Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do? keep scoob or e46 bmw ci???

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2010, 02:31 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do? keep scoob or e46 bmw ci???

as above have had the scoob for nrly 3years now and just fancy a change quite like the e46 325ci (be better on fuel i hope) any advice greatful or if anybody has any experience with the e46s....things to look out for so on. thanking you
Old 27 September 2010, 02:36 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

BMW tech here mate, pm me any info you need, i'll do my best to answer all questions.
Old 27 September 2010, 02:40 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

sweeeeeeeet cheers fella, just want to no really what to look out for on the e46....anything prone to funk up i no the bushes on the front are prone to going
Old 27 September 2010, 03:21 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bolasti
sweeeeeeeet cheers fella, just want to no really what to look out for on the e46....anything prone to funk up i no the bushes on the front are prone to going
ive had a few bms 325`s-328`s in my time of driving and they are nice reliable motors (if well looked after), very comfortable compared to the scoobs(iam 6f 3" tho) and they good fun to drive(especially in da wet). even when ive been in ownership of a bmw with it running in A1 condition i still pine for the scoob........
my mate has a stunning 2002plate 325 convertible for sale in dark blue with cream nappa leather elec memory seats ,full elecs,a.c,c.c 19"brand new splits immaculate con think he wants 4.5k i have been tempted,............. but cant give up the scoob addiction wether you can i dont know
Old 27 September 2010, 03:57 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

you have pm buddy
Old 27 September 2010, 06:33 PM
dantastic
Scooby Regular

Sold my 03 sti ppp and went for a 04 BMW 325ise, for me it was the worst decision i have ever made, don't get me wrong the BMW was a nice car to drive and i had it for just over a year, although i was bored with it after just a few weeks of ownership, I missed being in a scoob so much i sold the BMW and bought another scoob, and Im loving it, as for things to look out for on the BMW they have a well known problem with the earth on the rear light clusters which is a very easy fix, also front wishbone bushes, apart from that they are pretty much bulletproof.

Last edited by dantastic; 27 September 2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 27 September 2010, 06:47 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

thanks buddy turboaddict you have pm
Old 27 September 2010, 06:48 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

No experience with the E46, but plenty with E30, E36 and E28's, mostly M cars. IMHO you will always miss the Scoob unless you do alot of motorway/autobahn .

If you are presently driving a Classic then there is a fair old weight difference as well. As turboaddict so rightly says, great cars to drive in their own right, you can almost drive them sideways, great fun. They are however, nowhere near as nimble or 'railed' as a Scoob, although you will see more miles per gallon, but probably less smiles.

I will not go into the 'watch outs' as i'm sure rookymatt can provide much more accurate info.

Two very different marques, with 2 very different uses/styles. I wouldn't of missed out on my time with them for anything (but i had never driven a Scoob at the time).

M535i 286bhp Never felt as quick as the Scoob (did weigh in at 1.5 tons though)

Last edited by Glowplug; 27 September 2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 27 September 2010, 07:04 PM
magneel1
Scooby Regular

I had a 320ci which was a 2.2 convertible, one of the best cars ive had.

Got stainless steel exhausts etc on the 6 cylinder, sounded sweet but compared to my car now it had no power, was roughly about 180BHP and my scoobs about 350ish.

Was fun in the wet tho and as b13bat said, you can drive them sideways .

It was also much more reliable then my scoob.

Old 27 September 2010, 07:17 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

nice bms chaps....thx for advice. problem im havin is the funds are tied up in the scoob so tying part ex with somebody with e46 what a forking nightmare not much intrest at all.
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

best thing to do would be take your scoob off the roads get the m3 try it for a mounth then decide, (depends if your funds allow)
m@t STImulation
Scooby Regular

best thing to do would be take your scoob off the roads get the m3 try it for a mounth then decide, (depends if your funds allow) that way you dont loose you scoob and have to start from scratch again
Old 27 September 2010, 07:20 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

m3.......i wish mate thats another reason wnat to down size a bit scoob running round 340bhp and as we all no fuel prices arnt going down and she only does 18mpg plus getting wed nxt year so need to get something a bit cheaper. do like the m3s. my mate had a e36 m3 running about 320bhp goes well.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:25 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

Bolasti, didn't get a pm from you mate.
Right now i'm home i can put some letters down!!

OK.
Chassis....
The chassis on these cars is a honed, and fettled improvement over the E36. Much sharper turn in and better on limit handling. Nearly all came with the very good DSC stability system, which is generally very very good.
Ok to the faults,
1. The rear coil springs corrode and snap on the very upper/lower points of the springs.
2. Front wishbone bushes are common to fail (as you mentioned)
3. The front ball joints are very robust, but if they fail...they are incorperated in the front wishbones, therefore, you'll need to replace the affected wishbone.

