engine trouble

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2010, 11:53 PM
scooby2004
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine trouble

Hi all.
Ive got some serious issue that i need resolved. Ive got a 2004 impreza wrx. Ive had the car a while now and i recently gave the car to a friend to borrow for a while . As you might guess after i got the car back it lay parked at my garage for a while and when my brother went and started it, the bottom end was rattling. after a check of the oil i realised it had none . I stripped the engine and have sent the crank and the conrods away to get checked as i was going to put racing bearings into it. Ive now been told that the crank is damaged as well as two of the con rods. Rather than replacing the parts required ive decided to put a new block in it, as my friends breaking one that has been set on fire but the engine seems ok. My issue is,the engine my friend has got is from an older version. Ive had a look at the engine and it does seem to be the same. I'm only intending to use the block from the older engine and using everything else from the original engine. Does anyone know if this will work? I dont want to take the engine and then realise after it, It wont work.
I have been told told that it will work but i'd like to make sure first. Ive also been told that the older engines have a little less power? Is that true?
So many questions????????????
thanks
Old 30 May 2010, 12:46 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

How much older? As the heads could be different.
Old 30 May 2010, 12:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Power has nothing to do with the block, that is to do with the ecu, the internals on pre 2001 engines are not as good as the later ones, and really for the cost of a new block that could well be suspect and cost you more money in the long run, you could have bought the nitrided x drilled crank with 6k miles on it off pistonheads for like 175 quid (600 new), which is far better than a standard replacement item anyway.

Personally I think you may have taken a slightly more scenic and expensive route to what you could have by just rebuilding your original unit.

Tony
Old 30 May 2010, 07:19 AM
linky
Scooby Regular

All of your ancillaries will fit on the new block.

Cheers
Col