Sponsored by:

turboed 2.0 sport????????

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2010, 08:44 PM
scoobyimpreza
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turboed 2.0 sport????????

i have a impreza s reg 2.0 sport all done up and ready to be turboed. can i turbo that engine? and if so what do i need? turbo,intercooler,inlet manifold, turbo downpipe, injectors,fuel pump, ecu maybe?

Last edited by scoobyimpreza; 18 May 2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 18 May 2010, 09:03 PM
sean95wrx
Scooby Regular

why didn't you just buy a turbo to start with
Old 18 May 2010, 09:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Try a search on here. It's nowhere NEAR as easy as it sounds, basically, by the time you've finished, you'd have spent about double what you would selling yours and BUYING a turbo, plus insurance companies don't like conversions like that.

The wiring loom needs to be virtually completely changed too.

When you say, "ready to be turbo'ed", what, exactly do you mean? Have you changed the brakes, suspension, gearbox, clutch etc?
Old 18 May 2010, 09:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Try a search on here. It's nowhere NEAR as easy as it sounds, basically, by the time you've finished, you'd have spent about double what you would selling yours and BUYING a turbo, plus insurance companies don't like conversions like that.

The wiring loom needs to be virtually completely changed too.

When you say, "ready to be turbo'ed", what, exactly do you mean? Have you changed the brakes, suspension, gearbox, clutch etc?
Old 18 May 2010, 09:08 PM
scoobyimpreza
Scooby Newbie

lol i new that was comming. only 19 and insurance is way to hi. the only other idea was to get one for spares and do the conversion.
Old 18 May 2010, 09:16 PM
scoobyimpreza
Scooby Newbie

have got sti version 4 4 pot front brakes and 2 pot rear conversuion. version 4 suspension,full interior and exterior off version 4 ,and wrx gearbox(not yet fitted) not sure on version, can i not just change the engine loom and join it into mine.im not worried about air con lol.

Last edited by scoobyimpreza; 18 May 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 18 May 2010, 09:17 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

your insurance would be a lot higher than a standard turbo impreza anyway if you managed a turbo conversion so its really not worth the hassle,besides you won't get insured under 25 anyway.Keep the sport for a few years and build up some driving experience and no claims bonus
Old 18 May 2010, 09:18 PM
seddomyster
Scooby Regular

for what your going to pay out mate ur best off paying insurance an gettin a turbo. get a uk turbo. prob work out cheaper overall
Old 18 May 2010, 09:23 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as above either pay the insurance for a turbo whatever the price may be, or wait till you get some experience under your belt by this time your insurance will be cheaper.
Old 18 May 2010, 09:28 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

I think he is going to try and get away without paying the insurance? If so you need to get a import, some of them were registered as non turbo Imprezas, and people buy them to register as a normal 2.0 Sport or GX I believe
Old 18 May 2010, 09:40 PM
Nocturnal Nick
Scooby Regular

I wanted to do the same to my 2.0 sport but im gonna do like everyone else said! by an actual turbo
Old 18 May 2010, 10:53 PM
badman1972
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1
I think he is going to try and get away without paying the insurance? If so you need to get a import, some of them were registered as non turbo Imprezas, and people buy them to register as a normal 2.0 Sport or GX I believe
Thats how I took it too, meaning he wants to turbo his car but still insure it as 2.0L Sport??
Old 19 May 2010, 09:20 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

If that's the case, best of luck. You'll need it.

I've never met a 19 year old that hasn't been in some sort of prang. All it needs is for some insurance assessor to SEE it and you are in the deep do-do's.

I'd NOT do it.
Old 19 May 2010, 09:24 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

getting more common for assessors to check up on cars too....credit crunch and all.... but then again the number of corsa's running around with non standard body kits and engines..I wonder how many cars out there are truly covered 100%?

Last edited by scooby L; 19 May 2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 19 May 2010, 09:31 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May aswell just buy a WRX/STi and run around uninsured... oh the joys of insurance hikes due uninsured drivers
Old 19 May 2010, 09:40 AM
Nickvilla20
Scooby Regular

Its has been done

Seen a thread on another forum he had to change nearly everything and he had access to ramps ect

personally dont see the point
Old 19 May 2010, 08:55 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nickvilla20
Its has been done

Seen a thread on another forum he had to change nearly everything and he had access to ramps ect

personally dont see the point
nobody is disputing weather it can or cant be done as anything is possible,
what people are questioning are the morals of the OP as to deliberately misleading the insurance companies.
Old 20 May 2010, 08:33 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
If that's the case, best of luck. You'll need it.

I've never met a 19 year old that hasn't been in some sort of prang. All it needs is for some insurance assessor to SEE it and you are in the deep do-do's.

I'd NOT do it.
I got my UK turbo when I was 18, had it over 3 years now and have never been in a prang, nor have I ever been pulled over by the police, or had a speeding ticket.

But to the op, if you turbo it, change gearbox and have changed the breaks etc, and do not declare the modifications to the insurer, they have the right to refuse insurance if you do get in a crash. So if you crash into somebody and they end up paralysed or something, you will be in a lot of trouble legally and financially.

This very situation is one of the main reasons why everybody pays such high insurance premiums.
Old 20 May 2010, 12:43 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
But to the op, if you turbo it, change gearbox and have changed the brakes etc, and do not declare the modifications to the insurer, they have the right to refuse insurance if you do get in a crash.
Its not really the right to refuse insurance, they will just invalidate your insurance as you have not declared what the car really is or work carried out beyond factory standard, then expect a visit from your local police officer if your unfortunate enough, or just the 6+ points and somewhat large fine for driving without insurance, confiscation of your car and wave goodbye to it as it becomes a small block of metal.

Tony
Old 20 May 2010, 12:50 PM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

If you're chassis is in very good nic then by all means it could do you well to do a conversion on your Sport. But the price of labour to do the mammoth job and of course sourcing all the parts could rocket and you could well be better off selling up, and just purchasing a Turbo Impreza.

The non-turbo flat four engine is different to that of turbo models, so it's simpyl not possible to just "bolt on" on turbo. The bare minimum you would need is the engine, gearbox, turbo and intercooler, exhaust, and wiring loom from a turbo Impreza. And that's before you (inevitably) look at the brakes and suspension.