Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow chains

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 12:53 AM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone out there willing to lend/rent me some?
Also, any advice on which wheels to put them on and/or experience in using them welcome.

standard 16" rims BTW.

Neil.
Old 12 March 2001, 01:00 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

If you are going to the alps, you don't need them - we've just returned and most places would be glad to see some snow.....

Seriously, unless you know you are going to bad snow you won't need them. I know there are horror stories around about the feds stopping you outside resorts and making you fit chains but i've never seen them.
You can probably argue that you have AWD and don't need them.

If you are on standard RE010's they don't have much grip on anything however.

If you do take/fit them, front wheels ONLY.

And most chains are a pain to fit........
Old 12 March 2001, 01:16 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dave T-S:
<B>If you do take/fit them, front wheels ONLY.[/quote]Wouldn't that make the car prone to oversteer?

Old 12 March 2001, 01:28 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you oversteer it on snow on public roads.....you are overdriving it - or have a death wish.

Only repeating what Subaru say in the manual about front wheels only......
Old 12 March 2001, 02:36 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Neil F:
<B>Anyone out there willing to lend/rent me some?
Also, any advice on which wheels to put them on and/or experience in using them welcome.

standard 16" rims BTW.

Neil.[/quote]

If you're going to the alps or a snowy area take your chains. Hopefully they'll just sit in your boot but the first time you need them you'll be grateful. Being stuck on a 15 degree slope in a four wheel drive car is a humbling experience! We in the UK don't have the amount of snow that makes them necessary so we don't view them as just a normal piece of kit. Buy them over there in the supermarkets or equivalent of Halfords where they are about 1/3 the price but check the distance between the inside of the tyre and any struts, calipers etc. This will tell you how thick the chain links and fittings can be. On my 17" rims I can only use 9mm thick links. Also, what is the distance between the tyre and wheel arch as you may have to squeeze your hand inside during the fitting. Buy the easiest fitting ones and practice fitting them...11pm at night in a snow storm, minus 10 and frozen hands is not a time for experimentation.

ps; oddly, a lot of the chain manufacturers mark their boxes with fitting information in inchs

Old 12 March 2001, 02:57 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Plenty of advice but no chains!!

Dave.
I'm off to Courchevel (staying at 1300) to a friends apartment. She says that she's needed chains in April and she has a RAV4 (uurgh) and that they do have Police checks at the ends of the mountain road.
I guess I should be safe than sorry.
Also I'm on SO2s, though I don't know their characteristics in snow either way.

Obi. (Old Ben?)
Seems like good advice, I'll have a practice when I get the chains.

In theory I'll be doing it all in the daytime when conditions should be at their clearest and warmest.
I have driven to the Italian Alps before with no chains (not in the Scooby) and it was fine, but at the end of the day, I'm praying for snow so I should go prepared!

Now, c'mon guys, you know I'd do it for you, lend me some chains!

Neil

[This message has been edited by Neil F (edited 12 March 2001).]
Old 12 March 2001, 05:04 PM
Hollywood
Scooby Regular

Just got back from Val Thorens - 1000m higher than Courchevel 1300 but chains were very much in evidence most of the week. Definitely take some or get some in France!! By the way Courchevel Police have at least one Impreza 5 door on their fleet...

As to the snow coverage - I was also worried about the lack of snow in this part of France, but in reality you'll only really notice it if you stick around the base areas. Meribel in particular looked horrible - all brown slush everywhere, but the the upper runs of Courchevel were absloutely blinding. Get a Three Valleys lift pass upgrade on a daily basis, and go over to Val Thorens as well - the height of the resort means that most of the runs are in good condition, and it's a good day trip.

Have a good time!

Nick
Old 12 March 2001, 05:19 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Neil

Courchevel 1300 (Le Praz) only has 15cm of snow on the lower slopes at present. There will be nothing on the roads, which is the main road up to Courchevel 1550/1650/1850 and is ALWAYS given priority clearance.

I drive in ski resorts five or six weeks a year.

I was in Val Thorens two years ago and managed to get a Fiat Brava diesel hire car on crap standard tyres up 20 degree slopes that were polished packed snow almost like ice.

S02's are one of the best "standard" tyres on snow having open tread blocks that do not clog up like most other tyres - as long as they have at least 4-5mm tread left they will grip surprisingly well.

If you can't borrow, and don't want to take a chance, by all means buy a set on the way - one of the bigger towns near the skiing like Bourg St Maurice or Moutiers.

Above all, enjoy your skiing!!
Old 12 March 2001, 05:33 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.

OK, bearing in mind that I will be arriving there around lunchtime (stopping over in Chambery for the night) and leaving around 9am coming back, I'll take a chance without chains.
And as you say Le Praz is low altitude.

I know the apartments are ski to door but it sounds like that might be out of the question (you can't have everything can you!).
I suppose I'll just have to stay high and maybe head over to Val Thoren, or maybe Meribel?
Oh, the agony of choice...

I shall miss you all of course......

Neil.
Old 12 March 2001, 07:42 PM
CharlesW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Neil

When will you be there? I will be in 1850 for the 1st week of April - without the car.

I do a fair amount of driving in Scotland on snow. S02 PP's are indeed good on snow as Dave says. However if chains are required the difference in grip is amazing. I think you can hire chains by the week for skiing holidays in the London area.

I agree that it is unlikely that you will need chains to get to Le Praz. However I have been there in April, when chains were required to get out of Brides-les-Bains.

Check out
Old 12 March 2001, 08:08 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Neil,

I saw an advert running in a recent Autocar about a UK company that will hires you a set, but as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you should be able to buy them 'in-Continent' quite cheaply if it's not too much hassle for you.

Nb. I just bought a set in Switzerland for £36 from a 'Jumbo' DIY place.

I believe that is is mandatory to carry them in France on certain Alpine passes.

Have fun! Courchevel is a top place.