hawkeye and DCCD...

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2010, 07:44 PM
mickeymouse
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hawkeye and DCCD...

ive got a hawkeye STI, this DCCD is confusing me alittle

i understand the name Driver Controlled Center Differential. but what does it actually do??

does it change the power from the front to the rear??

i mostly have mine in the fully back position because when its in auto it tends to knock and groan when turning sharply and going up my steep drive. it does not do this when fully back in green.

also does my car have any sort of traction control??
Old 29 August 2010, 08:15 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

thatl clear things up for ya, or make it much murkier, lol.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/sti-tr...explained.html
Old 29 August 2010, 09:25 PM
decepticon
Scooby Regular

leave it in auto when driving on tarmac and let the computer do all the work for you (it is better and far quicker to respond to conditions than you are-traction control etc) when reversing and parking and similar put the handbrake on one click so that the handbrake light comes on the dash and the clunking and groaning will stop.
Old 29 August 2010, 09:38 PM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

If you intend to run it in Manual Mode, i would recommend running it one or two clicks of the thumbwheel up from the bottom green setting for 'normal' road use, to stop the back end from getting too lively when pushed (unless you like it like that ) - Failing that, as already mentioned just run it in auto mode so that you don't have to think about it, and click the handbrake up one notch for low speed, full lock and parking manoeuvers(sp)
Old 29 August 2010, 09:59 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I take it by putting the handbrake up one notch, you're not actually doing enough to stretch the handbrake cable?

Can it be locked in a 50/50 front /rear position?
Old 30 August 2010, 05:11 AM
Suberman
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I take it by putting the handbrake up one notch, you're not actually doing enough to stretch the handbrake cable?

Can it be locked in a 50/50 front /rear position?
I think there isn't any "play" in the cable? It depends on how much clearance there is between the brake pads and your rear discs. On the factory spec setting, i think 1 click will not cause that much drag between the pad and disc.

Yes, it can. Full forward till it clicks on the thumbwheel.
Old 30 August 2010, 08:45 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mickeymouse
ive got a hawkeye STI, this DCCD is confusing me alittle

i understand the name Driver Controlled Center Differential. but what does it actually do??

does it change the power from the front to the rear??
There is a nice description of what it does in the tech archieve, it adjusts the torque distribution front to rear, but the thread by John Felstead (its for the manual but there is very little difference except the new age cars from 2003 have the Auto function), worth reading if your after playing around with it

i mostly have mine in the fully back position because when its in auto it tends to knock and groan when turning sharply and going up my steep drive. it does not do this when fully back in green.??
That knocking and groaning are the LSD's doing their work, only when the car is set in manual and fully rear (bottom green) are the diffs open, then you wont get that groaning (there is nothing to worry about on auto, you will get it when reversing too, just set to manual if you dont want the noise), but the auto will do a better job than you will do in manual as it colerates more information and reacts quicker to changes due to the yaw sensors.

also does my car have any sort of traction control??
Yes, the 4 tyres that keep you on the road (or the AWD system, most 4wd cars dont need traction control for said reason).
Tyres are your best friend, dont buy cheap ones!

Tony
Old 30 August 2010, 05:15 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

DCCD: The answer is in the title - it's a centre differential that you can change the amount of 'lock' or 'slip' on. You are not actually changing the torque split - it's a mechanical unit so it can't!
Old 30 August 2010, 05:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by gpssti4
DCCD: The answer is in the title - it's a centre differential that you can change the amount of 'lock' or 'slip' on. You are not actually changing the torque split - it's a mechanical unit so it can't!
What do you think that diffs transfer?

Your car produces 2 things that are measured, BHP and torque, its got to be one or the other and its not BHP

Tony
Old 30 August 2010, 05:55 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
What do you think that diffs transfer?

Your car produces 2 things that are measured, BHP and torque, its got to be one or the other and its not BHP

Tony

lol yes, you're right Tony (as per bloody usual ) I was thinking changing the power split. People sometimes ask how much power is sent to the front and back and can the % power split be changed.