Sponsored by:

Midlands Scoobies BEWARE THEFT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2001, 03:03 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just a quick note for the Midlands Boys to be extra careful with their scoobies at night. Last night at 2am caught 2 lads trying to break into my parents house after my car keys. They didn't get in, but had tried to force every window ion the ground floor. When I rumbled them, they stood outside the front of the house, and demand they keys!!! They did a runner as soon as I got the front door open, and jumped into another dark blue scooby obviously aquired that night, as both number platres were gone.

Anyway the boys in blue turned up, and they said that 8 scoobies had gone missing in the last 10 days in and around Solihull/Birmingham. They even took the garage doors off some blokes house and nicked his EVO6 last, so they are pretty determined. So all be extra careful, and take those keys safely to bed.

Duncan

Old 25 February 2001, 03:27 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Angry

w@nkers!!
Old 25 February 2001, 05:09 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Angry

Message received, loud and clear...

(Sigh)

B@st@rds
Old 25 February 2001, 05:15 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Question

So who actually buys all these stolen Scoobies??? Surely anyone with half a brain cell runs an HPI check on a car like this that's costing you £10k+

If dozy pillocks stopped buying our nicked cars from "a guy down the pub", then maybe we could get the crime rate down a bit...

It's also about time that insurance and tax and registration were linked properly too - we can catch people dodging the TV Licence, but not people with no car tax or insurance?? Huh? Don't we have computers now??

To$$ers.

Steve
Old 25 February 2001, 05:41 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Time to make hand-guns legal again, and the use of lethal force justified if you catch such scum on your property! I don't know how much "commission" these tw@ts make on a car, but if they stand to lose a knee-cap (or worse) then they may decide to try getting a _proper_ job.

mb
Old 25 February 2001, 07:00 PM
Neil Reay
Scooby Regular

Angry

Lets hope the scum get caught soon

Trouble is they will get a small fine, months community service and will be back out doing the same.
Old 25 February 2001, 07:07 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

From every angle the motorist is just an easy target it would seem!
just my two penneth worth!
Andy
Old 25 February 2001, 07:29 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right!!!

We need a protocol... some really good advice from everyone to find the best way of protecting yourself against this.

The things I think are important (please add more) are...

1) Personal Safety. At the end of the day, I would much rather they took the car than break into the house / get physical, etc

2) Deterrent. What are the best ways of making it too much hassle / too dangerous / whatever so that they just don't bother with yours?

3) Car Security. What are the best ways to make the car un-stealable (if there is such a thing). And if there *isn't* such a thing, are there systems which will make them just dump the car somewhere rather than continue to nick it? Like tracker or a system I heard about that stops the car a couple of miles down the road (to get them away from you), or one that you can phone from your mobile to shut the engine down, etc?

It's all very well worrying about it happening, lets do something about it and think up a good action plan.

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 February 2001, 07:50 PM
Leigh
Scooby Regular

Angry

This is getting REALLY out of hand!
I have a few suggestions:

1)Never leave your car just sitting on the drive. If you have a garage, put the car away as soon as you get in. When approaching your road/street, check you're not being followed. If you think you are, take a detour and if they continue to follow you call the police.If the thieves don't know where your car is kept, they can't nick it!

2)Secure your car. Fit the best alarm, immobiliser, mechanical lock(s) you can afford, and some kind of tracking device.

3)Secure your property. Window locks, heavy duty door locks, an alarm on your garage and one to your house that can be switched to just monitor downstairs at night. Keep the keys upstairs, and keep a mobile phone by your bed, in case your phone line is cut.
If your missus has a company car that she don't give a monkey's about (like mine does! ) use it to block the garage door from the outside.

I know it's a sad state of affairs when you have to follow such measures, but if you want to hang on to your pride and joy, I'm afraid it's necessary!

Keep the suggestions coming!

Leigh
Old 25 February 2001, 08:03 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Leigh,
can I add to point 3 on the house alarm pay that little bit extra for an alarm that is remotely monitored and has a panic button upstairs, even if you don't set the alarm for downstairs at night you at least have the option of triggering it yourself. I am told by my alarm co. that when the panic button is triggered they don't ring the house to confirm they just ring the cops, at least that way they will round sharpish.

