Sponsored by:

re-build re-map

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2010, 01:09 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-build re-map

im about to get an engine re-build on my 02 wrx . current mods are pinks,vf34 turbo,full de-cat,up pipe,fmic,induction kit,and walbro fp.
after it has been re-built i will obviously have to run the engine in , so is it safe to drive around without having it re-mapped ? also i have had my car re-mapped in the past so will that be re-set apreciate some help quite confused by it all ! thanx cant wait to get bak on tha road
Old 13 June 2010, 01:25 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

As long as your sticking to the same set up you had before the rebuild it should be ok. if your replacing a 2.0l with another 2.0l it will be ok, but if your replacing a 2.0l with a 2.5 then best see your mapper TBH.

Dont know what you mean by reset? but the previous remap should be fine as well if thats what you mean.
Old 13 June 2010, 02:00 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

thanks for reply mate i just thought that i would have to get it remapped again after the rebuild ! i dont know much as far as mapping concerned .well that sounds cool will get it mapped again after anyway as last time it was mapped one of my piston rings was blown no-one knew why it only made 301 bhp until it started chucking clouds of smoke out the exhaust a couple of days later
Old 13 June 2010, 08:40 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be worth at least getting the map checked IMO.
Old 13 June 2010, 08:47 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitly worth getting it checked, the reason it failed before could still be there and it is a nice way of confirming it is all back together and running fine now and when you have just paid out for a rebuild it is a good way to ensure your investment is safe etc.

Simon
Old 13 June 2010, 08:49 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
As long as your sticking to the same set up you had before the rebuild it should be ok. if your replacing a 2.0l with another 2.0l it will be ok, but if your replacing a 2.0l with a 2.5 then best see your mapper TBH.

Dont know what you mean by reset? but the previous remap should be fine as well if thats what you mean.
just be careful as compression ratio will effect it big time, so just because it would perhapsd be same size engine it can still need mapping if head gasket thickness is different etc

Simon
Old 13 June 2010, 09:32 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
definitly worth getting it checked, the reason it failed before could still be there and it is a nice way of confirming it is all back together and running fine now and when you have just paid out for a rebuild it is a good way to ensure your investment is safe etc.

Simon
this is wierd but u are the one who mapped my car lol
i wasnt there on the day , but i had work done by tfs racing and stuart took it to surrey rolling road for u to map it ! stuart said that u thought it was gonna make about 330-340 on rollers and was unsure why it didnt
i was on your website last night thinking of gettin it mapped with u again once its re-built, can u tell me how much it will cost , and will it be safe to map it straight after the re-build or will i need to run it in ? thanx:cheers for your help

Last edited by initialD; 13 June 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 13 June 2010, 09:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Oh yes I remember the car.

in my usual check around under the bonnet I found the fuel pressure vac hose had a split.. and replaced it.. was worried at that point because it would have been running lean etc.. but all seemed okay and no obvious issues other than as you say it only made 301bhp and engine was noisy but nothing untoward.

Obviously the ringland was gone already hence the low power but must have been early stages.

Simon
Old 13 June 2010, 09:44 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

As a general rule, you won't hurt an engine in the running in phase even if it hasn't been "mapped" specially for it. Assuming it hasn't got ridiculously aggressive ignition set at medium load and is detting on part throttle that is.
Nobody blows engines up if driving at the speed limit sensibly! What tends to kill new engines are things like unnoticed water and oil leaks. If it runs reasonably well, the chances are it'll be fine until you're good to go.
Any professional organisation will test a new build thoroughly before it leaves.
Old 13 June 2010, 09:46 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

The trick is figuring out whether the organisation that built your engine is professional or not.
Old 13 June 2010, 09:55 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dynamix
The trick is figuring out whether the organisation that built your engine is professional or not.
If TFS Racing have carried out the work I wouldn't have anything to worry about.
Stuart is a good mechanic and knows his stuff.

Steve
Old 13 June 2010, 10:22 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Sorry I wasn't implying that he should have anything to worry about.
Old 13 June 2010, 10:30 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Oh yes I remember the car.

in my usual check around under the bonnet I found the fuel pressure vac hose had a split.. and replaced it.. was worried at that point because it would have been running lean etc.. but all seemed okay and no obvious issues other than as you say it only made 301bhp and engine was noisy but nothing untoward.

Obviously the ringland was gone already hence the low power but must have been early stages.

Simon
yeah i think it was early stages . things just got worse and worse after adding extra power as to be expected ! so once built do u reccomend having you map it soon as ? or take it easy for running in period ? thanx simon
Old 13 June 2010, 10:32 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as above there is a lot of garages out there who will rebuild a engine but may cut corners and they not be 100% sure know what there are doing...properly
Old 13 June 2010, 10:40 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

they seem to be very professional , i had a tour round their facility and was amazed by the ammount of equipment and machines they had ! they must of had 3-400 engines (literally)on shelves cranks and pistons all reconditioned everywhere i looked and also as long as i get serviced there, i get a 5 year warranty with them plus they get the business , there was 3-4 scoobys out front fingers crossed
Old 13 June 2010, 10:49 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Sorry I wasn't implying that he should have anything to worry about.
I know Duncan. Was just helping the OP's mind to rest that nothing to worry about thats all.

Steve
Old 13 June 2010, 11:00 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by initialD
yeah i think it was early stages . things just got worse and worse after adding extra power as to be expected ! so once built do u reccomend having you map it soon as ? or take it easy for running in period ? thanx simon
running in as has been said if same cc then should be no issue for normal light low rpm running in etc..

just needs checking once run in

Simon
Old 13 June 2010, 02:33 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

running in as has been said if same cc then should be no issue for normal light low rpm running in etc..

just needs checking once run in

Simon
ok will get it contact soon about a remap thanks for ya help everyone
ps whats an O.P ?