New guy looking at a Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2010, 07:48 AM
sturgi
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking at a Legacy - Update

Hi

New to this forum and hopefully new to Subaru. Looking to move from an Accord Tourer to a Legacy Sport Tourer as still need an estate but not the size/volume the Accord has. Narrowed my choice down to a BM or the Legacy, looking at a 06 2.0 RE on Saturday at the Subaru dealer in Swindon but just after a little advice on what to look for.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by sturgi; 28 September 2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10 September 2010, 12:38 PM
turboaddict
Scooby Regular

[quote=sturgi;9592424]Hi

New to this forum and hopefully new to Subaru. Looking to move from an Accord Tourer to a Legacy Sport Tourer as still need an estate but not the size/volume the Accord has. Narrowed my choice down to a BM or the Legacy, looking at a 06 2.0 RE on Saturday at the Subaru dealer in Swindon but just after a little advice on what to look for.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Ian[/quote
before you even look at the legacy just ask if you can take a impreza turbo out for a test drive then you will see why we all love em
Old 10 September 2010, 01:46 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sturgi
Hi

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Ian
Welcome to the forum.
I had a 2008 legacy estate for nearly 2 years. It was a diesel though so no real idea about the petrol versions.
Very smart looking car, dark colours best, black, grey, drives very well, handles even in estate form better than the 06 saloon wrx/sti impreza's! (don't confuse grip for handling).
Should be very very reliable. Tried & tested 4wd system.
If the 2.0 petrol is 150ps then adequate poke, bit thirsty though.
Nightmare to sell on, most non subaru dealers will say 'No idea what one is', 'Had one 6 months, f**k off' or similar so the price you pay needs to reflect this (Say screen price less 20-30%). Having said that when you did come to sell, certain Subaru dealers are excellent with their px deals but definitely not all, need to shop round.
Sat nav/Leather desirable.
Although I've since swapped for an STi if I could afford to run both I would.
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 16 September 2010, 07:13 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

I had a salloon RE...only problem was the front rota's kept warping...in the end got drilled and vented black diamond.
Old 16 September 2010, 07:44 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

on that model year keep an eye for hesitation, also feel on the floor when driving for any knocking as the front anti roll bar bushes wear and front calipers knocking,
Old 16 September 2010, 08:49 PM
muzzler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
on that model year keep an eye for hesitation, also feel on the floor when driving for any knocking as the front anti roll bar bushes wear and front calipers knocking,
Forgot mine had hesitiation...felt like at around 2500 revs got stuck for 500 revs.....disonnecting the battery for 20 mins cured and then was fine for 3/4 months.
Old 17 September 2010, 11:30 AM
sturgi
Scooby Newbie

Cheers For the updates, currently in discussions about cost to change etc. Using the feedback.
Old 17 September 2010, 12:30 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

www.uklegacy.com

Good forum for query.
Old 18 September 2010, 08:17 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Best handling estate I`ve ever had; if you can afford the diesel you wont regret it. I thought the leggys at simpsons were a bit pricey, but Steve is the most honest dealer that I have come across, if that is where you are looking. He still drives a hard bargain though ! Try to find private, as they are hard to sell; not because they are bad, but just because sheep flock to audi, ford and bm. STAND ALONE !! well nearly.......
Old 18 September 2010, 01:41 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

the hesitation is cureable now with a pak file update
Old 19 September 2010, 09:48 AM
sturgi
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
Best handling estate I`ve ever had; if you can afford the diesel you wont regret it. I thought the leggys at simpsons were a bit pricey, but Steve is the most honest dealer that I have come across, if that is where you are looking. He still drives a hard bargain though ! Try to find private, as they are hard to sell; not because they are bad, but just because sheep flock to audi, ford and bm. STAND ALONE !! well nearly.......
Yes it is Simpsons and they appear to be the most expensive but discussions are open, might even start looking at the 2.5 on the Subaru site. Most of the 2.5 are a little older but less miles and technical data looks the same but would rather have a manual.
Old 28 September 2010, 07:08 PM
sturgi
Scooby Newbie

Hi All

Thanks for all the advice and I also got some info from the Legacy UK forum. So just to let you know I have done a deal on a 2007 2.5 Legacy Sport Tourer with an Auto box. Was not looking for an Auto but thought have a test drive before dismissing and ended up liking the car we did the deal. Getting it from the dealer in Blandford and picking it up Friday.

Once again thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Ian
Old 28 September 2010, 09:18 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Too late for this then!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1884574.htm