How crazy is it that the UK has the lowest road fatalities in europe but the highest car crime rates IN THE WORLD along with Burglaries and and what does the government do: more speed traps, higher fines for speeding drivers, more police catching drivers and **** all about car crime.

Andy
Sorry rant over.

[This message has been edited by Andy W (edited 25 February 2001).]
Old 26 February 2001, 03:39 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Angry

Fat Boy Slim

We live in the Solihull area and were burgled about 15 months ago, but didn't get my dad's car. Said this a few times but think it is worth repeating:

1. Get a good alarm and immobiliser.

2. We have the car in the drive with a gear box lock (what saved our car, for sure). Worth the money - buy one now.

3. Mum's car parked on drive blocking in Scoob. Mum's car also has alarm and immobiliser.

4. Scoob also has disclock. Great visual deterent - rotates round steering wheel, so very hard to get any leverage on it.

5. House is alarmed - all rooms AND garage - even though car not in there. Also have flood lights front and rear of house.

6. Also have big dog.

7. Keys kept well out of sight.

I think, from what's been said on the BBS that people are starting to realise that a house alarm makes good sense - think about it - as soon as they break in the alarm goes off. Not sure about them, but I wouldn't hang around, as draw a little attention to themselves.

Dad also belongs to a scheme in which we are notified by e-mail if there are any burglaries in our area, car related or not. Quite useful tips. Forgot name of scheme, but will find out and let you all know, so you can see whether something similar is running in your area.

Hope this has been of some help.

Tom
Old 26 February 2001, 03:45 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Angry

Fat Boy Slim

We live in the Solihull area and were burgled about 15 months ago, but didn't get my dad's car. Said this a few times but think it is worth repeating:

2. We have the car in the drive with a gear box lock (what saved our car, for sure). Worth the money - buy one now.

3. Mum's car parked on drive blocking in Scoob. Mum's car also has alarm and immobiliser.

4. Scoob also has disclock. Great visual deterent - rotates round steering wheel, so very hard to get any leverage on it.

5. House is alarmed - all rooms AND garage - even though car not in there. Also have flood lights front and rear of house.

6. Keys kept well out of sight.

7. Also have big dog.

I think, from what's been said on the BBS that people are starting to realise that a house alarm makes good sense - think about it - as soon as they break in the alarm goes off. Not sure about them, but I wouldn't hang around, as draw a little attention to themselves.

Dad also belongs to a scheme in which we are notified by e-mail if there are any burglaries in our area, car related or not. Quite useful tips. Forgot name of scheme, but will find out and let you all know, so you can see whether something similar is running in your area.

Millband,

Don't think cars are sold to anyone. Police told us that they're used as get-away cars in ram raids. That's what my mates Impreza was used for.

Tom
Old 26 February 2001, 04:59 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Angry

We live in the Solihull area and were burgled about 15 months ago, but they didn't get my dad's car. I've said the following a few times, but think it's worth repeating:

2. We have the car in the drive with a gear box lock (reversed in) - which definitely saved the car. Buy one if not done so already. Worth every penny (cost about £200). I Scooby garage fitted ours.

3. Mum's car parked in drive blocking in Scoob. Mum's car also got alarm and immobiliser.

4. Scoob also got a disclok, which is a great visual deterent. Rotates around steering wheel, so hard to get any leverage on it. Ignore what others say about it being hard to put on - we can do it in about 10 secs.

5. House is alarmed - all rooms and garage - even though car not in garage. Also have flood lights at front and rear of house.

6. Keys kept upstairs.

7. Get extra bolts for windows/patio doors, etc. We had extra bolts on patio, which did its job. They couldn't take door off rails - which is what they like to do. Got through window though, despite them being double glazed, so don't think that you're alright if you've double glazing.

