:58 PM
krankyd
Scooby Regular

Smile

I got really fed up with not being able to hear the nice new stereo in my MY99, so I did the following:

Dynomat in the front / rear doors. Made a nice improvement in the quality of the sound from the speakers, and deaden'd the sound a bit.

Underlay all under the carpet on most of the car! I ripped out all the carpet and padded loads of underlay onto the bottom of the car, esp. around the front passenger wheel wells, and the back seat.

Get a nice large rubber mat for the boot. It makes a differance!

I also sprayed a load of some sound deadening spray from the dynomat people under the front / back wheel arches.

The only thing that I didn't do was to air-tight the boot, (e.g. placing loads of underlay on the boot lid + all the boot, but it would probally be recommended if you put a sub in the boot....

[Edited by krankyd - 4/8/2002 2:58:38 PM]