Sponsored by:

MOT today, not good!

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2010, 05:28 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MOT today, not good!

So, it is that time of year again, the service and tax last month, MOT today.

All started well, dropped the car off, comment on how clean it was for its age and off I went. Still nothing heard by lunchtime, so me thinks good news!

WRONG!!!

Got the phone call i was dreading. It needs 2 new steering rack boots (They have quoted me £160 all in for both sides-seems a bit strange) new wipers, rear fog light (woops, there isnt one!, but it passed at the same garage last year) and the emissions (again it passed last year)

Im getting a bit muddled now as I was quoted £230 inc the MOT for all the work, which is underway as we speak. So, If i am being mugged off slighlty, never mind, but with the cost of my other parts this month, its costing a bit already, and it aint payday till tomorrow.

But, its a scooby, and it has to be done!!!
Old 29 July 2010, 06:04 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

£160 for the steering rack boots fitted, i think you have been done mate, even with the geometry check (which i hope hey do) is bloody expensive.

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...en=&searchKey=
Old 29 July 2010, 06:15 PM
shoot4stars
Scooby Newbie

Same thing with my scooby.. It failed the MOT twice because of the emissions and rear fog lights.. But than I got a guy to pass it on the emissions but wouldn't pass it on the lights. I tried everything. But seems like there's a shortage in the wiring. You should have seen the set up the prior owner did on the wiring for the tail lights. I don't know what they were thinking.
Old 29 July 2010, 06:19 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i would ask them how they are going to go about and get the emission down if i was you i would have taken it to tritton in dorset as they woudl have doen that for half the price and got your car through the mot no wrries i take it you npot far from dorset
Old 29 July 2010, 06:47 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Not far from dorset at all mate, emissions are sorted (for a crate of the finest tesco special) just the resy, i'll ask him for a breakdown of cost in the morning. But, if they 'overlook' a couple of bits, i dont mind paying a few quid extra.

Seen import car parts for the prices, thats why i was a bit dubious. But, if it comes out tomorrow with a years ticket on it, does it matter?

Im just very suspicious about garages!
Old 29 July 2010, 06:54 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

£20 for boots
£40 for MOT
£25 for wipers
£25 for fog light inc wiring
£60 for 2 hrs labour
£35 VAT
= £210

Can't see ya being mugged at that. But as has been said, you will need a geometry check doing afterwards, and i to would be interested as to how they are going to adjust your emissoins
Old 29 July 2010, 07:05 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
£20 for boots
£40 for MOT
£25 for wipers
£25 for fog light inc wiring
£60 for 2 hrs labour
£35 VAT
= £210

Can't see ya being mugged at that. But as has been said, you will need a geometry check doing afterwards, and i to would be interested as to how they are going to adjust your emissoins
Thanks for the breakdown, at least its a bit clearer, the geometry is being done so that would make up the numbers. The car has a catless system, and has since i bought it 2 years ago. It passed the emissions last year with no cat, but this year same bloke asked bout the cat. Its cost me some beverages for the garage.
Old 29 July 2010, 07:09 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by krisando
The car has a catless system, and has since i bought it 2 years ago. It passed the emissions last year with no cat, but this year same bloke asked bout the cat. Its cost me some beverages for the garage.
Perhaps he's after the same this year then, keep him sweet
Old 29 July 2010, 10:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't bribery a little bit illegal?
Old 29 July 2010, 10:15 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Isn't bribery a little bit illegal?
Only if you get caught
Old 29 July 2010, 10:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I think you will find that it is ALWAYS illegal ...
Old 29 July 2010, 10:27 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

I am guessing your car is a uk model and you have fitted sti lights,which dont come with a hole for the fog light. If it is a uk car you already have the wire there with the bulb attached for the fog light. I simply cut a small hole in the drivers side reflector and inserted the bulb and holder & twisted.It fits like a glove and when you turn on your rear fog light switch as the bulb is behind the reflector it is brighter than your std rear lights.Flew through the mot.