Engine....
The m54 engine is one of BMW's most reliable engines, ever.(the 6 cylinders 320i, 325i, 330i, plus the early 328ci and 323i which actually were the m52tu which was equally as good)
The faults that do occur are,
1. The cam sensors can fail, the old design ones have an oil seal inside them which fail. This generally will see the car sometimes stall, or increased fuel economy.
2. High milers can have breathing issues, as the crankcase breathers get clogged due to old age. You'll start to see oil leaks, or the engine can use oil.
3. Radiators can bow at the bottom on high milers. You won't see anything untoward at engine bay level....untill the rad explodes.
4. Coolant expansion tanks can split. Coolant loss will occur.
Due to items 3&4, check the coolant level (when stone cold)
5. Do not fit a stupid bmc or cone type filters, as it will cost you horses, and generally vibrates the delicate hot film airmas meter into an early grave!! (fit BMC pannel filter if you want to improve throttle response.

Servicing....

Ok service intervals on these cars are too long. 15000 miles between oil changes is a recipie for disaster in my book. 10000 miles or yearly....max!!!
Coolant change every four years, brake fluid every two.
There is no cambelt.

Thats all i can think of right now. Any more questions.....just ask.

Last edited by rookymatt; 27 September 2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 27 September 2010, 08:35 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

rooky matt cheers fella
Old 27 September 2010, 08:40 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

iv just done the same mate , had a wr1 running 350 bhp and done a deal on a 2002 325ci convertible , dont get me wrong the bm is nice but its like a old mans car compaired to the scooby
think iv made the right decision but im only a week in to it lol

stu

ps ,, mods already started lol (just got to look it up as no nowt about them )
Old 27 September 2010, 08:43 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

post sum pics stu of the bm nice
Old 27 September 2010, 08:48 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

will do mate when i learn how to do it on the iphone , as iv lost the cable

what model you thinking of getting ?
Old 27 September 2010, 09:02 PM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

hopefully 325ci.......still a bit of power but better on fuel than the scoob.
Old 27 September 2010, 09:12 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

325ci isn't much better on fuel compared to the 330ci, presonally i'd go for the 330ci buddy. (hang on.... i did!! hehe)
Nice cars, and good low down grunt for an n/a engine.
Old 27 September 2010, 09:14 PM
mr hat
Scooby Regular

mates got a 330ci, appalling fuel consumption, nice car, nice interior, not as quick as my uk turbo, very heavy, great on motorways, quiet, silky smooth, bit boring though imho.
Old 27 September 2010, 09:23 PM
rookymatt
Scooby Regular

All BMWs (bar the m powers) are boring to drive in comparison to a subaru.
I only had my 330ci for 4 months, and was so bored, i bought my bug eye!
The difference is on the motorway with cruise control on, i got 26-29mpg, and i could have a conversation to my fiance without screaming.
I could also turn on my heated seats on a cold morning, with my anti dazzle rear view mirror stopping plonkers behind me, with badly adjusted headlights hurting my eyes.
Plus i could listen to the crisp harmon kardon sound system at a nice level

BUT...........................
importantly..........
I WAS BORED TO HELL!!!!! THE CAR DROVE ME, I DIDN'T DRIVE THE CAR.
Old 28 September 2010, 10:42 AM
bolasti
Scooby Regular

was thinking about getting the 330ci but my insuarnce want an extra 400notes bunch of jokers so guna hold out for the 325coi if anybody nos of any peeps with a e46 325ci will is looking for a scooby (i.e mine) let me no could do a deal thanks
Old 28 September 2010, 11:49 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

+1 on most of the issues that Rookymatt has pointed out; going the full distance/2years on oils changes WILL sludge up the engine even when using BMW Longlife spec oil.

But being honest, I really think you should try and find a 330. The 325 2.5 unit is a nice engine, sweet revving, but just doesn't have the punch of the 3.0. Going from a scoob to that will start to become annoying after a bit IMO (it certainly did with our e46 325).

These issues can made worse due to a slowly degrading MAF (making it generally gutless) and a cam sensor(s) on it way out, which make it hesitate and bog down (no fault codes, one can only tell via live diagnostics data, and knowing what to look for). Oddly 2.5 MAF sensors are more expensive than the 3.0 MAFs and no, they don't interchange - not even the probes (I tried it, as I had a spare 3.0 MAF ). The MAF problem is not helped by vacuum leaks and a sludged PCV valve; the rubber and plastic used on the inlet/breather hoses is not the most robust which can cause some minor, but weird and wonderful issues, same with the flap inside the intake manifold which controls the intake tract length. It often doesn't cause much of a problem so isn't noticed by many people (unless serious), but it does give the engine some minor running issues (hesitance, flat spots, reduced economy etc).

Thermostats can stick open too which is getting quite common as these cars are getting old now - if the heater is a bit pants, or takes ages to warm up (even if the temp guage moves into the normal area fairly quick). Simple change - so long as the fan will come off the pump, which if it won't...a simple job becomes a pain in the ****.

Just to give an insight to to the power/torque difference between a 2.5 and 3.0: Even though mine back to its full bhp (cam+MAF issues), its an auto and it almost refuses to do a burn out. Our 530 auto on the other hand will effortlessly smoke up the rears on command in the wet or dry - both cars run Michelins Pilot Sports all round. Not that I make a habit of doing such things, but its a good example of the torque difference between both engines.