8. Tell your neighbours to keep on the lookout and to explain anything suspicious.

9. Also have big dog and two mean cats. They don't affect the alarm, though.

I think, from what I've seen on the BBS, that people are starting to realise that a house alarm is a must. Too right. Think about it - as soon as they break in the alarm goes off. Some sceptics may say that this may not stop them, but I wouldn't hang around if I were them. House alarms ain't exactly subtle when they go off.

Dad also belongs to scheme in which you're e-mailed if there are burglaries in your area, car related or not. Quite useful tips. Don't know name of scheme off-hand, but will post as soon as I know.

Millband,

Don't think cars are sold on to anyone. Police told us that they are used as get away cars for ram raids. My mate's Impreza was robbed for a ram raid and then torched.

Tom.
Old 26 February 2001, 05:02 AM
Tom Evans
Scooby Regular

Red face

Sorry about the first two. Tried twice and didn't post it properly. Whoops...

Tom.
Old 26 February 2001, 08:49 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Just a stupid point that's been alredy well made, but...

I'd really advocate not using your full name and location on this board: from the last post, we now know the location of a subaru, how it's secured, where the keys are kept etc.

I changed username after an attempted burglary made me think hard about security.
Old 26 February 2001, 02:27 PM
Fat Boy Slim
Scooby Regular

The boys in blue said that most of the cras that went missing have been used, for an evens fun, and nothing more. They also said trackers are great but also said that installation compnaies have had to become smarter in they way they install them, i.e. random locations, and fake boxes because these guys learn where they are, and the coppers end up tracking a lamp posts that aquire them after the car is stollen.

Shot Gun and hand Grenades for me B'day I think!!!!
Old 26 February 2001, 02:54 PM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

can I just add that you should not kleep the steering lock key on the normal scoob key ring.

I had a car nicked some time ago because I had it all on the same fob - so they unlocked the doors, de-activated the alarm and removed the steering lock.

It's a bit of a pain, but once you get used to it its far safer.

I bloody hope they don't nick my new my01. I'm hoping they won't want it. so keep all those reports coming in about the my01 being a fugly slow car please.

rapiddescent
Old 26 February 2001, 03:11 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Also do something unexpected - like remove the fuel-pump relay, or unplug the cam-position sensor, or unplug/reroute to an in-car switch some other sensor that the car won't start without, or all of them.

When done in addition to an immobiliser and the such, these can make a car virtually unstartable, and are tricky to diagnose if you are unaware of them. Keep the knowledge secret, telling only those who <B>need</B> to know, so if the car DOES go missing, at least you know who to blame
Old 26 February 2001, 03:28 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Sorry to put a damp squid on things, but if they want it they will get it!!!

The ONLY person you can stop is an oppourtunist!!! I have very strong views on this, but they are only my views!!!!

1) Get an alarm. Any old thing as long as it is CAT1.

2) Get a DISCLOCK. Excellent visual deterrant, nigh on impossible to get off, unless you have a set of gas bottles etc!!!

IMHO Tracking devices are not worth there salt, cause if somebody gets past 1&2, they are professionals!!! ..... and the car is more likely to have been trailered away!!

Another point that I feel I need to make, is the parking of cars at night. These kind of cars NEED to be kept in a garage. This shouldn't have to be the way, but hey guys i'm sorry. Like they say......out of sight out of mind!!!! If you have a garage, don't leave the car on the drive.....stuff it straight in the garage (not literally!! )

It all helps!!!

But like I said, if they want it lads.....believe me, they WILL take it!!!

Shaun.
Old 26 February 2001, 03:37 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
if they had some sort of deterant out there it would stop them doing it.....
like chop off their hands when they catch um!! don't think they would do it again!!!

there again, some lefty doooo gooooder would give them a disability benifit that allows them to carry a spare false hand around with them, that can be used 4 driving!!

Phil
Old 26 February 2001, 07:13 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

Sadly, diskloks, barrier deadlocks, immobilisers and the like won't stop the thugs who break into your house and physically threaten you for all the keys.

