Sponsored by:

L.P.G.

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2002, 09:22 AM
Hooley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anyone know of a Bug-eye that's been converted to LPG?

As i understand it is possible but you may lose about 5% power, anyone done this?

Reason - I do about 30,000 miles a year and have several garages selling the stuff nearby, was told it would pay for itself within a year.

Hooley
Old 02 August 2002, 06:05 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

My brother in law owns a company that does LPG conversions and he's been trying to get me to have one done on the scoob.

He reckons it'll run just as well if not better

Mike
Old 02 August 2002, 06:44 PM
TerzoJames
Scooby Regular

Any idea how much it costs?

I was thinking of doing it on my Terzo

James
Old 02 August 2002, 07:48 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

And me, been thinking about it for ages

Cheers Phill C

PS I think JZA will be interested for his bug eye

Old 03 August 2002, 12:11 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Have been thinking about it too on and off, but I was told that it wouldn't work too well on a turbo. - something about the low compression ratio IIRC

Things may have moved on a bit since I last looked (a few months ago now)

Would be interested to hear how it goes.
Old 03 August 2002, 12:24 PM
RB5#295
Scooby Regular

I was told last year that it couldn't be done to a turbo. If things have moved on them I'm in, since I do 50k a year. Anybody know for sure?
Old 03 August 2002, 03:41 PM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of getting my Sport done, which i believe is possible. RB170, feel free to pass on my details to your brother in law if he's interested in doing a test car on mine.

Steve
Old 04 August 2002, 12:45 AM
MattWiltshire
Scooby Newbie

Hi,

Sorry to but in, I'd be very interested if someone gets a conversion done. I used to own a UK Turbo and Legacy GT-B but had to sell due ot running costs. I run a Saab on LPG and the costs are great (equivalent 50mpg from an old bus like that).

I might even be able to get authority from the bank manager (Her indoors) to get a new scooby.

I also notice autotrader has an LPG converted scooby for sale, so I might contact them to find out where it was converted.

From my experience you would have to look at a G3 system (multipoint vapour injection) but it may have now moved on again.

Good Luck

Matt Wiltshire

PS LPG is 33p/litre in Peterborough
Old 04 August 2002, 04:49 PM
Eldar
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've got a BMW 530 v8 on LPG. The first system was not good - single point injection. Lost of power loss, wouldn't rev, backfires, breakdowns. It was OK at 85mpg on motorways, and did about 18mpg. No good otherwise.

That has been replaced by a sequential injection system which is far better, does all the things the old system failed to do.

It is not quite as good as petrol, which is smoother at low revs, and gives more power - but you need to work hard to notice. It also does around 24mpg, which equates on cost to around 60mpg on petrol. I pay 26p for LPG, I have a share in a bulk tank. Normally LPG is 33 to 36p retail.

Befor I commited a scooby to LPG I'd make bloody sure I knew that the installer knew what they were doing, and had done one before, and talk to its owner, and driven the car.
I wouldn't want to be a guinea pig again!

There is no reason in theory why a WRX, at least, shouldn't be converted. LPG is around 110 octane, so that should compensate to some extent for the lack of energy in LPG (90% of petrol). A turbo is no problem - the LPG ECU compensates for that. The big problem is that there isn't a kit, so there would need to be a lot of development to get it right.

Colin.
Old 04 August 2002, 04:52 PM
Richie1
Scooby Regular

LPG also burns cleaner, emissions are lower (lower tax bracket when this comes in) and, if they ever bring that "Congestion Tax" where you pay to enter cities, LPG vehicles are exempt from paying it.