If it is an import then you will need to by a fog light and rig it up accordingly.
Old 29 July 2010, 10:30 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by happydude303
i i would have taken it to tritton in dorset
I would rather inject myself with dirty needles than go to Triton.
Old 30 July 2010, 12:00 PM
wrxcook
Scooby Regular

Got my03 Mot'd at the start of the week needed a new bulb also got the oil changed and asked them if they would could sort ap boost problem ( no boost ) picked the car up in the afternoon It cost £462 and they said they would need another 200 to fix the boost, which I fixed myself for £25 with a new boost solenoid I'm very near to name and shaming
Old 30 July 2010, 12:01 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxcook
Got my03 Mot'd at the start of the week needed a new bulb also got the oil changed and asked them if they would could sort ap boost problem ( no boost ) picked the car up in the afternoon It cost £462 and they said they would need another 200 to fix the boost, which I fixed myself for £25 with a new boost solenoid I'm very near to name and shaming

dont be shy!
Old 30 July 2010, 12:33 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Well, I pick her up in an hour, all done, fingers crossed! They sorted the fog light by usoing lense tape and wiring the reverse light to make it a fog, that will be changed tonight! put the fog in the reflector as mentioned above. Empty pockets already. What a start to summer leave!
Old 30 July 2010, 01:14 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
What happened? Tried searching but came up with nothing. I've always had good sevice from them but with Andy Vey going and losing the rolling road maybe looking elsewhere in the future.

Sorry to hijack this thread

PeteS
Old 30 July 2010, 01:29 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear your car failed and you have had to pay out a lot to get it through.

I feel cheeky in saying this, but my car passed it's MOT yesterday even on Co2 simply because I have a very good Sports CAT in the down pipe. I didn't have Meth in the tank at the time so maybe that would have made a difference?

Only Advisory note was "Noisey Exhaust".

Cannot understand why people go Full De-cat myself? It doesn't take a much time to keep on top of things that could cause the car to fail at MOT time. I always give my car a pre MOT check before it goes there.

Hope the car is in full working order when you pick it up. Not sure about them using lense tape and branching the wiring?

Steve
Old 30 July 2010, 01:48 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Sorry to hear your car failed and you have had to pay out a lot to get it through.

I feel cheeky in saying this, but my car passed it's MOT yesterday even on Co2 simply because I have a very good Sports CAT in the down pipe. I didn't have Meth in the tank at the time so maybe that would have made a difference?

Only Advisory note was "Noisey Exhaust".

Cannot understand why people go Full De-cat myself? It doesn't take a much time to keep on top of things that could cause the car to fail at MOT time. I always give my car a pre MOT check before it goes there.

Hope the car is in full working order when you pick it up. Not sure about them using lense tape and branching the wiring?

Steve
Steve,

what CAT are you using? reading various threads it seems that some some cars are still failing with a sports CAT?

Prodrive one's are like rocking horse sh*t to get hold of!!!

Sorry for the thread hijack
Old 30 July 2010, 06:21 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts

well i would say that thats a bit of harsh comment as i now they have had a few problems then you name a garage which dont but they will not rip people of and if they make a mistake they hold there hands up, but any way i now use vey sport .com as andy vey has left triton and started on his own and he is the one in the now and ringo is a good man to down there and they have always doen my car proud forged lump six sppeed coversion simtec mapping 390bhp on my 20g not bad for the last two years and not a enigne problem yet touch would : >
Old 30 July 2010, 07:55 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

The reverse/fog light drama has been sorted, as per the info i got above. car feels ok now with the work done, and my pocket £237 lighter.

Advisorys - Noisey exhaust (Duh, it is a scooby. With a mongoose exhaust), corroded springs (new ones being ordered), brake lines are wearing (any suggestions for replacement?)

Its passed, but the next few months ive got some work on!
Old 31 July 2010, 12:43 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
Steve,

what CAT are you using? reading various threads it seems that some some cars are still failing with a sports CAT?

Prodrive one's are like rocking horse sh*t to get hold of!!!

Sorry for the thread hijack
Hello mate,

I have a RCM sports cat. They are rated to 350bhp according to the website.

Mine has been running sweet for around 3 years now. Not sure how long it will last tbh with Anti Lag etc. But time will tell.

Prodrive Sport cats are great. If you can get one of those worth every penny. Other wise if money isn't tight then get an RCM one.

Steve
Old 31 July 2010, 09:55 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxcook
Name and shame?!?! I would be doing more than that dude and wouldn't of paid either.