Still, Jack and Tony announced today that they will "clamp down" on the "small hardcore of hardened criminals", so everything is going to be fluffy bunnies!

mb
Old 26 February 2001, 07:44 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

[[/B][/QUOTE]

I think most ofese cars will be used in crime either ram raids or whathave you, I think there will be something on police stop about some nasties from West midlands who were caught by the police using the helicopter. Consider the stop posts that can be put on a driveway, Everything you can do to deter these scum the better it is. Dont be fooled because you may live in a low crime area they will find out were the easy targets are eventually , dont let the scoobs go the way of the cossies in the early 90s
Old 26 February 2001, 07:55 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Shaun:
<B>Sorry to put a damp squid on things

[/quote]

LOL
Bringing a brief note of frivolity, i'm getting this vision of a giant creature from 20,000 leagues under the sea guarding the Scoob.........

Back to thread....it's true up to a point that if someone wants it bad enough they will take it, but the idea is to make it difficult so they will go and nick someone elses instead - unfortunately it's going to be another one of us
Old 02 March 2001, 10:03 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks for the post FBS.

Had to leave my P1 outside the Jarvis hotel in Solihull this week for 2 days and 2 night, followed by a stint in the car park at the NEC.

Left nothing to chance though;

Swapped a critical system fuse for a blown one.
Cleared the car out of anything valuable.
Fitted the Disklok
Phoned Trackstar and let them know that if the car moved during the time, it was being stolen.
Left it nearly empty of fuel.
Kept the keys on me at all times.

Anyway, afterward, the car was still there. Had a customer with a rather special 22B (480Bhp!) leave his car at the NEC as well. He was somewhat more relaxed about it than me.

Regards
KurtW
Old 02 March 2001, 11:25 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the warning, I live in a fairly rural area and my main concern is someone trying to get the keys off me, I have faith in the security kit fitted to the car.

Is there anything we can legally do to these furqing scum, maybe pepper spray or a tazer or something? I am bloody sick of worrying about my car and hearing stories of good for nothing w*nkers ruining the ownership of a fabulous car.

Suggestions then chaps? (I know if two or three blokes turn up you've got a bit of a problem etc).

Whilst I think about it some guy was talking about some mega-secret US military security thing just before I went on holiday (two/three weeks ago)... did anything come of that?

ta,
Matt
Old 02 March 2001, 11:34 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

If they want it they will have it I'm afraid.

I have upgraded security on the car including a pager thanks to craigamungos and have separate alarm systems in the garage and the house (garage alarm also sets house alarm off). I also have five panic buttons in the house and six floodlights overlooking the garden, drive, garage and also an auto on lighting system inside the garage that come on as soon as the door handle is turned.

Unfortunatly if someone walked up to me with a knife, gun, baseball bat while I was cleaning the car or getting it out the garage it would all be for nothing.

Lee
Old 02 March 2001, 11:39 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

car.

Is there anything we can legally do to these furqing scum, maybe pepper spray or a tazer or something? I am bloody sick of worrying about my car and hearing stories of good for nothing w*nkers ruining the ownership of a fabulous car.

Suggestions then chaps? (I know if two or three blokes turn up you've got a bit of a problem etc).

There is a product made by walk easy called TRIDENT a triple action personal attack alarm 130db alarm ultra-violet identifier
repulsive odour..You may be able to get these free at your local cop shop. walk easy 01223 892623. Legal I think
Old 02 March 2001, 11:43 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

hmm, that sounds interesting...might try and get hold of one of those...thanks...

one thing that has crossed my mind... is it easy for the scum to get the address of a vehicle from its number plate?
Old 03 March 2001, 12:04 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mattski:
<B>hmm, that sounds interesting...might try and get hold of one of those...thanks...

one thing that has crossed my mind... is it easy for the scum to get the address of a vehicle from its number plate?[/quote]

YES
Old 03 March 2001, 12:48 PM
kenny.c
Scooby Regular

What gearlock fits the scooby ? I have tried
2 different ones but the handbrake and the
gearstick seems to be too close together.

Quick Reply: Midlands Scoobies BEWARE THEFT!!!